U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 PM

181 posts, read 368,928 times

Advertisements

fenced patios are not suppose to be dog kennels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 PM

42 posts, read 51,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Or run away and get lost.... or be stolen...
Wow, a lot of bad things can happen to dogs. Maybe it's better not to own them. Also on my way home today, I could get hit by a car. Maybe I should just stay here. Safer.

Sorry, don't mean to get snarky. I just want what's best for my companion and me. And having a (fenced) backyard would be that, thus my goal of finding one. Anyhow, I don't know why anyone would want to steal my dog. She lived at the pound for a good month and no one wanted to her when she was free and legal for the having.

Anyhow, I do appreciate all the great advice so far. Those websites have a lot of potential, I'll definitely monitor them closely.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:36 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,563,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLexGeneral View Post
Anyhow, I don't know why anyone would want to steal my dog. She lived at the pound for a good month and no one wanted to her when she was free and legal for the having.
Because then they can ask for a reward when they "find" her. It happens.

As a dog trainer (though I do agility, specifically), I would highly, highly recommend against giving your dog free reign of the outside. Dogs do not need (or necessarily want) that during the day, and it just opens your dog up to a lot of unnecessary possibilities. 99% of dogs do nothing but sleep while you are at work (and bark at the mailman), and the safest place for them to do that is inside your house. You absolutely should not feel guilty for limiting her outside time to hours when she can be supervised (by you, or a dog walker, or someone you trust). It is the responsible thing to do for your pup. Honestly, if the shelter knew you were going to let her stay outside unsupervised all day, my guess is they wouldn't have adopted her to you. The shelter I got my dog from and the rescues I've volunteered with all make you sign paperwork saying the dog will never be left outside unsupervised. (Not that it's enforceable, but they really don't want you doing it).

Anyway, I don't think you will find a landlord willing to let you install a doggy door. It is difficult enough finding pet friendly rentals (we had to do it a couple years ago), but that's adding a big issue for a landlord. They are a safety issue for break ins, a potential problem for wildlife and/or bugs coming IN to eat the pet's food (even the kind that operate based on the dog's collar have been known to malfunction), and permanently altering a door. You may find a hands off landlord, but I would assume that isn't going to be a valid option and have a plan B. Find a yard you guys can enjoy together in the evenings and on weekends, and hire a dog walker for mid-day walks so you don't have to rush home.

If you want recommendations for good daycare/dog walkers/trainers/pet stores, I have a plethora of them.

I don't think anyone is trying to criticize you or be rude to you (at least I'm not!) but I really hope you rethink this idea.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,531,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLexGeneral View Post
Thank you so much for the suggestion! It's still a few months until I move (this fall). The area is just so big, that I don't even know where to start looking. So specific area recommendations are super helpful. I will definitely keep Reston in mind.
I agree - give South Lakes Reston a look when you come to visit. With the Metro arriving at the end of the year or early next you will be just under an hour to Foggy Bottom on the Metro. Right now with the Bus/Metro it is about an hour.

Your dog will LOVE the 55 miles to trails Reston has to offer - with the best trails in the South Lakes Area.
Reston Association - Interactive Map Guide

If your dog needs buddies to play with - check out the Reston dog park.
http://www.restondogs.org/

Here are some photos I took to show people South Lakes Reston
Photo Tour: Reston - South Lakes

In your price range you should be able to get a townhouse on one of the lakes.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 PM

230 posts, read 350,264 times
I'm in the same boat... selling a home where I am moving from and looking to rent until I can buy. I will contact a realtor too. I'm going to be commuting in the Arlington. I have 2 cats and pet birds.

Is Craigslist a safe place to look for rentals? I see it mentioned a lot, but everyone hears the horror stories I guess.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Because then they can ask for a reward when they "find" her. It happens.

As a dog trainer (though I do agility, specifically), I would highly, highly recommend against giving your dog free reign of the outside. Dogs do not need (or necessarily want) that during the day, and it just opens your dog up to a lot of unnecessary possibilities. 99% of dogs do nothing but sleep while you are at work (and bark at the mailman), and the safest place for them to do that is inside your house. You absolutely should not feel guilty for limiting her outside time to hours when she can be supervised (by you, or a dog walker, or someone you trust). It is the responsible thing to do for your pup. Honestly, if the shelter knew you were going to let her stay outside unsupervised all day, my guess is they wouldn't have adopted her to you. The shelter I got my dog from and the rescues I've volunteered with all make you sign paperwork saying the dog will never be left outside unsupervised. (Not that it's enforceable, but they really don't want you doing it).

Anyway, I don't think you will find a landlord willing to let you install a doggy door. It is difficult enough finding pet friendly rentals (we had to do it a couple years ago), but that's adding a big issue for a landlord. They are a safety issue for break ins, a potential problem for wildlife and/or bugs coming IN to eat the pet's food (even the kind that operate based on the dog's collar have been known to malfunction), and permanently altering a door. You may find a hands off landlord, but I would assume that isn't going to be a valid option and have a plan B. Find a yard you guys can enjoy together in the evenings and on weekends, and hire a dog walker for mid-day walks so you don't have to rush home.

If you want recommendations for good daycare/dog walkers/trainers/pet stores, I have a plethora of them.

I don't think anyone is trying to criticize you or be rude to you (at least I'm not!) but I really hope you rethink this idea.
Thank you for this helpful reply. Maybe others weren't trying to criticize/be rude but without any reasoning (as you provided) or any advice (again as you provided), that's how it came off. You make a very good point with the doggy door. I just know I'll be working long hours on unpredictable days too often, and I hate the idea that she will be left inside all alone with no way to relieve herself. But I guess I'll just have to deal with it as a consequence of having my job.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 AM

171 posts, read 171,239 times
Look for rentals on Long & Foster's website. Often updated more quickly than Zillow.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
I'm in the same boat... selling a home where I am moving from and looking to rent until I can buy. I will contact a realtor too. I'm going to be commuting in the Arlington. I have 2 cats and pet birds.

Is Craigslist a safe place to look for rentals? I see it mentioned a lot, but everyone hears the horror stories I guess.
I've had some fantastic experience with Craiglist in other cities. I wouldn't do it sight unseen though.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:40 AM

790 posts, read 1,606,752 times
My two brothers LOVED the idea of leaving their dogs outside. One dog -- a beautiful black Lab -- was stolen from the backyard (and damn, we loved that dog). The other was beaten within an inch of her life by a pack of wild pigs in a blood-strewn battle (this is in the Texas Hill Country). I'm pretty much opposed to leaving dogs outside. But hey....not my issue.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 PM

Well now I feel traumatized. Anyhow, I promise to rethink my dog plans.

But the original question remains. So far great city suggestions include Reston and Vienna. Are there any others? Are places closer (Falls Church, Arlington, etc) going to be out of my price range or dominated by luxury apartments rather than townhouses/rowhouses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia