U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 PM

7,968 posts, read 18,091,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I really feel sorry for people who think "jobs, jobs, jobs" is a legitimate reason to justify paying dearly for mediocre housing. I live in a much better area in the city proper of Pittsburgh for a fraction of the price I was paying to live in Reston, a sprawling suburb over a half-hour outside the city of DC. From my front door I can walk to almost anything I want. No, jobs aren't as plentiful here as they were in NoVA, but they DO exist.

I'm finding as I mature and age that there are two subsets of people:

1.) I don't care where I live as long as I am gainfully employed. Work is what's most important to me.

2.) I don't care what I do for a living as long as I'm happy with where I live.

Most people I knew when I lived in NoVA were #1 adherents. They also disliked living in NoVA as much as I did, but for them the prospect of a "promising career" was enough to counterbalance that. I knew very few people who both loved NoVA AND loved their jobs. I just can't fathom obsessing over work so much that you don't mind coming home to a place that makes you miserable in your off-hours.
I don't know how the overall job market is in Pittsburgh, but it's still easier to find gainful employment in Northern Virginia than in most other larger metros. Happiness/contentment and misery are in the mind of the beholder, although I do realize this is a rant thread.

Other than that, at the risk of repeating myself:

Supply and demand.

Apples and oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 08:03 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,644,238 times
Quote:
I really feel sorry for people who think "jobs, jobs, jobs" is a legitimate reason to justify paying dearly for mediocre housing. I live in a much better area in the city proper of Pittsburgh for a fraction of the price I was paying to live in Reston, a sprawling suburb over a half-hour outside the city of DC. From my front door I can walk to almost anything I want. No, jobs aren't as plentiful here as they were in NoVA, but they DO exist.

1.) I don't care where I live as long as I am gainfully employed. Work is what's most important to me.

Most people I knew when I lived in NoVA were #1 adherents. They also disliked living in NoVA as much as I did, but for them the prospect of a "promising career" was enough to counterbalance that. I knew very few people who both loved NoVA AND loved their jobs. I just can't fathom obsessing over work so much that you don't mind coming home to a place that makes you miserable in your off-hours.
There are a lot of people who like both NoVa and their jobs, and many so noted on C-D. If memory serves me correctly, you dismissed us at the time as the "sunshine and puppies" crowd because we weren't as unhappy here as you were. I'm glad you've found a place where you're happier, and I also like Pittsburgh a lot, but a "rant" thread shouldn't become an excuse to put other people in artificial buckets for largely rhetorical purposes.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 PM

6,591 posts, read 10,902,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestick View Post
I agree. Its the worst place I've ever lived too. I wonder if there is even a worse place in America to live. I hate the DC Metro area with a passion.
Seriously? You don't get around much do you?

Old 01-10-2014, 09:53 PM

23,651 posts, read 33,457,399 times
For what it is worth I hate my current job but I chose to come back to NoVA because of what it offered me. It offered stability which I needed after my father died, when I was in KY. I have a stable entry level job, a nice social circle, and am studying at a solid grad school program. I'm not married to NoVA and will consider Austin or Houston if my income does not significantly change but NoVA is just fine for the next 2 or 3 years.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 PM

159 posts, read 374,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Seriously? You don't get around much do you?
Actually I get around a lot more than most people. I can go into details to explain my reasoning if you'd like?

Old 01-11-2014, 11:59 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,655,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestick View Post
Actually I get around a lot more than most people. I can go into details to explain my reasoning if you'd like?
You could just tell us the about your personal utopia. Or explain to me how backwater Arkansas or the middle of no where utah is so amazing.

This area is worthy of your hate only for one reason, people who move here like you and immediately complain it wasn't as good as the cruddy hole you came from. So sorry your locust job taking complaining self has such high standards to not wallow in such an awful place.

In the eternal words of Edward James Olmos from Stand and Deliver "Nice knowing you. Have a good day. Arrivederci!"

Old 01-11-2014, 08:00 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,874,280 times
The Pickrell family has been here 160+ years and my in-laws are also local.

Moving away entirely -- when this is my home and the economy here is so good -- is not something I will not consider lightly, and I resent being called some sort of slave to my job or workaholic simply because this area is my home.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:04 PM

159 posts, read 374,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
You could just tell us the about your personal utopia. Or explain to me how backwater Arkansas or the middle of no where utah is so amazing.

This area is worthy of your hate only for one reason, people who move here like you and immediately complain it wasn't as good as the cruddy hole you came from. So sorry your locust job taking complaining self has such high standards to not wallow in such an awful place.

In the eternal words of Edward James Olmos from Stand and Deliver "Nice knowing you. Have a good day. Arrivederci!"

Ok. I never said any place was perfect. I know no place is perfect but most places are better than DC Metro area.

Backwater Arkansas is better because its Backwater Arkansas. Meaning there is no traffic to deal with and a slower pace of life with more laid back people and less jerks. Middle of nowhere Utah is also better than DC because its the middle of nowhere Utah meaning there is no traffic to deal with and a slower pace of life with more laid back people and less jerks. It also closer to better mountains and there's less humidity.

I am not a person who moved here. I was born and raised here. I also don't move places and complain about how it's not like where I came from. I do the opposite. I move places and say I'm very happy with the lifestyle and that its great that its not like the place I came from. I don't have high standards. It should be pretty reasonable that I would like to be able to go places without getting stuck in traffic and getting tailgated on a daily basis. Also people in Nova have called me weird for having a passion for the outdoors and hiking. I've also been made fun of for wearing flannel shirts in Nova. I like living places where I can walk around and do my hobbies without getting made fun of. Nova is not the place for that. I have a passion and hobbies that are better suited other places. That's not asking for high standards. There's more to life than a job or sitting around a desk all day long. This is the rat race here. Its not for everyone. I have lived in the Great Plains, Midwest, Southwest, Northwest and of-course Nova. I know what I want and its not in Nova. Too many people stay in the same state or region where they are from and never live anywhere else. They don't realize how bad where there living actually is because they don't have anything to compare it too because they never leave! Its good to get out and live other places. Even if its just during College. You will have a much better perspective on things. The only reason I'm not mad about growing up in Nova is that I know wherever I end up in the country it won't be as bad as Nova.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:43 PM

114 posts, read 139,197 times
Quote:

I've been on this forum for the better part of a decade now (in various guises) and have followed your progression, at least when you used to post as the RestonRunner guy here in nova. You were hilarious in the way you excitedly posted pictures of your frumpy apartment in reston and were so happy to be anywhere but eastern Pennsylvania. Then you ran into the rat race and got smacked down. Unlike the 5-6 million other people that live in this area, you could not handle it and fled to a city that is one step away from being detroit to become a big fish. You had a great government job that would have flourished had you let it, but you gave it up to become a nothing in a nobody town.

Now you come here and denigrate the people that actually CAN make it here? You tell us how many bad decisions we've made because our condo is five times the value of your home in pittsburgh? I don't get it, for someone that hates this area so much, why are you so invested in telling the rest of us how silly we are for being more successful than you?

I personally love living here. I have a job that allows me to live anywhere in the greater 48, and I keep trying to figure out a better place to live other than Old Town Alexandria, and I'm having a hard time coming up with something. I keep thinking I can move somewhere in a better city that is cheaper and provides the same access to amenities (history, public transit, nightlife, culture, etc), and I find that my search is narrowed to very few places in the US. I've basically got: Chicago (cheaper, but the weather kills it for me), NYC (more expensive, my 500k Condo here would be 1.2 million there), LA (awesome weather, very sprawly, no public transit to speak of, the places close to the nicer areas are just as expensive as where I live), SF (same deal as NYC but with better weather), Boston (see Chicago) and that's about it. That's basically it in the US. You're not going to find a city or urban setting as organic and dynamic anywhere south of DC or in the sunbelt, and the only other options have EVEN WORSE weather or are EVEN MORE expensive.

Yes, the DC area isn't Pittsburgh,but there's a reason the burgh is so cheap... just like there's a reason many cities are cheap.. the job market sucks and people simply don't want to be there!

Now if we want to compare where I live to Europe, I'm sure I could find about a dozen cities in the EU that blow my current situation out of the water.. but that's out of my job range and further than I would prefer to be from my family...

The point is, life is about compromises. You have chosen to compromise on your career because you're happier in the Capital of Appalachia. I also like the Burgh, but you can't pretend to compare that it's on the same playing field as the DC Metro.

I have chosen to compromise because at this point in my life, I pay to live in an extremely walkable, extremely cultured, extremely accessible area in the most important area in the world. I have chosen to forgo living in a McMansion where a night out on the town involves a trip to the Moon Township Cheesecake Factory in favor of a small apartment where I have access to a multitude of jobs and a short commute to anywhere but Baltimore...

Last edited by Ed_Wood; 01-11-2014 at 11:56 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 06:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,923,494 times
LOL, just cracked up reading the comments about how much easier traffic would be in "backwater Arkansas." Try driving in Arkansas sometime. I visit Hot Springs Village a few times a year. It's out in the middle of nowhere, so you have to fly to Little Rock and then drive for more than an hour to get to my friend's place. I've put in a lot of time driving there over the years, and it's no picnic.

If you think traffic here is crazy, you should try driving on I-40. For one thing, it's packed with truckers who are hell bent to get to the next state before noon. If you aren't surrounded by semis who have a hard time seeing you, you have to deal with the locals who think it's a fun sport to run people off the road and throw bottles at your car. When you get off the interstate, traffic in the smaller towns can be interesting. Traffic jams are sometimes pretty bad--they may not have as many cars as we have but they don't have enough roads to handle the cars that they do have. There are strange twists in many of the roads that cause bottle necks, as well as steep hidden driveways in the hilly areas. And pot holes/crumbling infrastructure are a real problem out there, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia