U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
JEB77, I think she meant that the houses in Winter Park are 1/3 the price that they would be if they were instead located in NoVA, i.e., that here, they would cost 3 times as much as they cost in Winter Park.

Fairfax Mom, hope he gets the next one.
I understood what she meant, even if my inartful paraphrasing of her comment led you to think I'd misinterpreted it. I've looked at real estate listings in Winter Park, one of the most upscale areas of Central Florida, and don't believe that her comment is accurate. If Fairfax Mom can provide specific examples of "palatial" Winter Park properties on the water that would generally cost 3 times as much in this area, I'll happily stand corrected. There are a lot of, say, non-palatial $500K homes in Winter Park that would probably be more expensive in areas like McLean, if not other parts of NoVa, but the nicer properties in Winter Park are quite expensive by any standards, including those of this region. Here's one property on a lake that's fairly typical, a $1.25M house in Winter Park that would likely be similarly priced in many NoVa communities (and certainly not priced for $3.75M):

2290 W Fawsett Rd Winter Park FL Home for Sale - Real Estate - MLS #O5022713 - Realtor.com®

People can have all sorts of reasons to want to leave this area, and the expensive local real estate is certainly one of them. I'm just not sure why people feel compelled to exaggerate to make a case that could stand on its own merits.

Last edited by JD984; 02-06-2011 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 PM

2,670 posts, read 4,519,008 times
JEB77, thanks for the info.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 AM

3,504 posts, read 7,917,991 times
JEB77 - well - maybe "palatial" was too strong a word - these homes were "palatial" to my eyes.
We had a real estate agent show us around about 3 years ago - several homes were around 500k - (what we paid for a 4bed, 3bath 1970 small home with no garage in Fairfax in the boom) - the homes were on the lake, had a walk in roman bath - huge, soaking tub, double sinks, etc. 5 bedooms, 4 bath, granite counters, stainless, top of the line appliances, huge bonus room - too much too mention.
And the job my husband was interviewing for paid the same as here (he is an engineer) - we would have been living in luxury - but - the Winter Park home probably went way down in value just like our home here in Fairfax has

And maybe not 1/3 of the cost - I was not being that accurate - I am just saying if we lived in Winter Park we would be living large!

Last edited by Nancy in Nokomis; 02-07-2011 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM

2,674 posts, read 6,237,402 times
Here are some counties that seem to be hiring according to CNN: Where the jobs are - Pinal County, AZ (1) - Money Magazine

Loudon is on the list. A lot of counties in Florida and Texas too.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 AM

388 posts, read 679,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
JEB77 - well - maybe "palatial" was too strong a word - these homes were "palatial" to my eyes.
We had a real estate agent show us around about 3 years ago - several homes were around 500k - (what we paid for a 4bed, 3bath 1970 small home with no garage in Fairfax in the boom) - the homes were on the lake, had a walk in roman bath - huge, soaking tub, double sinks, etc. 5 bedooms, 4 bath, granite counters, stainless, top of the line appliances, huge bonus room - too much too mention.
And the job my husband was interviewing for paid the same as here (he is an engineer) - we would have been living in luxury - but - the Winter Park home probably went way down in value just like our home here in Fairfax has

And maybe not 1/3 of the cost - I was not being that accurate - I am just saying if we lived in Winter Park we would be living large!
I concur with fairfaxmom. Please tell me of a place in NOVA with the same ameneties and feel as winter park that has over 250 SFH currently listed under 500k? We're still selling townhomes for well over 400k. Can you honestly compare a custom home on a lake to a mcmansion in this area?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 AM

I wonder what kind of jobs Money magazine is talking about?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
I concur with fairfaxmom. Please tell me of a place in NOVA with the same ameneties and feel as winter park that has over 250 SFH currently listed under 500k? We're still selling townhomes for well over 400k. Can you honestly compare a custom home on a lake to a mcmansion in this area?
I'd agree that, in the $500K range, your housing dollars would go further in Winter Park, though (1) not 3X as far; (2) those houses aren't what I'd consider "palatial"; and (3) in general, wages are lower in the Orlando area than in NoVa. For every worker who could find similar employment at comparable wages in the Orlando area, there will be considerably more who could not.

That's part of the reason why a place like Winter Park has so many retirees (and the local hospital is one of the largest employers, if not the largest). It's also part of the reason why more people aspire to move to such areas than can actually pull it off. Hell, I was in Sedona once and thought it was surely one of the most beautiful places on the planet. But I don't know enough about magic rocks to make a living there.
As to your last question, I think you're just using labels like "McMansion" because you're primed for a move. I could just as easily ask why you are comparing McMansions in Winter Park to custom homes in this area. A house with the amenities of my house in NoVa (and, yes, I'd consider it a custom home) would cost about the same amount in Winter Park.

But, seriously, if Winter Park is a better "value proposition" for you than remaining here, good luck with your efforts to relocate.

Last edited by JD984; 02-07-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 AM

JEB77 I guess you are richer than I and what I consider palatial is not the same for you.

Winter Park was a beautiful area - much prettier than here - but then that is just my opinion - I guess I love the swamp and you love NOVA.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
JEB77 I guess you are richer than I and what I consider palatial is not the same for you.

Winter Park was a beautiful area - much prettier than here - but then that is just my opinion - I guess I love the swamp and you love NOVA.
I'm just using the term to refer to the more expensive properties in the town of Winter Park. For the rest of us, if "our home is our castle," it might as well be our "palace," too.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 AM

But you have to admit Winter Park is one of the nicest area near Orlando. Orlando is not really the best part of Florida - I prefer the west coast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia