U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 04:17 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestick View Post
Hot Springs is not backwater Arkansas, it's a tourist trap.

I have driven I-40 in Arkansas numerous times. It seemed pretty dead compared to dc.
Hot Springs Village and Hot Springs are two very different places. HSV is out in the country, about an hour's drive from HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 05:57 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,051,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
You can thank the progressive, snobby and hypocritical liberals that are in charge. It has already spread in places like Colorado and now Virginia.
That's a rather broad brush that you're painting over people with a particular political POV. There may be those who (also unjustly) would say the same thing about conservatives.

As it is. while NOVA as a whole may be among the "bluer" parts of the commonwealth, there is certainly a significant % of conservatives, some of whom are able to elect more conservative politicians.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:34 AM

381 posts, read 706,072 times
I just wish people would take a more reasonable approach....certainly going totally off the deep end to say that NoVA is the worst place in America doesn't qualify.

Instead of bashing the DC area, just understand that its just not for everybody...and leave quietly. Most of these people are kind of fish out of water.

Some of these people are just as "bad" as the awful people they claim to hate.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM

159 posts, read 373,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
I just wish people would take a more reasonable approach....certainly going totally off the deep end to say that NoVA is the worst place in America doesn't qualify.

Instead of bashing the DC area, just understand that its just not for everybody...and leave quietly. Most of these people are kind of fish out of water.

Some of these people are just as "bad" as the awful people they claim to hate.
I did. See below

Quote:

Ok. I never said any place was perfect. I know no place is perfect but most places are better than DC Metro area.

Backwater Arkansas is better because its Backwater Arkansas. Meaning there is no traffic to deal with and a slower pace of life with more laid back people and less jerks. Middle of nowhere Utah is also better than DC because its the middle of nowhere Utah meaning there is no traffic to deal with and a slower pace of life with more laid back people and less jerks. It also closer to better mountains and there's less humidity.

I am not a person who moved here. I was born and raised here. I also don't move places and complain about how it's not like where I came from. I do the opposite. I move places and say I'm very happy with the lifestyle and that its great that its not like the place I came from. I don't have high standards. It should be pretty reasonable that I would like to be able to go places without getting stuck in traffic and getting tailgated on a daily basis. Also people in Nova have called me weird for having a passion for the outdoors and hiking. I've also been made fun of for wearing flannel shirts in Nova. I like living places where I can walk around and do my hobbies without getting made fun of. Nova is not the place for that. I have a passion and hobbies that are better suited other places. That's not asking for high standards. There's more to life than a job or sitting around a desk all day long. This is the rat race here. Its not for everyone. I have lived in the Great Plains, Midwest, Southwest, Northwest and of-course Nova. I know what I want and its not in Nova. Too many people stay in the same state or region where they are from and never live anywhere else. They don't realize how bad where there living actually is because they don't have anything to compare it too because they never leave! Its good to get out and live other places. Even if its just during College. You will have a much better perspective on things. The only reason I'm not mad about growing up in Nova is that I know wherever I end up in the country it won't be as bad as Nova.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:03 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,643,939 times
Quote:
I did. See below
And most of us who hate abandoned wastelands noted that we certainly don't agree. I find it ironic that you say this area stinks people are terrible... and yet you are the one who wants to live as far from humanity as possible. Makes me wonder what the real problem here is.

The good news is, middle of nowhere Arkansas, Utah, everywhere else is cheap as heck. Move immediately I urge you! You could live in a 20 bedroom mansion for the price of a 2br condo if you moved. Enjoy doing whatever the heck people in the middle of nowhere do. I won't be up at night over it.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,647,993 times
One of the things that's really great about the DC metro area that I think I really take for granted are the restaurants. I came to this realization recently while visiting family in North Carolina, in the Triad area. My wife and I did a date night out w/o the kids and wanted to find a fairly nice restaurant. Our search returned mostly mediocre chains (Red Robin, Ruby Tuesdays, Applebees, etc). And they were PACKED. We almost ate at Red Robin but it was so loud and crowded we ended up just going to a wine bar across the street even though I really wanted a proper meal. At least it was quiet. It's interesting because there's times I think NC could be a good alternative to Nova, with their reasonable housing prices. But there definitely would be pros & cons to such a move.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,643,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
One of the things that's really great about the DC metro area that I think I really take for granted are the restaurants. I came to this realization recently while visiting family in North Carolina, in the Triad area. My wife and I did a date night out w/o the kids and wanted to find a fairly nice restaurant. Our search returned mostly mediocre chains (Red Robin, Ruby Tuesdays, Applebees, etc). And they were PACKED. We almost ate at Red Robin but it was so loud and crowded we ended up just going to a wine bar across the street even though I really wanted a proper meal. At least it was quiet. It's interesting because there's times I think NC could be a good alternative to Nova, with their reasonable housing prices. But there definitely would be pros & cons to such a move.
I hear Charlotte is a bit more metropolitan

Old 01-13-2014, 03:57 PM

324 posts, read 377,646 times
Quote:
Raleigh is kinda small, but its a nice city. great nightlife for 20 somethings (though that doesnt sound like your thing). i also like chapel hill a lot. plenty of non-chain restaurants in either of those towns.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:42 PM

473 posts, read 987,327 times
Quote:
I have a family member who takes sliced avocados or other such condiments with her to make that kind of restaurant fare more healthy.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:57 PM

9 posts, read 9,747 times
FC NOVA

I really had to chime in as someone who is from NC and lives hear. NC is full of mom and pop places to eat. For a generic list watch Diners and Drives(or whaterver that show is). I have been here 5 years and I have to say the food is what I miss about home the most. I like food that has love in it!! I care about what I am making and I would eat it so I am serving it to you this way! Sorry for the run on sentence. I have lived in MD and VA and frankly I have yet to be blown away by anything to eat. We eat out at least once a week and I alsways tell my mom who visits, you could do better than this. I ate at a Ruby Tuesday's yersterday and the cucumbers were not even fresh!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia