U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 05:17 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,023,055 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to think the Metro is a 20th Century thing. I'm not sure it's going to be all that relevant to the vast majority of people. Even from Mount Vernon, it's a pretty easy drive to Tysons.

So who will be the prototypical Silver Line rider? Where will they board, why and how easy will it be for them to get there? Where will they disembark, why, and how easy will it be for them to get from there to their actual destination?

Last edited by CAVA1990; 04-13-2013 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 05:52 PM

939 posts, read 1,605,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I really think the Silver Line should have been subterranean, at least through Tysons Corner, given the county's plans to mold Tysons Corner into a dense urban village like Ballston or Court House. As was the case with NoVA when I lived there, though, it seems as if cheaper is always better in the eyes of the powers-that-be.
As nice as underground metro stations are, they are exponentially more expensive to build, it's not just a small percentage difference. I lived in Tysons when they were planning it, there was a whole organization who's tag line was "It's not over until it's under". People were really upset, but the cost savings is significant.

Arlington was easier to build it underground because Arlington was a dump, and all they had to do was buy used car lots and dig a trench and refill. Arlington and Crystal City would be unrecognizable if you knew what they were like before the metro. In order to do it underground and not destroy everything, you have to go very deep and bore, rather than cut and cover.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm starting to think the Metro is a 20th Century thing. I'm not sure it's going to be all that relevant to the vast majority of people. Even from Mount Vernon, it's a pretty easy drive to Tysons.

So who will be the prototypical Silver Line rider? Where will they board, why and how easy will it be for them to get there? Where will they disembark, why, and how easy will it be for them to get from there to their actual destination?
Due to the silver line being located in the middle of an interstate (the second phase), the prototypical rider will be a commuter who drives their car to a parking garage. This will eventually change in tysons, but not for a decade. People forget that Tysons only has a population of 19K, and most of them will be a good walk from any of the stations.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:05 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,023,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Due to the silver line being located in the middle of an interstate (the second phase), the prototypical rider will be a commuter who drives their car to a parking garage. This will eventually change in tysons, but not for a decade. People forget that Tysons only has a population of 19K, and most of them will be a good walk from any of the stations.
So the main market will be people boarding in Tyson's to get to Arlington or DC for work? I'm having trouble grasping the vision. Most of the population growth is happening way the heck West of there. Who goes to Tyson's for anything?

Old 04-13-2013, 07:55 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,618,430 times
Quote:
So the main market will be people boarding in Tyson's to get to Arlington or DC for work? I'm having trouble grasping the vision. Most of the population growth is happening way the heck West of there. Who goes to Tyson's for anything?
There will be people boarding Metro throughout the region to get to jobs in Tysons, people taking buses to the new Tysons stations (and perhaps driving to new private parking lots) to get to their jobs in Arlington and DC, and new multi-family housing built in Tysons. If you go to Tysons on the weekend, the mall is still packed with cars from throughout the region. And the enrollments at the public schools in the Tysons area are growing steadily.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
No, if anything you'll see a reverse commute to Tysons from people in Arlington and DC. When the second phase is complete, it will be a major commuter route from points west of Tysons.

Tysons (outside of the mall and retail places on route 7) is literally a ghost town on the weekend. I lived there for five years and hated every minute of it.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 AM

8,775 posts, read 10,677,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I really think the Silver Line should have been subterranean, at least through Tysons Corner, given the county's plans to mold Tysons Corner into a dense urban village like Ballston or Court House. As was the case with NoVA when I lived there, though, it seems as if cheaper is always better in the eyes of the powers-that-be.

The thing is, given the width, traffic volumes, design of Rte 7 and rte 123, they are barriers to walkability anyway. I don't think the els make it noticeably worse. I think Tysons will end up being 4 urban villages, divided from each other by rtes 7 and 123, and connected by some kind of circulator transit. I think VDOTs approach to the arterials rules out one big urban village.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:

You will get a bunch of reverse commuters (since there are already reverse commuters to Tysons, including some by bus and this should be easier) You will get some commuters from Tysons to DC - while I tend to assume that Tysons apts mostly draw people who work in Tysons, dual career couples and job changers means you must have a bunch of DC commuters who live there. You will get some folks driving to the Weihle garage to go into N Arlington or DC (and a few going by bus to that garage). You might even get some folks driving to Weihle Avenue to metro to Tysons just because the hate driving within Tysons.

As JEB mentions, FFX county seems amenable to private parking garages for metro riders in Tysons in the short run. In the longer run that will presumably make it hard to maintain road Levels of Service in Tysons, but right now they want to both up ridership and assuage the folks from nearby areas, I guess.

The second phase will presumably bring on some different groups of riders.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,862,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
I guess it's just me but I don't think the metro looks that bad at Tysons...
I agree with this statement. I think its effect on the neighborhood is worse than the actual aesthetics (which aren't so bad).

Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
The orange line from EFC to Vienna is in the middle of I66, and it gets walkers, cyclists, and bus transfer riders. While a nice underground station in the middle of density has its advantages, a middle of the interstate station does not mean all users will drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia