U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:21 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,728,210 times

Advertisements

I've bought a couple of things through Craigslist and have stayed local. I've looked at enough postings that I feel I can tell right off the bat some of the postings are scams. I always talk to the person first and bring my husband. I've gotten some really good deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,771,569 times
Again, thanks for all the suggestions guys. I haven't gone out and bought anything yet because I am waiting for the appropriate time to do so, pending on my finances.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 AM

390 posts, read 452,877 times
I 2nd using Craigslist for all furniture purchases. A couple ways to cut down on scammers on Craigslist:

1. Call the seller before you pick up the item.
2. Ask the seller to send more pictures of the items.
3. Keep in mind that most scammers are trying to buy items.
4. Meet during the day.

In preparing for our move to nova, we sold all of our furniture on Craigslist in 2 week for asking price.

Craigslist is the modern day clarified ad. We were able to sell a few of the items on the same day we posted the ad.

You'd be surprised at the deals on Craigslist.

I would also suggest paying an ad on Craigslist in the wanted section. Make a brief description of the item you would like to acquire and be sure to pay a price a price range. We picked up a jogging stroller and changing table with method at great prices.

Look at previous or old post for items that were over priced for the market. Send the poster/seller a message via text or email requesting more information and I'd the item is still available. If it is, offer a to purchase tge item at a discount. We were able to purchase a bike trailer for our boys with method.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 PM

1,204 posts, read 325,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I've bought a couple of things through Craigslist and have stayed local. I've looked at enough postings that I feel I can tell right off the bat some of the postings are scams. I always talk to the person first and bring my husband. I've gotten some really good deals.
Selling a vacume cleaner tomorrow in fact! full price, the guy is nice.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post
I 2nd using Craigslist for all furniture purchases. A couple ways to cut down on scammers on Craigslist:

1. Call the seller before you pick up the item.
2. Ask the seller to send more pictures of the items.
3. Keep in mind that most scammers are trying to buy items.
4. Meet during the day.

In preparing for our move to nova, we sold all of our furniture on Craigslist in 2 week for asking price.

Craigslist is the modern day clarified ad. We were able to sell a few of the items on the same day we posted the ad.

You'd be surprised at the deals on Craigslist.

I would also suggest paying an ad on Craigslist in the wanted section. Make a brief description of the item you would like to acquire and be sure to pay a price a price range. We picked up a jogging stroller and changing table with method at great prices.

Look at previous or old post for items that were over priced for the market. Send the poster/seller a message via text or email requesting more information and I'd the item is still available. If it is, offer a to purchase tge item at a discount. We were able to purchase a bike trailer for our boys with method.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
I will have to save this post. Thank you!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:36 PM

390 posts, read 452,877 times
Thumbs up Your Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I will have to save this post. Thank you!
I'm glad you found the post helpful.

I apologize for the grammatical errors and misspelled words. I was carelessly posting from my tablet at the time.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
You could check amazon.com if you're just looking for something inexpensive. The cheap stuff there is not necessarily crap, although it can be. The good thing is most items have lots of reviews posted so you can get a good idea of the quality. The bad thing is you'll have to assemble it yourself. I bought a media stand there recently made by Sauder which was only like $150 and very nice. It's not real wood but I knew I wasn't going to be. I did a quick search and they make desks too.
Not sure if you'll see this post again but is this what you bought?

Amazon.com - Sauder Shoal Creek Desk, Jamocha Wood

Old 04-26-2014, 03:56 PM

Not really relevant, but I'd love to have this in my room:

Backpack Couch With Compartments For All Your Stuff | Geekologie

+

Eastpak Sofa - Club Sofa 01

Old 08-20-2014, 04:58 AM

I took a hiatus of sorts in looking for a desk and a chest drawer. Now I'm back.

I decided to see if I could find anything decent on Groupon. I found one that could look promising. Is this good deal?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:27 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,332,197 times
Default My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I am looking to purchase a flat desk, a wardrobe and/or a chest of drawers for my bedroom. Excluding Ikea and Target, what affordable area furniture stores should I look into? I am not looking to spend a too much, just something that is affordable.

Hope that the info that I gave you helps. If you need to know more, feel free to ask. Thank you.
Best bang for your buck, Highpoint NC or estate sales.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/High-...s/102923267477
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia