U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 AM
 
381 posts, read 708,227 times
Reputation: 216

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
I can definitely say the Hispanics seemed much friendlier in Los Angeles than they are here. A lot of them seem really down in this area. As far as people "never talking to you on the street in Los Angeles", I have to disagree with that based on my experience. People also do get to know one another in their apartments in Los Angeles. No one in Nova seems interested in anyone who lives around them. However, I have to admit, I have seldemly had a stranger say hi to me in Nova while walking on a street. I'm betting those folks were not originally from here.

As far as "anyone can find a dump for $1,000 a month", that is not how it is in Los Angeles. You can find really nice one bedroom apartments in Burbank, Sherman Oaks, West LA or Glendale for $1,000 a month. You'll be lucky to find a studio in Arlington for this price. DC is just so overpriced with no legit reason for being so.
Is it possible that the people around them aren't very interesting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2014, 07:39 AM
 
2,185 posts, read 2,661,081 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
I've found nice studios in Santa Monica for $800. Of course, these were studios (not 1 bedrooms). I honestly don't recommend living in Santa Monica. There's nicer parts of the city with less traffic, nicer people and less crime. Manhattan Beach is more expensive, I agree with that. Probably won't find a studio under 1,000 in that area. The difference in Nova is that I've found that moving further away doesn't really save you much money. I mean, Fairfax is often just as expensive as Arlington. Wrap your head around that.
Fairfax is definitely cheaper than Arlington, if you're comparing similar properties. If you're comparing say a brand new apartment in the Mosaic district in Merrifield, to a basement apartment in someone's house in Arlington, sure maybe you're spending the same amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 AM
 
1,998 posts, read 2,936,249 times
Reputation: 2150
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
I can definitely say the Hispanics seemed much friendlier in Los Angeles than they are here. A lot of them seem really down in this area. As far as people "never talking to you on the street in Los Angeles", I have to disagree with that based on my experience. People also do get to know one another in their apartments in Los Angeles. No one in Nova seems interested in anyone who lives around them. However, I have to admit, I have seldemly had a stranger say hi to me in Nova while walking on a street. I'm betting those folks were not originally from here.

As far as "anyone can find a dump for $1,000 a month", that is not how it is in Los Angeles. You can find really nice one bedroom apartments in Burbank, Sherman Oaks, West LA or Glendale for $1,000 a month. You'll be lucky to find a studio in Arlington for this price. DC is just so overpriced with no legit reason for being so.
Look up the median income in the DC area compared to LA and you will have your answer why DC is more expensive. Fairfax and Loudoun Counties are two of the richest counties in the country.

It's completely "legit" and not surprising that an area with such high median incomes would be expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2014, 10:03 AM
 
41 posts, read 61,075 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
Is it possible that the people around them aren't very interesting?
How would someone know if someone else is interesting if they don't get to know them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2014, 10:17 AM
 
Location: DC
2,044 posts, read 2,292,011 times
Reputation: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Look up the median income in the DC area compared to LA and you will have your answer why DC is more expensive. Fairfax and Loudoun Counties are two of the richest counties in the country.

It's completely "legit" and not surprising that an area with such high median incomes would be expensive.
Actually Arlington has the highest median income in the country, followed by the counties you mentioned and Montgomery (and other Maryland counties). In fact HALF of the most affluent counties in terms of median income are in the DMV area.

When you combine this with the fact DC as a metro region has the highest levels of educational attainment in the country, it is no wonder the area is so expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 PM
 
7,968 posts, read 18,094,647 times
Reputation: 2597
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
I can definitely say the Hispanics seemed much friendlier in Los Angeles than they are here. A lot of them seem really down in this area. As far as people "never talking to you on the street in Los Angeles", I have to disagree with that based on my experience. People also do get to know one another in their apartments in Los Angeles. No one in Nova seems interested in anyone who lives around them. However, I have to admit, I have seldemly had a stranger say hi to me in Nova while walking on a street. I'm betting those folks were not originally from here.
I have to admit that I have don't have much knowledge about Hispanics in the LA area besides that they are likely to be fluent in English, if not considering that their primary language. That's not necessarily the case here in NOVA.

I suppose that native Virginians, presuming the famous "Southern hospitality", might be more likely to be friendly to strangers than those not from around here. But considering the hurried pace around these parts in combination with the bluntness in urban areas that can be found as far up the I-95 corridor as Boston, native Northern Virginians may just learn to keep their heads down. That said, I would wager that one might encounter a higher % of newbie/stranger-greeting people outside of Fairfax/Arlington/Alexandria.

Quote:
As far as "anyone can find a dump for $1,000 a month", that is not how it is in Los Angeles. You can find really nice one bedroom apartments in Burbank, Sherman Oaks, West LA or Glendale for $1,000 a month. You'll be lucky to find a studio in Arlington for this price. DC is just so overpriced with no legit reason for being so.
While NOVA/DC may not offer the hip quotient let alone climate that Greater Los Angeles has, it does offer arguably the most stable, even booming job market in the country (unless digging for South Dakotan oil turns you on. ) If one doesn't work for or with the federal government or maybe in the tech sector out near Dulles, it may be harder to see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2014, 02:10 PM
 
5,071 posts, read 8,646,090 times
Reputation: 2722
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Actually Arlington has the highest median income in the country, followed by the counties you mentioned and Montgomery (and other Maryland counties). In fact HALF of the most affluent counties in terms of median income are in the DMV area.

When you combine this with the fact DC as a metro region has the highest levels of educational attainment in the country, it is no wonder the area is so expensive.
According to Census estimates, Loudoun, not Arlington, has the highest median household income among counties in the country. Both Loudoun and Fairfax have higher estimated median household incomes than Arlington. There are many high paying jobs in NoVa, and people will pay to be close to those jobs just as those who work in DC may be willing to pay more to live near their jobs.

Northern Virginia Dominates List of Highest-Income Counties, Census Bureau Reports - Income & Wealth - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, formerly DC and Phila
8,569 posts, read 12,685,046 times
Reputation: 8334
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
The whining on this thread is astounding.

These people have REAL problems:


A Hidden America: Children of the Mountains 2/5 - YouTube

Cry me a freaking river that you have to deal with hot and cold weather, or have to sit in your car a bit longer in traffic.....wahhhhhhhhhh.

And we're supposed to believe you whiners are real, non-materialistic people.
I just watched the whole 40-minute documentary. Really makes you count your blessings. Those poor children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2014, 07:58 PM
 
2,675 posts, read 4,540,907 times
Reputation: 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
According to Census estimates, Loudoun, not Arlington, has the highest median household income among counties in the country. Both Loudoun and Fairfax have higher estimated median household incomes than Arlington. There are many high paying jobs in NoVa, and people will pay to be close to those jobs just as those who work in DC may be willing to pay more to live near their jobs.

Northern Virginia Dominates List of Highest-Income Counties, Census Bureau Reports - Income & Wealth - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau
I think the other poster was referring to individual or per capita income rather than HH income. Further if you control for the age of the individuals earning the income Arl probably comes out a little higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2014, 10:56 AM
 
Location: D.C.
2,235 posts, read 1,862,223 times
Reputation: 3501
There is probably one of these types of threads for every city in the country. Sometimes, where you are isn't where you want. I know, I had to leave the beauty of my home state of North Carolina for Chicago for nearly 3 years to weather the economic storm, only to finally escape in 2011 to DC. I hated Chicago with a passion and couldn't get out of that dump fast enough. But, those are my own feelings, and many who lived there did not agree with me. Just like many here don't agree with this thread. Cities are what they are - economic engines. Would I like to be sitting in Docksides down on Wrightsville Beach right about now, eating some shrimp and kicking back a budweiser? Sure. Why aren't I? Because that setting can't provide me with the necessary tools I need to provide for those who depend on me.

....and as a Wilmington native, I can tell you that there are those who are sitting at Docksides, eating my shrimp and drinking my beer, and complaining that they wish they could move elsewhere because of this reason, that reason, the other reason. I can't tell you how many folks I met from places like Ohio, Wisconsin, and VA who moved there, only to return to where they came from maybe 2 years later because they couldn't find their definition of an ideal life there, regardless of the easy going and beautiful life style.

Different strokes for different folks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:11 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top