U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:17 AM

109 posts, read 162,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Thanks for checking back in with us! Glad to know you're happy in Oakton.
thanks
Yes, so far so good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkieDC View Post
I work in DC and live in NOVA and compared to me, you're RICH. You'll find something. It's not cheap living here, but from the sound of it, you can afford it.
Maybe one day, we can car pool to DC..you know I66

I am not rich at all LOL...By comparison, everything is relatively the same (slightly cheaper overall on everything except housing). I spent a couple hundreds more a month on housing but I am saving on toll, commuting (gas) wear and tear on car, insurance, some on taxes, school for kid and most of all less STRESS. So at the end it's all good, work out the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,643,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxengineerxx View Post
Do you know if I can live comfortably (ie, have some money leftover in saving, I am big into saving) We are not big spender. We have no car payment (maybe 1 in near future but it will be like under $300/month). My wife still in school for another year or so. She will be a teacher. I will be working in DC for an engineering firm.

With just one income ($90k+ - $100k), paid transportation to work (via Metro) and cheap healthcare (we will be paying like $130/month for family), do you think we can afford anything around Fairfax or Loudoun Co? We have a 7 years old girl. We are currently living in an area that we hated the public system to the point, that we wanted to put her in private school if we still around the area but we are thinking about moving since I got this new job. Hopefully when everything said and done, our combine income would a lot more depending if I passed my PE exam and she starting to work as a teacher. (2 years max from now)

We are thinking about renting the 1st year to get used to the area then maybe purchase a 2-3BR townhome or SFH (preferred). I am thinking about the commute till around 1 hour + is acceptable (included metro ride in)

What you guys think? Who can afford like $500k home! it's crazy!

Here is a couple area I was told to look at:

Centreville, Reston, Chantilly, Leesburg, Ashburn - FF/L C
Dale City and Woodbridge - Stafford/PWC

I was told some part of PWC is still ok. I would preferred to live in an area that each home has maybe 1-2 generations live in it, not 5 generations or multiple families etc

At the end of the day, I just want to live ok but not house broke either.
None of those areas are 1hr out even using metro. 1hr out furthest is Reston/Herndon and thats because there is a toll road and good rapid bus service. Centreville to Tysons or Arlington alone takes 45 minutes.

That is, unless you wake up at 5am and leave work at 3pm.

Sounds like you are after the fabled unicorn to me.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
None of those areas are 1hr out even using metro. 1hr out furthest is Reston/Herndon and thats because there is a toll road and good rapid bus service. Centreville to Tysons or Arlington alone takes 45 minutes.

That is, unless you wake up at 5am and leave work at 3pm.

Sounds like you are after the fabled unicorn to me.
hmm did you read the rest of the thread. I have already moved to Oakton. I live 2-3 miles out to Vienna Metro.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:22 AM

406 posts, read 506,224 times
That is quite near to where I used to live, we enjoyed the area and I think you'll find it convenient in many ways

Old 09-09-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgood View Post
That is quite near to where I used to live, we enjoyed the area and I think you'll find it convenient in many ways
Thanks...So far, we enjoyed it. It has been over a month. Commuting to and from work is less stressful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia