Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 AM

42 posts, read 59,481 times

Advertisements

Hi, all, and thank you in advance for your advice.

I am starting a job in DC (on the orange/blue lines) and know I want to live in Northern Virginia. However, I don't know as much as I wish I did about the different areas. So I am hoping local knowledge can help me out.

I have a few key things I am looking for. First, a not-unreasonable commute to DC (say 60 minutes to Foggy Bottom). Second, a fenced outdoor area for my dog. I am going to be working long hours in DC and can't stand the thought of her being stuck inside all day. So a backyard/patio/whatever would be a huge deal for me. I thought of doggie daycare but my work hours will be too unpredicatable, and there will be too many days where I can't make it before the daycare closes for the day. So I would rather hire a dog walker and make sure she has roaming ability all day. Third, it needs to be fairly safe since I'll be coming home after dark alone often.

So is there anything around that fits what I'm looking for? Areas with small townhomes with backyards perhaps? I'll be living alone with the pup so I'm not looking for anything big. If all this doesn't narrow it down enough, I would prefer to be along the orange line.

Oh and I'm looking to spend around $2500/mo (+/- $500).

Am I being unreasonable? Do I need to contact an agency? I'm just feeling very lost right now.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
I think you are on the right track as far as looking for a small townhome. I would try Craigslist first, before realtors. You might have to get permission to install a dog door, though, and that might be tricky. Also, it's not cheap - my mom just got one and it was over 1000 (that was after paying for another cheaper one that didn't work). I am not sure about accessibility to metro - there are just so few places like that to begin with. Hopefully someone else will have more information about that.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:57 AM

870 posts, read 2,110,052 times
With your budget, I think you should be able to find something. However, I wouldn't necessarily focus on townhomes alone, if you want a yard. When we moved here, we saw many advertisements for townhomes with "fenced-in back yards." Well, it turns out that many of those yards are the size of an office cubicle. The largest fenced-in townhome yard we saw was maybe 15 feet deep. If you have a small dog, that may be sufficient, but it not exactly space for an animal to stretch its legs and jog for ten seconds.

I would suggest looking at small single-family homes in southern Fairfax county or non-incorporated Alexandria. You might be able to find something that has actual space for your pet and is within your budget.

Also, consider contacting a real estate agent. Any agent worth their salt has worked with tons of people relocating from out of town and would be happy to help you find a place to rent. While the commission a agent receives for a rental is negligible, such work often pays off when somebody is looking to buy a place a few years later.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:41 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
You might want to look in Vienna - the last stop on the orange line. There are many older, smaller ranch homes that have good-sized lots. You may even find one within walking distance to the Metro. We currently have tenants in our 4-bedroom one-level house for $2600. It has a large (1/3 acre lot) fenced-in backyard and a doggie door. I'm sure there are other smaller places in Vienna for similar rent. It's a very safe area. Look on Craigslist, MilitarybyOwner, HotPads, and Realtor.com to find places. We got most of our calls from the first three sites.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:15 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
I'm concerned that you want to leave your dog alone all day in the back yard--or even just with free access to the backyard. Have you considered that your dog may become a nuisance barker and make your neighbors angry?

Old 04-02-2013, 03:15 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,884 times
This townhouse is in a really nice little neighborhood very close to South Lakes Village Center in Reston. Should be less than an hour to Foggy Bottom using Fairfax Connector/metrorail. Also close to the new metrorail station that’s supposed to open later this year.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/19...51742291_zpid/

It says pets ok, but I don’t see anything about a doggy door. The person that invents a liter box for dogs will make a fortune.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
I'm concerned that you want to leave your dog alone all day in the back yard--or even just with free access to the backyard. Have you considered that your dog may become a nuisance barker and make your neighbors angry?
If that becomes a problem, then I will deal with it at that time. My dog is the sweetest though. The only time she ever barks is in the middle of a play session with other dogs.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:23 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,168 times
Try to rent from owners themselves, not managed corporations. The story of those who move into a managed place and have their rent raised 100-200 a year is all too common with large management corporations.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
This townhouse is in a really nice little neighborhood very close to South Lakes Village Center in Reston. Should be less than an hour to Foggy Bottom using Fairfax Connector/metrorail. Also close to the new metrorail station that’s supposed to open later this year.

1934 Lakeport Way, Reston, VA 20191 - Zillow

It says pets ok, but I don’t see anything about a doggy door. The person that invents a liter box for dogs will make a fortune.
Thank you so much for the suggestion! It's still a few months until I move (this fall). The area is just so big, that I don't even know where to start looking. So specific area recommendations are super helpful. I will definitely keep Reston in mind.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post

Or run away and get lost.... or be stolen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia