U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 01:25 PM

153 posts, read 236,932 times

Advertisements

Oops, sorry for going out of topic.

But the real examples how it is possible to live in this area and enjoy everything it provides I think is relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:43 PM

2,018 posts, read 2,712,973 times
As a clarification, I was not the poster who brought up the stay-at-home vs. working outside the home in NoVA issue.

Maybe it doesn't count as real work to some people, but it DOES count as highly important to my family. A prior post citing a successful working parent and her child can in no way diminish the quality of my children's lives. It only reflects an unpleasant, competitive, and insecure attitude. I have no problem with people who have two parents working outside of the home in a family. I do have a problem with people who make rude attacks on stay-at-home moms and present daycare as the only answer to raising successful children in NoVA.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 AM

92 posts, read 197,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvnova View Post
For the last 9 years or so this area requires two incomes to live comfortably.

Did you think about, you know, working?

Oh I have thought about and did, you know, work........I have a nursing degree...like I said before over 1/2 of my salary went to pay daycare, we have no family here and all friends work the 9-5pm so are you going to get my children off the bus and make dinner and help with homework until my husband gets home at maybe 7pm or 8pm?? Didn't think so. Getting back to the org."I'm blowing this joint".......We just moved to WV, 4,000sft house on 1/3ac. 4 bd. for 225K my husband's commute is actually better w/ A LOT LESS TRAFFIC!...........BTW I'm only in my 20's so I can't say from exp. but I think it's safe to say that the 50's was a much better time/living then present.

Last edited by chrisgsxt19; 04-27-2011 at 08:36 AM..

Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,756,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
I have no problem with people who have two parents working outside of the home in a family. I do have a problem with people who make rude attacks on stay-at-home moms and present daycare as the only answer to raising successful children in NoVA.
*applause!!*

Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 PM

298 posts, read 597,562 times
More applause here. pvnova is entitled to his (or her) views about the relative benefits of a mom raising kids versus a daycare center raising them. That's a subjective question. But whether a family needs two incomes to survive in NoVA? That's an objective question, and the answer is no, of course. I don't know if it is the same everywhere, but certainly where I live, the vast majority of moms with young kids stay at home.

chrisgsxt19 actually picked up and moved so she could stay at home and raise her kids. That's to be admired, not ridiculed!

Old 04-27-2011, 05:10 PM

7,968 posts, read 18,094,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgsxt19 View Post
Oh I have thought about and did, you know, work........I have a nursing degree...like I said before over 1/2 of my salary went to pay daycare, we have no family here and all friends work the 9-5pm so are you going to get my children off the bus and make dinner and help with homework until my husband gets home at maybe 7pm or 8pm?? Didn't think so. Getting back to the org."I'm blowing this joint".......We just moved to WV, 4,000sft house on 1/3ac. 4 bd. for 225K my husband's commute is actually better w/ A LOT LESS TRAFFIC!...........BTW I'm only in my 20's so I can't say from exp. but I think it's safe to say that the 50's was a much better time/living then present.
Congratulations on your new home! Everyone has to make the decision that's best for them. At least you still have easy access to NOVA/DC amenities if you should choose.

And forgive me for going off-topic...but whether the 50's were a better time than, say, 1965 onward, is a matter of perspective.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,003 times
Default I agree

I have been here (in DC) for a year now, and have come to the same conclusion as the original post. I hate it. If any one claims the weather here is "not that bad" and uses other east coast cities to compare, all I have to say is, you are wrong. The weather on the east coast /Midwest sucks. No other way to put it. And this is coming from some one who grew up in Seattle, lived to Colorado, Tokyo, Iraq, and D.C.; been to California, Mexico, Texas, Illinois, PA, British Columbia (list not exhaustive). if you think it is great here, please go stay in Colorado Spring for a few weeks to see what real weather is like.

Oh and I forgot to mention the bugs!!! Everything bites in D.C.

The Universities are ridiculously expensive, the traffic is awful, the pollution, the allergies, the prices (for what you get) the politics, the trains. I hate it. I am also planning to move to San Diego.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,509 times
I am a typical DC person. I didnt say Hi because I am too good to say a salutation like that. You have to simply accept my rudeness as part of every day life because I am better than you. I work in the nations most "important" city so that gives me the right to not say thank you or excuse me but I will certainly be aghast if you do not say thank you or excuse me to someone of my stature. Why, because like most people in DC I am special. I am below average in attractiveness but I think I am the most attractive person in the world. I will insult you behind your back and then try to be passive aggressive to your face. When you figure this out and confront me about it I will defend myself like and DCite would. By running in the other direction. I love to bump into people at bars to assert my dominance but will never look them in the eye and will move on to another special person if they ask me to stop. You see, I am a DCite. I love to look down on people unless they say something about it and in that case I will just talk about them behind there back. After all, I do not use my fist for anything besides drinking martinis.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 PM

729 posts, read 1,305,126 times
I felt the same way when I moved away in 2007, but I am moving back this summer. My biggest problem is that I was a very negative person, and I focused way too much on the negative. I focused too much on the awful traffic on I-66 and people's elitest attitudes that I lost sight of the fact that I have a very active social life, a job I enjoyed, always being able to find something to do, and despite my negative demeanor my dating life was pretty decent. Here I am, five years later, with a very positive demeanor, a career path that I love so much I'd do it for free, and my dating life is better than it was in years. I'm looking forward to it, despite the negative nellies that try to cut my happiness down.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,762,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpurcell84 View Post
I have been here (in DC) for a year now, and have come to the same conclusion as the original post. I hate it. If any one claims the weather here is "not that bad" and uses other east coast cities to compare, all I have to say is, you are wrong. The weather on the east coast /Midwest sucks. No other way to put it. And this is coming from some one who grew up in Seattle, lived to Colorado, Tokyo, Iraq, and D.C.; been to California, Mexico, Texas, Illinois, PA, British Columbia (list not exhaustive). if you think it is great here, please go stay in Colorado Spring for a few weeks to see what real weather is like.

Oh and I forgot to mention the bugs!!! Everything bites in D.C.

The Universities are ridiculously expensive, the traffic is awful, the pollution, the allergies, the prices (for what you get) the politics, the trains. I hate it. I am also planning to move to San Diego.
You don't like DC area's cost of living (assume you're in NOVA, since that's where you posted), and so you move to San Diego? LOL. SD is lovely but expensive. Hope you find what you desire. If you've been somewhere where "everything bites," you don't seem easy to please. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia