U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,797,123 times

Advertisements

GBW is over 50% asian. I am pretty sure the demos for our school are skewed by the AAP program. My daughter has over 20 kids in her 1st grade class - she is one of 6 white/caucasian children. I know because I have her class picture in hand and just counted. There are more Asian children (8), a few Indian children and a couple Hispanic children. So, even without AAP kids (that starts in 3rd grade), the Asian children are a plurality, if not over 50%.

I don't know the demographics of other schools - I did look at Navy's profile and it is about 1/3 Asian, 1/3 white/caucasian. It appears to be similar at Greenbriar East. But I can 100% verify that our school is majority Asian.

FCPS - School Profiles - Greenbriar West ES - Demographics
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,844,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
GBW is over 50% asian. I am pretty sure the demos for our school are skewed by the AAP program. My daughter has over 20 kids in her 1st grade class - she is one of 6 white/caucasian children. I know because I have her class picture in hand and just counted. There are more Asian children (8), a few Indian children and a couple Hispanic children. So, even without AAP kids (that starts in 3rd grade), the Asian children are a plurality, if not over 50%.

I don't know the demographics of other schools - I did look at Navy's profile and it is about 1/3 Asian, 1/3 white/caucasian. It appears to be similar at Greenbriar East. But I can 100% verify that our school is majority Asian.

FCPS - School Profiles - Greenbriar West ES - Demographics
Thanks for that. I didn't even realize GBW was that heavily Asian. Over the past three years, GBW has had a dramatic increase in Asian pupils and a substantial decline in white students. This is interesting because I think the overall demographics (including adults) are not exactly the same as student body (children only) -- this is understandable in the case of Hispanics with high fertility (far more children than adults), but Asians have low fertility, so clearly this indicates demographic changes.

Navy is actually 29% Asian and 57% white, levels that have held steady for the past three years. Crossfield is 16% Asian and 69% white, also steady during the same duration.

Also, black and Hispanic student population stayed the same or declined slightly at Navy and at Crossfield, but increased substantially at GBW. It seems that the area zoned for GBW is undergoing some demographic changes whereas those for Navy and Crossfield are not, at least deduced from the numbers.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,602,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I did not take it "nefariously."

In which schools in that area are whites minorities? This is also not a "nefarious" question. I am just curious because I read that while Asians form a significant minority in that area, whites are still a majority or at least a plurality of the area population. (I homeschool my children and an overwhelming majority of homeschooled children in NoVA as a whole seems to be white.)
There are four elementary schools in Fairfax where Asians are a majority - Floris, Greenbriar West, McNair and Powell, and five others where they are a plurality but not a majority. Floris and McNair are in Herndon, Greenbriar West is in Fairfax, and Powell is in Centreville. Asians are not currently a plurality or majority at any FCPS middle school, but are likely to become a plurality at Rocky Run MS in Chantilly within the next year or two. Asians are also a majority at TJHSST in Alexandria.

The OP was asking about Navy and Willow Springs - whites are a majority at Navy and in the plurality at Willow Springs. My only knowledge with respect to either school was hearing in connection with a redistricting a few years ago that people at Navy were anxious to stay there, if possible.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Asians are also a majority at TJHSST in Alexandria.
That required no clarification.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Navy is actually 29% Asian and 57% white, levels that have held steady for the past three years. Crossfield is 16% Asian and 69% white, also steady during the same duration.

Also, black and Hispanic student population stayed the same or declined slightly at Navy and at Crossfield, but increased substantially at GBW. It seems that the area zoned for GBW is undergoing some demographic changes whereas those for Navy and Crossfield are not, at least deduced from the numbers.
Oops, I looked at it so briefly, that I just remembered the close to 30% mark at Navy. My mistake.

Do check our GBE's profile, as it is the exact same neighborhood as mine - FCPS - School Profiles - Greenbriar East ES - Demographics

I honestly have no idea, but I was about to suggest you look at Floris and Powell, but JEB beat me to it. Don't know what the answer is, but it is interesting from a numbers perspective.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 AM

The writing for this article is awful, but the data is interesting -very large cohort from Chantilly area goes to TJ (Carson and Rocky Run pull from those school areas already discussed).

Which Middle Schools Had the Most Students Accepted to TJHSST? - Chantilly, VA Patch

Old 04-18-2013, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,908 times
Eagle View Elementary has huge Asian population, mainly from Korea. Not an AAP base school, but has Level 3 services offered once a week. Lots and lots of townhouses. Mostly positive experience.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The OP was asking about Navy and Willow Springs - whites are a majority at Navy and in the plurality at Willow Springs. My only knowledge with respect to either school was hearing in connection with a redistricting a few years ago that people at Navy were anxious to stay there, if possible.
I know about half a dozen set of parents with kids at Navy and they all seem to like it quite a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langtreats View Post
Eagle View Elementary has huge Asian population, mainly from Korea. Not an AAP base school, but has Level 3 services offered once a week. Lots and lots of townhouses. Mostly positive experience.
Eagle View's ethnic breakdown is:

Asian 35%
Black 14%
Hispanic 14%
White 29%
Other 7%

Here, over the last couple of years, Asian and black numbers declined slightly, Hispanic increased substantially (10% to 14%, a jump of 40% increase) and white increased modestly.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 7,287 times
Thank you for all the good inputs. I would like to know more schools that are very good in the fairfax area. Just to make sure I am not missing any hidden gems.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:25 PM

588 posts, read 1,193,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
The writing for this article is awful, but the data is interesting -very large cohort from Chantilly area goes to TJ (Carson and Rocky Run pull from those school areas already discussed).

Which Middle Schools Had the Most Students Accepted to TJHSST? - Chantilly, VA Patch

The chart doesn't take into account students' base schools. Carson and Rocky Run do have a lot of students accepted to attend TJHSST, but not all of those students' base schools are RCMS or RRMS (and of course the same goes for Longfellow, Kilmer, and other AAP centers). A relatively small percentage of AAP students at RRMS are actually "supposed" to attend that school based on home location. I believe RCMS is similar.

By the time the OP's children are in middle school, AAP centers might be in all middle schools, anyway. Maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia