Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 03:20 PM

111 posts, read 315,036 times

Advertisements

I moved into a nice neighborhood in Burke and we so far love it. All single family homes including our own.

Our backyard shares a corner fence post with a neighbor's backyard that plays loud music during the day and sometimes into the night. They are playing it pretty loud right now (5pm on a Tuesday afternoon) that I can hear the bass through my kitchen and bedroom. They have also played same type of music after 11pm and the other night woke up to it at 3pm on the weekend (I could hear it through my bedroom wall). I am on 0.25 acre so we are SUPER close to them.

I want to know how to handle it without being a jerk and making them play it louder. It looks to be some mid 20 year old guys which is fine. I understand what they are doing and I use to do it also, but want to have some sanity. I am thinking the bass is getting to me more than anything.

Any suggestions as it will get more frequent as the weather gets better.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 03:59 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I have been dealing with this for just about 18 years. I have some partiers behind me. They have calmed down *somewhat* in their old age!!

I spent an entire summer listening to very loud Classic Rock while he built his extension. Every holiday is full of Classic Rock until 2AM, along with fireworks, drunken shouting and many "YEE HAWS" after midnight. I put up with it for a long time. I finally got fed up. Even though I go to bed fairly early, I call the cops, even on weekends after 11:30 PM. People sounds don't bother me. It's the loud music.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:04 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
Well, if it were me, the first tactic I would take would be to go over, introduce myself being as nice and chatty as possible, and then ask if they would mind moderating the music at all. If you are nice and genial about it, hopefully they will be too. I think people respond much better with face to face interactions and when asked nicely.

If that doesn't work, then I would use every legal tactic at my disposal to make their life painful. Call the HOA (if you have one) and get them involved. Call the police, especially for music you can hear between the hours of 11 pm and 7 am. File a compliant with the county code compliance office.

The only other thought I can offer is that the loud music may mitigate as the weather gets hot and humid. In my experience, people get really active when the weather first gets nice and then go back indoors to vegetate once the hot and humid weather sets in.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I would talk to the neighbor behind you and next to you. They might be able to give you some insight. Perhaps they've tried to talk to these residents or they have called the police. Or maybe they are renters who are moving out next month. I'd do that before approaching them. The more info. you have the better.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:38 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
I second michgc's advice. Can't hurt to get more information first. That way, if you know the people living there are total jerks, you can take other actions without them knowing which neighbor is complaining.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I second michgc's advice. Can't hurt to get more information first. That way, if you know the people living there are total jerks, you can take other actions without them knowing which neighbor is complaining.
I would certainly talk to them first and form my own opinion, rather than take other's neighbors' opinions for granted.

It is possible that they don't realize the music is annoying you. I'm surprised just talking to them hasn't already happened.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 AM

267 posts, read 511,680 times
For loud music at night I wouldn't even bother trying to talk to them first, just call the cops. And keep doing it over and over again until they get the message. If they're blasting music with heavy bass after 11pm how can they possibly think they are NOT bothering someone? Chances are they simply don't care.

Of course I've had MANY bad experiences over the years with lousy neighbors so maybe I'm a bit cynical on this topic.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:45 AM

42 posts, read 59,443 times
If you're afraid it will get worse if you complain to them, it will definitely get worse if you call the cops without talking to them. If that doesn't work, then you can go to the police but it would be hard to fix a relationship that starts with the police being involved. Do you really want an antagonistic relationship with your neighbors?

Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
I have called the police (as well as a few other of my neighbors) on one house that constantly played loud bass, all into the night. It got so bad that the last time the cops were called - not by me- they ticketed everyone in the house, lol. I watched the cops go to everyone and issue a ticket. Or maybe it was a citation or something. It was after ordinance hours, I think 11pm on a Sunday. The bass was so loud that it would rattle our windows and TV. I think i had a separate thread on it, not long ago.

When we called the police, we were kept anonymous, so the neighbors never knew exactly who called. Not sure if that helps, but sometimes it's better to get authority involved sooner than later. I remember going up to the house myself twice and asking them to turn it down. They'd turn it down for 10 minutes and then it would start again.

Hope this may help you.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:50 PM

154 posts, read 373,988 times
I find that the best arrangement is where you come to some understanding with the neighbor that you will not complain about the noise if it is limited to x hours per day (or week) and only within certain time periods. If one knows the noise will only last a fixed amount of time and you know when it will stop it makes it much more bearable. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia