U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 08:25 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,778,611 times

Advertisements

If central Florida is where you want to be, you can always work for Disney until you find a job you like better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Thank you for all the nice direct messages - there are people who agree with me on this board and I appreciate it!
You see, you DO have friends in Nova. I always suspected as much, and I'm glad to hear it.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Well, this was my dream place to move so I worked hard to get a job offer here. Although it's not perfect, I still love it.
My feelings, exactly.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:39 AM

388 posts, read 679,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
If central Florida is where you want to be, you can always work for Disney until you find a job you like better.
My sister works for the mouse and I doubt $9/hr is going to cut it. In a perfect world though.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:53 AM

388 posts, read 679,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I hope you're not talking about Orlando. If I was trying to escape (sub)urban sprawl, that's probably one of the last places I'd want to go. It's like Route 28, except with billboards for Hooters and bail bonds rather than office parks.

But, yeah, I agree that those who think the quality of life was higher here 15-30 years ago aren't necessarily basing that on an assumption that there was more money and more jobs back then. If anything, it's likely the opposite - the preference for a time when there were just fewer people here (with far less congestion) and the income disparities were less pronounced.

I don't know if it was better or worse - it was definitely simpler. Easier to let your kids ride their bikes wherever they wanted, and harder to find foreign car dealers, 24-hour ATMs, and good pho.
Yes, I am talking around Orlando, and yes, there is plenty of urban sprawl to be found, it's just that they just planned it a heck of a lot better. Not bad for a state with no state tax. No place is perfect, and it's my least favorite thing about the area, but the pros outweigh the cons. There are areas down there like windermere, winter park, and areas around downtown that put NOVA to shame (at a fraction of the cost) and it doesn't take 2hrs to travel 20 miles.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:20 AM

5,078 posts, read 5,344,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Glad to see some positive vibe here.. I love it here too and appreciate all this area has to offer.. some things in Nova others envy us for.
I agree with you, Teebyrd.

I've lived here for two years now and I love it. I already had some established friendships and I've made some new friends. Some give more than they take and some take more than they give. Ultimately, it's up to me how much I want to put into those relationships. Casual chats and occasional get-togethers or a relationship that is more meaningful.

To my knowledge, no one has snubbed me because I lack a college degree (most people probably don't realize that I don't have one), my salary or title or my not-quite-runway-worthy fashion sense. Those who are elitists usually show their true colors pretty quickly. However, no matter where you go, there are people who judge based on superficial reasons but most people don't.

I'm in my early-30s and married. I imagine that puts a different spin on my experience than those in their early- to mid-20s and single. In a nutshell, the people of NOVA should not be painted with such a broad brush.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
Yes, I am talking around Orlando, and yes, there is plenty of urban sprawl to be found, it's just that they just planned it a heck of a lot better. Not bad for a state with no state tax. No place is perfect, and it's my least favorite thing about the area, but the pros outweigh the cons. There are areas down there like windermere, winter park, and areas around downtown that put NOVA to shame (at a fraction of the cost) and it doesn't take 2hrs to travel 20 miles.
Winter Park is beautiful, but nice houses there go for NoVa prices, while wage-earners still have to work in the relatively low-wage Central Florida economy. It's a nice area to retire, but I think NoVa offers more opportunities to a skilled worker seeking to acquire work experience and accumulate savings.

Of course, Orlando itself does have many comparatively low-wage jobs that may appeal to those who want a lower cost-of-living, love the sun, can tolerate the crime, and prefer less traffic congestion than we have. However, the larger Orlando region is, without question, far tackier than this area and downtown Orlando (a fairly small area with many run-down blocks and parking lots) cannot seriously be said to put downtown DC (which is the relevant comparison) to shame.

In any event, good luck if you do indeed "blow this joint" - the Orlando area may require you to tap into your idealism, but hopefully it will be a better fit.

Last edited by JD984; 02-04-2011 at 10:11 AM..

Old 02-06-2011, 08:43 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,917,991 times
My husband had an interview in Winter Park but did not get the job - it was beautiful - palatial homes on the water which would be triple the price here.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:20 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
My husband had an interview in Winter Park but did not get the job - it was beautiful - palatial homes on the water which would be triple the price here.
Sorry about the job, but sounds like you would have been in for some serious sticker shock had you moved there. "Palatial homes" on a lake there would not be triple that price here.

Last edited by JD984; 02-06-2011 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 PM

2,670 posts, read 4,519,008 times
JEB77, I think she meant that the houses in Winter Park are 1/3 the price that they would be if they were instead located in NoVA, i.e., that here, they would cost 3 times as much as they cost in Winter Park.

Fairfax Mom, hope he gets the next one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia