U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,154,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestick View Post

Backwater Arkansas is better because its Backwater Arkansas. Meaning there is no traffic to deal with and a slower pace of life with more laid back people and less jerks. Middle of nowhere Utah is also better than DC because its the middle of nowhere Utah meaning there is no traffic to deal with and a slower pace of life with more laid back people and less jerks. It also closer to better mountains and there's less humidity.
I realize that this is just a rant/opinion thread so you are definitely entitled to your reasonings as to why this is the worst place and so many other places are better.

I just want to point out that, as the old saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I don't get is how people can make this blanket claim that ONE area is just so much better than the other without anything to back that up but their own personal needs. Sure, it's better for you and that is YOUR truth, but to preach that as the gospel is just wholly unobjective.

I would DIE in backwater Arkansas or Nowhere, Utah for all the reasons that you love. I have really dry skin and eyes and the humidity here is a godsend for me. I darn near cracked out west. However, I wouldn't dream of going on a message board or anywhere else, for that matter, and making statements that Arkansas is the worst place on earth and DC is so much better. I *get* that different areas work for different people and to those in Arkansas, they love their area and think it's the best. But all the things that some love about places like that would have me in the looney bin in no time. I did a one year stint in a very small, remote town and I've never recovered.

I guess I just don't get the vehemence of some folks who post here (not that you show that fiddlestick) when an area doesn't work out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 06:22 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,822,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I realize that this is just a rant/opinion thread so you are definitely entitled to your reasonings as to why this is the worst place and so many other places are better.

I just want to point out that, as the old saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I don't get is how people can make this blanket claim that ONE area is just so much better than the other without anything to back that up but their own personal needs. Sure, it's better for you and that is YOUR truth, but to preach that as the gospel is just wholly unobjective.

I would DIE in backwater Arkansas or Nowhere, Utah for all the reasons that you love. I have really dry skin and eyes and the humidity here is a godsend for me. I darn near cracked out west. However, I wouldn't dream of going on a message board or anywhere else, for that matter, and making statements that Arkansas is the worst place on earth and DC is so much better. I *get* that different areas work for different people and to those in Arkansas, they love their area and think it's the best. But all the things that some love about places like that would have me in the looney bin in no time. I did a one year stint in a very small, remote town and I've never recovered.

I guess I just don't get the vehemence of some folks who post here (not that you show that fiddlestick) when an area doesn't work out for them.
Well, if you're going to go and be all mature, maybe you ought to retire from C-D

Old 01-12-2014, 06:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,935,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

I guess I just don't get the vehemence of some folks who post here
I read quite a few of the forums, and see posts from many of the same people in other sections of city-data. Over the years I've noticed a pattern with some posters (not all, but some). When things are going bad in their lives, they apparently head over here in search of a punching bag. For example, one of the people posting here in the last month was also on his home forum a day earlier posting about having severe damage to his car after hitting a pothole, and how his life has had so much stress recently. Not that this is true of every angry poster, but it seems to be true more often than not. So when I see those vitriolic posts, my first reaction has become "gee I'm sorry things are so bad in (name of city) where you live." I see the same thing happening on Hawaii and California forums--I guess it's a compliment in its own strange way.

ps. I don't live in northern VA anymore, but the entire time I lived there I like it. We had a lot of fun there, and still come up to do things with friends. The one downside was not having a beach nearby, but since we chose to live in a city where we both could have good careers, last year we were able to retire to a town with beaches. Might not be the life path for everyone, but it was a good one for us.

Last edited by Caladium; 01-12-2014 at 06:52 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 12:01 PM

41 posts, read 61,094 times
Quote:
I agree. Its the worst place I've ever lived too. I wonder if there is even a worse place in America to live. I hate the DC Metro area with a passion.
Well, I definitely think there's worse places than DC. Dallas, Texas for example. Worst city I ever lived in. I moved to DC because of a job (yes, the economy is good here), and I wanted to be open-minded and give the east coast a chance, despite people's warnings that I would not like it. But it's just mind-blowing how abrasive DC is. If I had a dime for every time some impatient person bumped into me while I was walking, I'd be rich. I'm certain I will never move to NYC now, after experiencing a taste of DC. The "I got mine, screw everyone else" attitude just clashes with what I value in life.

As I said before, I'm leaving for Los Angeles in March (can't wait). But I do plan on visiting all of the museums that I can in DC before I leave. There's a lot of great things to do in DC/Nova, but too many flaws to ever be my "home". I think of this area as a great place to visit, but nasty place to live. There's flaws of LA too, but far more positives. As others have said, you just gotta find the right environment for you.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:15 PM

159 posts, read 374,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, just cracked up reading the comments about how much easier traffic would be in "backwater Arkansas." Try driving in Arkansas sometime. I visit Hot Springs Village a few times a year. It's out in the middle of nowhere, so you have to fly to Little Rock and then drive for more than an hour to get to my friend's place. I've put in a lot of time driving there over the years, and it's no picnic.

If you think traffic here is crazy, you should try driving on I-40. For one thing, it's packed with truckers who are hell bent to get to the next state before noon. If you aren't surrounded by semis who have a hard time seeing you, you have to deal with the locals who think it's a fun sport to run people off the road and throw bottles at your car. When you get off the interstate, traffic in the smaller towns can be interesting. Traffic jams are sometimes pretty bad--they may not have as many cars as we have but they don't have enough roads to handle the cars that they do have. There are strange twists in many of the roads that cause bottle necks, as well as steep hidden driveways in the hilly areas. And pot holes/crumbling infrastructure are a real problem out there, too.
Hot Springs is not backwater Arkansas, it's a tourist trap.

I have driven I-40 in Arkansas numerous times. It seemed pretty dead compared to dc.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:46 PM

324 posts, read 379,538 times
I grew up in NoVA and the way I see it, it has the negatives of big city living while lacking a lot of the positives.

NoVA has sky high rents, horrible traffic and unfriendly people. At the same time, there are very few authentic, urban neighborhoods. You can't really walk anywhere. Miles upon miles of bland cookie-cutter sub-divisions (I could never live in one of these). Getting downtown is a such a pain in the ass, even if you live in nearby Arlington, that it just doesn't even seem worth it.

It's urban sprawl run amok.

DC may be the political capital of the US, but it is definitely not a cultural capital. In that sense, NYC is the real capital and spiritual center of America.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:51 PM

7,969 posts, read 18,098,030 times
Quote:

I have driven I-40 in Arkansas numerous times. It seemed pretty dead compared to dc.
Having traveled through Arkansas via I-40 a few times myself, I would agree with Caladium regarding the number of intimidating truckers on the roads...not to mention the lack of highway maintenance. We may have constant road maintenance projects going on here in NOVA, but at least the end result is a smoother ride. The traffic between the western Memphis 'burbs and Little Rock may not often come to a standstill like in NOVA outside of an accident, but it can get pretty busy at least on that stretch.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:52 PM

7,969 posts, read 18,098,030 times
Quote:

The traffic between the western Memphis 'burbs and Little Rock may not often come to a standstill like in NOVA outside of an accident, but it can get pretty busy at least on that stretch of I-40.

Having traveled through Arkansas via I-40 a few times myself, I would agree with Caladium regarding the number of intimidating truckers on the roads...not to mention the lack of highway maintenance. We may have constant road maintenance projects going on here in NOVA, but at least the end result is a smoother ride.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:44 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,505,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
Well, I definitely think there's worse places than DC. Dallas, Texas for example. Worst city I ever lived in. I moved to DC because of a job (yes, the economy is good here), and I wanted to be open-minded and give the east coast a chance, despite people's warnings that I would not like it. But it's just mind-blowing how abrasive DC is. If I had a dime for every time some impatient person bumped into me while I was walking, I'd be rich. I'm certain I will never move to NYC now, after experiencing a taste of DC. The "I got mine, screw everyone else" attitude just clashes with what I value in life.

As I said before, I'm leaving for Los Angeles in March (can't wait). But I do plan on visiting all of the museums that I can in DC before I leave. There's a lot of great things to do in DC/Nova, but too many flaws to ever be my "home". I think of this area as a great place to visit, but nasty place to live. There's flaws of LA too, but far more positives. As others have said, you just gotta find the right environment for you.
This is my honest assessment of the DC Area as well, and that's mainly during the Spring and Fall, which have increasingly become shorter through the years. And I was born and raised in the DC Area. But to be fair, there's one thing I have to disagree with. The "I got mine, screw everyone else" attitude isn't nearly as prevalent in NYC, much less the outer boroughs. Not that NYC is anything to write home about when it comes to civility and friendliness, but it beats DC in that department, only if by default.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:14 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,480,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
This is my honest assessment of the DC Area as well, and that's mainly during the Spring and Fall, which have increasingly become shorter through the years. And I was born and raised in the DC Area. But to be fair, there's one thing I have to disagree with. The "I got mine, screw everyone else" attitude isn't nearly as prevalent in NYC, much less the outer boroughs. Not that NYC is anything to write home about when it comes to civility and friendliness, but it beats DC in that department, only if by default.
You can thank the progressive, snobby and hypocritical liberals that are in charge. It has already spread in places like Colorado and now Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia