Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 PM

9 posts, read 51,052 times

Advertisements

People in the District and Arlington are very unfriendly, and drivers throughout Northern Virginia are very unfriendly. But when we take a walk at many of the beautiful parks and woods in here in Fairfax/Loudoun/Prince William/Fauquier, people are friendly. They talk and smile and are very pleasant. Local business owners here are very friendly, and personable.

This never happens in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, New York, or Boston - cities where I have spent considerable time. There is virtually no public interaction with folks who aren't friends/acquaintances/family. Los Angeles is especially cliquish, and usually among ethnic/cultural lines. Boston is harsh, New York is too.

I think the difference is that Northern Virginia is still a suburban, versus an urban environment, where the level of coldness and rudeness is noticeably higher.

I'm not praising Northern Virginia, as I recognize its many shortcomings. Just favorably comparing it urban life in terms of friendliness.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
I just have a really hard time believing metro DC area is any more rude than the others, as a lot of people ranting on here purport. Of course if you go out in the country to Mayberry it probably will be more chatty/friendly. That has more to do with the much slower pace of life, than the people's attitudes.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:26 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I just have a really hard time believing metro DC area is any more rude than the others, as a lot of people ranting on here purport. Of course if you go out in the country to Mayberry it probably will be more chatty/friendly. That has more to do with the much slower pace of life, than the people's attitudes.
I agree. I just think people have a misconception of the region and from what I've observed partially because a lot of the counties here are on the richest counties in America list so right away, before they even move or visit people already have assumptions about the area and what that means. In every major metropolitan area there's going to be "snobby" or rude people and this is a fast-paced environment, we’re all rushing to get to work, rushing to get to the doctors appointment, rushing to get to the gym, rushing to get on the highway to beat traffic – it’s not anything personal.

Last edited by NOVA_guy; 01-03-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 PM

388 posts, read 790,774 times
Kinda ironic this thread was resurrected the 2 weeks that I'm up in NOVA for the holidays. We've been in Orlando, specifically Dr. Phillips, for over 2.5 years now, and love it more than when we moved down. There's nothing, short of some sort of Zombie Apocalypse (scratch that, people here already feed off each other), that would bring me back here. In fact, I think things have gotten worse since we've left. The family we have left here (BIL, SIL have moved to the sunshine state) are tired of it as well, and heading south to greener pastures. Anyone that I've spoken to that continues to deal with the sea of cars on a daily basis, does so for the almighty dollar. I say more power to you. Different strokes for different folks. Those of you trying to get out, I wish you the best of luck. Do a ton of research and have a job lined up before you make the move. I love my family and friends here, but I CAN'T wait to go back home. Especially since my hair froze while getting in my car this morning.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:32 PM

14 posts, read 17,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabible View Post
People in the District and Arlington are very unfriendly, and drivers throughout Northern Virginia are very unfriendly. But when we take a walk at many of the beautiful parks and woods in here in Fairfax/Loudoun/Prince William/Fauquier, people are friendly. They talk and smile and are very pleasant. Local business owners here are very friendly, and personable.

This never happens in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, New York, or Boston - cities where I have spent considerable time. There is virtually no public interaction with folks who aren't friends/acquaintances/family. Los Angeles is especially cliquish, and usually among ethnic/cultural lines. Boston is harsh, New York is too.

I think the difference is that Northern Virginia is still a suburban, versus an urban environment, where the level of coldness and rudeness is noticeably higher.

I'm not praising Northern Virginia, as I recognize its many shortcomings. Just favorably comparing it urban life in terms of friendliness.
I, too, have lived in the LA area (lived in Long Beach and worked in LA), and it is no more cliquish among ethnic/cultural lines than NVA.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:43 PM

108 posts, read 110,851 times
I can definitely say the Hispanics seemed much friendlier in Los Angeles than they are here. A lot of them seem really down in this area. As far as people "never talking to you on the street in Los Angeles", I have to disagree with that based on my experience. People also do get to know one another in their apartments in Los Angeles. No one in Nova seems interested in anyone who lives around them. However, I have to admit, I have seldemly had a stranger say hi to me in Nova while walking on a street. I'm betting those folks were not originally from here.

As far as "anyone can find a dump for $1,000 a month", that is not how it is in Los Angeles. You can find really nice one bedroom apartments in Burbank, Sherman Oaks, West LA or Glendale for $1,000 a month. You'll be lucky to find a studio in Arlington for this price. DC is just so overpriced with no legit reason for being so.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:04 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
As far as "anyone can find a dump for $1,000 a month", that is not how it is in Los Angeles. You can find really nice one bedroom apartments in Burbank, Sherman Oaks, West LA or Glendale for $1,000 a month. You'll be lucky to find a studio in Arlington for this price. DC is just so overpriced with no legit reason for being so.
Apples to oranges to compare the places you mentioned to the B-R corridor of Arlington.

How much do you think apartments in Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach cost?

Old 01-03-2014, 11:15 PM

108 posts, read 110,851 times
I've found nice studios in Santa Monica for $800. Of course, these were studios (not 1 bedrooms). I honestly don't recommend living in Santa Monica. There's nicer parts of the city with less traffic, nicer people and less crime. Manhattan Beach is more expensive, I agree with that. Probably won't find a studio under 1,000 in that area. The difference in Nova is that I've found that moving further away doesn't really save you much money. I mean, Fairfax is often just as expensive as Arlington. Wrap your head around that.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:57 PM

469 posts, read 1,037,509 times
LA is mostly Mexicans, as opposed to the high number of central americans here. Big differences in education and wealth.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:16 AM

381 posts, read 814,339 times
The whining on this thread is astounding.

These people have REAL problems:

A Hidden America: Children of the Mountains 2/5 - YouTube

Cry me a freaking river that you have to deal with hot and cold weather, or have to sit in your car a bit longer in traffic.....wahhhhhhhhhh.

And we're supposed to believe you whiners are real, non-materialistic people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia