Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 AM

513 posts, read 961,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
It depends on the TH or condo community and where you are located what kind of HOA fee you would be looking at. In Reston, you generally have 2 organizations you pay fees to - your neighborhood HOA and then the Reston Association, which maintains the pools and trails and parks for the whole "town" (not really an incorporated town, Reston is more like a giant HOA community). Honestly? I didn't find them to be terribly high. All told, it worked out to about $150 a month and that covered quite a bit. Condos tend to be more expensive than THs, just because of all the shared maintenance.

Greenbriar has NO HOA - just a civic association that is voluntary. It is good in some ways, bad in others. I actually wish that we had an HOA run pool - we can't go to our "neighborhood pool" in the summer because you have to pay quite a bit for a membership AND they are incredibly hard to come by (basically you have to buy it from someone who already has one - numbers are limited). So, we either have to find friends or go to the county run pools and pay a fee each time we go. That said, the REC center pool closest to us is great, and we aren't able to hang out at the pool all summer, anyway.

Prices are inching up, so finding a SFH under $500K is getting harder by the day. There are still a few areas in Fairfax where it is possible in areas with good schools - as I said, my neighborhood is a possibility still and there are a few in Burke, Annandale and Fairfax City. They all have public transportation options to get downtown - some are easier than others (Fairfax Connector busses to metro, mostly). If VRE works for you, I think Burke is your best option to try to find a SFH in your price range.

Good luck!
TS, already said Burke was too expensive for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM

109 posts, read 201,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
TS, already said Burke was too expensive for him.

no...maybe I search it incorrectly. I did a quick search on..., only a handful of TH/SFH shows up but all of them are over $400k..that why I said it's more expensive lol sorry

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-05-2013 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: sorry, only generic MLS sites can be referenced; see Terms of Service

Old 04-05-2013, 01:04 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
honestly, within Fairfax - there isn't a lot under $400K these days. BUT, I did a search on Burke and found a couple SFH's and more TH's below $400K. My old neighborhood of 2 BR TH's in Reston is selling in the low-mid $300K's currently, just as a point of reference.

Inventory is ridiculously low right now, which isn't helping.

If you are willing to do the commute from PWC or Stafford and do either a commuter bus or the VRE, affordability increases. With a generous public transportation subsidy from your office, I encourage you to take advantage of that option.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:51 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
How about a townhome in the 22152 or 22153 zip codes?

Old 04-05-2013, 03:54 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
I would rent in which of Herndon, Reston, or Fairfax you like, until your wife finishes school and gets a job. Then locate based on that.

Where in DC is your job and where is your wife's school?

Old 04-05-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I would rent in which of Herndon, Reston, or Fairfax you like, until your wife finishes school and gets a job. Then locate based on that.

Where in DC is your job and where is your wife's school?
That's a good advice. That's what I am thinking too. I always careful about money most of time. So I have a few ideas from you guys and talking to a few folks where to rent...

I will be working 6th St NW near China town. My wife is going for early childhood education.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 PM

23 posts, read 58,074 times
of the communities you listed, I would choose centreville or chantilly if you can afford it...if not then, Woodbridge. I think Ashburn and Leesburg are going to be out of your leauge....the closer you get to Route 7, the more real estate prices jump...i guess because its a straight shoot to Tysons.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:31 AM

Just want to update everyone...I have moved to Oakton and i am very happy with it. 8 min bus ride to Metro or 13 min bike ride or 25 min power walk...it's awesome. Everyone is so nice. Distance to grocery or shopping is like within 10-15min away..perfect

Old 09-08-2013, 06:46 AM

194 posts, read 400,447 times
I work in DC and live in NOVA and compared to me, you're RICH. You'll find something. It's not cheap living here, but from the sound of it, you can afford it.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxengineerxx View Post
Just want to update everyone...I have moved to Oakton and i am very happy with it. 8 min bus ride to Metro or 13 min bike ride or 25 min power walk...it's awesome. Everyone is so nice. Distance to grocery or shopping is like within 10-15min away..perfect
Thanks for checking back in with us! Glad to know you're happy in Oakton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia