Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 PM

89 posts, read 131,008 times

Advertisements

I too have seen some run-down areas along Rts 7 and 50 near these two areas seemingly populated mainly by immigrants from various So. American countries. Just curious, but what do others think about the future of either area? I am considering buying a single family house there and with so-so schools I do have a few qualms even though I don't have kids. I'd be interested in what others have to say on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Uh, I don't think many of those immigrants are from South America. (You mean Central America. And North America, which Mexico is part of.)

We've thought long and hard about Sleepy Hollow. Some gorgeous prewar houses, huge trees, and huge lots. But for us too dependent on Route 50 to get into DC. I think it's more under threat from mcMansionization than anything else. Probably would also be true of LB, except the houses there are already 700K and up.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,322 times
A few miles south of there, Skyline and Bailey's Crossroads will pick up once the Columbia Pike Streetcar is complete. Land values will go up significantly.

I don't think 7 Corners will change much near 7 and 50. The last big redevelopment was over 10 years ago when the old department stores like Lord & Taylor and Woodies closed, and Seven Corners Mall was transformed into a strip mall with Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, and Home Depot.

In that area near 7 and 50, home values are generally higher in nearby Arlington and Falls Church City, than in Fairfax County. But there are some nice, expensive properties in Sleepy Hollow and Lake Barcroft, especially if you like mid century modern.

And like Carlingtonian said, there isn't a large South American immigrant community around here.

Last edited by irvine; 04-02-2013 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
The Sleepy Hollow and Lake Barcroft areas remain nice areas. There are census tracts in that area where the median incomes are higher than in any of the census tracts in Falls Church City or in the census tracts in Arlington immediately east of Bailey's Crossroads. Politically, these areas have long been viewed as fairly liberal, Lake Barcroft in particular (as far back as the 1960s, both former Attorney General Ramsey Clark and Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall lived there).

The housing is nice and really hasn't changed much for decades. It's priced at a discount relative to FCC and North Arlington because the local schools also pull from less affluent, heavily Hispanic neighborhoods nearby. On the other hand, there's a high concentration of mid-century homes and the lake is itself rather distinctive for such a close-in suburb. One could argue it's particularly well-suited for those who prefer suburban living, but aren't directly or immediately concerned with the public schools. Overall, the RE values in that area have been climbing in the past year or two, but are still below their 2006-08 peaks. When the houses go on the market, they can vary considerably in terms of needing updates.

In terms of local retail, all your basic amenities are there, and there are many good ethnic restaurants in both Annandale and Falls Church. Seven Corners, however, is a shadow of its former self, and I don't see it getting a major spruce-up any time soon. There's just too much retail competition in Arlington and Tysons now, not to mention on the internet.

Last edited by JD984; 04-02-2013 at 09:25 PM..

Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 PM

181 posts, read 439,321 times
Central America is part of North America, too. I like Sleepy Hollow/Buff Ridge....great lots/location. I've been in that Shopper's 50 times without a problem, and they've cut up my whole 69 per pound chickens at that Safeway before.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
I also know people here from Brazil, Bolivia and Ecuador. There are plenty of people in NoVA from South America, though there are likely more here from Central and North America.

Lake Barcroft and Sleepy Hollow are both beautiful areas.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
I also know people here from Brazil, Bolivia and Ecuador. There are plenty of people in NoVA from South America, though there are likely more here from Central and North America.

Lake Barcroft and Sleepy Hollow are both beautiful areas.
This report has some interesting data on the Hispanic population in our area (for example, about half are either Salvadoran or Mexican, and the median incomes for Hispanics in our area were substantially higher than for Hispanics in any other metropolitan area, at least as of a few years ago):

http://www.pewhispanic.org/files/201...a_Findings.pdf

My understanding has always been that the largest contingent of South Americans in NoVa is Bolivian, but this report does not confirm that.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 PM

181 posts, read 439,321 times
lots of Asians along there, too. Almost famous bar at Loeman's; Sign of the Whale, now New Season Vietnamese, and it is actually a huge improvement, and I was pleasantly surprised at finding a great place to watch the Skins.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:38 AM

89 posts, read 131,008 times
Default Re: Future of Sleepy Hollow/Lake Barcroft

Actually, you folks are right and I misspoke or miswrote. Lots of immigrants from Central & North America and quite a few Asians as well.

How is the general safety of Sleepy Hollow & Lake Barcroft. I ask as I am thinking of buying in there as I can afford it (vs North Arlington and the McLean/Vienna corridor, which right now seems to be moving very, very fast and at prices that are pretty steep). I don't have kids but as school quality can drive housing prices, well, I am questioning.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Uh, I don't think many of those immigrants are from South America. (You mean Central America. And North America, which Mexico is part of.)

We've thought long and hard about Sleepy Hollow. Some gorgeous prewar houses, huge trees, and huge lots. But for us too dependent on Route 50 to get into DC. I think it's more under threat from mcMansionization than anything else. Probably would also be true of LB, except the houses there are already 700K and up.
I don't think you can knock down a house in LB and build a "McMansion" without a fair amount of scrutiny:

Lake Barcroft Architectural Review Committee | Lake Barcroft

I would expect you could in some parts of the Sleepy Hollow area without HOAs. Certainly heading further west you will find some odd additions and McMansions in some of the areas near Annandale Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia