U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,288 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

We are new to the Northern VA area. We are looking to buy a house in Fairfax/Chantilly area (FFX County). Our main criteria is good schools. I am currently looking at navy elementary, Greenbriar west, Oak hill elementary, Willow Springs, Waples Mill elementary neighborhoods.

Does anyone have any first hand reviews about any of these schools? Particulary Navy and Willow Springs elementary. I did read greatschools reviews but wanted some fresh insight.

Appreciate any inputs/thoughts,

Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM

10,587 posts, read 12,055,734 times
I can't give you personal experience but a friend of mine put both of his kids through Willow Springs and really said nothing but fantastic things about the school. Great administration, good school community.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,797,750 times
I've met people with children at all the schools listed here (and obviously I have a child at Greenbriar West). Everyone in this area is quite happy with their schools.

The lady who runs the Bagel shop in Fair Lakes has kids at Willow Springs, and the woman who used to run the At Play Cafe in Reston has her children at Navy. Both have nothing but good things to say. Oh, and my daughter's little friend from her ballet class goes to Navy, and her mom is the school organizer for Girl Scouts - also quite happy with the school (almost forgot this one).

Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 AM

158 posts, read 329,934 times
We have beem at Waples Mill for two years and I can't say enough good things about the school. Some of our friends from preschool are at Navy and are very happy. I believe Navy will have its own AAP program next year if that is important to you.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:57 AM

1,403 posts, read 1,845,358 times
Would you mind telling us where you are from? That would allow us to provide a better tailored reply.

By generic American national standards, Fairfax County as a whole has fantastatic school quality. The area in question is above average in Fairfax, so that should tell you how competitive it is. However, if you are from certain educationally competitive parts of other high-priced real estate regions of the country, the rise in school quality may not be as noticeable to you (although many would agree that Fairfax County is one of the best and possibly the best educational jurisdiction of its size in the country).

Old 04-12-2013, 07:34 AM

3 posts, read 7,288 times
Thank you for all the replies.

We moved up here from Florida. We wanted to utilize the good schools around this area to our advantage.

We are looking for a townhome in these areas but couldnt find one that we like. Its either too old or way out of our price range.

I currently have GB West, Oak Hill and Navy as my top three. I read a review for Willow Springs that non-AAP students don't get much attention there. That kind of scares me a bit.

Generally, do AAP centers pay more attention to AAP students and not much on non-AAP students ? Would I be better off going with a good non-AAP school? I am an asian and do not have any idea about the american school system. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!!

Old 04-12-2013, 07:31 PM

GBW and Oak Hill are both AAP centers. I can only speak for GBW, but my overall feeling is that the kids all receive fairly equal treatment. It is a large school, but it feels like everyone knows everyone else. There is very much a community feel.

I have heard this complaint about a couple of the AAP Centers, but I haven't heard this so much at ours.

You MIGHT want to add Lees Corner to your list, if this concerns you. There are some townhomes in that district that might meet your needs, and it is NOT an AAP Center. If your child tests AAP, though, they can be bussed to GBW, which is basically right down the street.

This part of the County has a large Asian population. My daughter is a minority in her class as a white/caucasian child. But it honestly is NOT a problem - we have a few Asian girls, a few Hispanic girls and a few white girls in our Daisy troop and they all have a blast together. Maybe I have rose colored glasses, or maybe my kid is just one of those who is friendly with everyone, but I have not encountered any problems with racial divisions within our general area.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
This part of the County has a large Asian population. My daughter is a minority in her class as a white/caucasian child. But it honestly is NOT a problem - we have a few Asian girls, a few Hispanic girls and a few white girls in our Daisy troop and they all have a blast together. Maybe I have rose colored glasses, or maybe my kid is just one of those who is friendly with everyone, but I have not encountered any problems with racial divisions within our general area.
Why would there be a problem? Asians in America are more highly educated than the natives, are far less likely to commit crimes and are more likely than any other ethnic group to live in assimilated neighborhoods, to intermarry and to participate in community activities (see the latest Pew Study on the topic). And the ones in NoVA are an even more selective lot. In general, they make great neighbors! I know, I have some.

The only downside I can think of is probably increased academic competition among the children, but that is probably a benefit when viewed in another way (positive peer pressure).

Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 PM

I have HEARD about some cliquey - ness in other schools, but have not really seen it in ours. That was really all I was getting at-nothing nefarious.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I have HEARD about some cliquey - ness in other schools, but have not really seen it in ours. That was really all I was getting at-nothing nefarious.
I did not take it "nefariously."

In which schools in that area are whites minorities? This is also not a "nefarious" question. I am just curious because I read that while Asians form a significant minority in that area, whites are still a majority or at least a plurality of the area population. (I homeschool my children and an overwhelming majority of homeschooled children in NoVA as a whole seems to be white.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia