U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,044,629 times

Advertisements

Too many people around here do stupid and/or dangerous things while driving and need to be honked at. If someone does something that endangers people or they are about to hit my car, I'm going to honk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,615,351 times
One of my teachers in high school told me a story about how he got upset at someone for cutting him off and he started getting upset, but as he was sitting there, he realized they had a gun, so he restrained himself from saying something to them. You just never know who you are dealing with.

With that said, the driving in this area is awful. People will drive you nuts around here.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 AM

91 posts, read 194,652 times
Pretend the other person driving the car is your Mother

Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,427,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Too many people around here do stupid and/or dangerous things while driving and need to be honked at. If someone does something that endangers people or they are about to hit my car, I'm going to honk!
Well, I don't generally view a honk of the horn as road rage. I mean, the horn is there for a reason. If someone is about to hit you, yes, by all means, honk your horn. If you need to wake up the person in front of you because the light is green and they aren't moving, go ahead and honk. To me, it becomes road rage when your motivation behind the honk is anger. These are usually the sorts of situations where not only do I want to honk the horn, but I want to sit there with my hand on the horn for a good 5 or 10 seconds because I am so frustrated with how rude or stupid someone was with what they just did. These are the types of situations where, if I can, I try to just tell myself that getting angry just isn't worth it. The other driver, in all likelihood, could care less about how you feel - they already made the decision to be rude or they are just plain stupid. I mean, go down to the DMV - these are the people driving cars out there, and they aren't winning any awards for kindness or intelligence. Really, that's a good way to think about it in my opinion - picture the people at the DMV in the car with which you are frustrated? Do you think it will do any good to exercise road rage at such a person? My answer is a resounding no. I also like the idea of picturing your mom as the other driver - many times, people do things that are rude or stupid, but they really didn't mean to, and we have just misinterpreted what they did.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 PM

813 posts, read 1,105,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy1968 View Post
Pretend the other person driving the car is your Mother
If your name is Norman Bates, that might work out just fine.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:36 PM

2,670 posts, read 4,520,914 times
A friend told me Arlington Co. allows police officers to ticket you for unnecessary honking. Also, anywhere in VA, you could be considered an "aggressive driver" and have your license suspended if you respond to another driver you feel is out of line in certain ways:

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv39d.pdf

"Aggressive Driving
This dangerous driving behavior is defined by Virginia law
as the intent to harass, intimidate, injure or obstruct another
person while committing one or more traffic offenses such
as failing to stop or yield the right-of-way, avoiding a traffic
control device or failing to give way to an overtaking vehicle.

When aggressive drivers are behind the wheel, these
high-risk drivers take out their anger on other motorists.
Their frustration levels run high while their concerns for fellow
motorists runs low. They break the law by running stop signs
and red lights, speeding, tailgating, weaving in and out of
traffic, passing on the right (including on the shoulder and
unpaved portions of the road), making improper and unsafe
lane changes, as well as making hand and facial gestures,
screaming, honking and flashing their lights.

Protect yourself.

If you see an aggressive driver, stay out of
the way. Don’t challenge the aggressive driver by speeding up
or trying to out-maneuver him. Avoid eye contact and ignore
his gestures and shouting.

Remember, if you are convicted of aggressive driving, your
license could be suspended for ten days or for as long as six months."

Old 04-05-2013, 12:51 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,688,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
If your name is Norman Bates, that might work out just fine.
Can't rep you again..guess I need to spread the love..but thanks for the laugh.

And what about those of us with Mommy issues!

My mom is an excellent driver - but cross her in a car and she can flip you off with her manicured hand, be drinking her cup of coffee with the other and manage to still have a lit cigarette somewhere! And Honk the horn! And what came out of her mouth would make a sailor blush. Needless to say I never let my daughter in her car as a baby..

Old 04-05-2013, 02:09 PM

729 posts, read 1,299,309 times
What I found works is to listen to something entertaining and upbeat in the car. My roommate listens to stand-up, and I listen to various podcasts.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 PM

13,028 posts, read 19,859,929 times
I think it's really hard to avoid the rage around here. I really tried hard yesterday. I was even thinking about it when someone cut us off by aggressively merging in front of us. I didn't like that, but just decide to forget it. However, the car was moving real slow. I decided to change lanes and pass them. Suddenly they sped up to try and stay ahead of me. I was just going to ignore that, but then I realized my exit is getting close. I figure I will just get behind them, but someone else was right there, tailgating. There was no choice but to hit the gas and get in front. Thankfully, my van engine has a lot more power than the little economy car they had so it was easy. I'm really disappointed in my own behavior, but I was getting madder every minute I let him try and block me out. Better, I thought, to just get it over with. It worked, this time, but I have no doubt things could have escalated even more. Other drivers here just make it really hard sometimes.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 PM

504 posts, read 1,024,472 times
I had a guy in rage following me once. I knew the area well so I calmly turned into a nearby industrial complex. He kept following, perhaps thinking I would pull into one of the stores in front and he can corner/berate me. I keep driving slowly and casually, leading him into the back alley. Once he turned around the corner and saw a long lonely empty alley, he finally wised up, made a quick U-turn and disappeared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia