U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 11:22 AM

22 posts, read 28,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
If you're a person who ONLY likes traditional American food like BBQ or Americanized ethnic food like pizza and Tex-Mex, then yeah, NoVa restaurants will probably seem worse to you than what is found elsewhere in the country.

But if you like food from around the world like Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Salvadorean, Afghan, Indian, Thai and much more, then NoVa is a great place to eat and I would argue even in the top 10 metro areas in the country for food.
Completely agree. Northern Virginia has some of the richest most diverse restaurants from all cultures, and many for very reasonable prices. One of the best thing about living in this area! The best stuff usually lies within the beltway. And Yelp is a great way to find new places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 05:45 PM

69 posts, read 83,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summertime24 View Post
I have lived here for almost 2 years now and I absolutely hate dc. The weather here sucks. It is so hot and humid in the summer and seems to rain nonstop. Winters are terrible. It snows and is freezing. Fall and spring can be nice but the 70 degree days are few and far between. And regardless of the temperature, the sun does not shine here!!! And don't even get me started on the traffic here..

Also, I find that people are just rude and dull in DC. All they care about is work. It's all about working from 6:00am to 7:00pm, what you do, who you know, ect. Way to many workaholics. And people aren't very open to making new friends. There's no hospitality in this city, for sure. Sure, if you went to UVA or VA tech, you've got tons of friends here. But all of those people don't want to branch out and make new friends. And then you have the transients. People who move here for a job (because let's face it, why else do people move to dc) work for a couple years, and then leave in search of greener pastures. So they aren't trying to make new friends either.

So, after giving DC a fair shot for 2 years, I've decided that I'm blowing this joint and moving to Sunny San Diego!!! I'm getting a job transfer and am going to be loving life very soon. This will be my last cold and nasty winter ever!!!!!!
This is such an old post but I wish I had known this before I moved here!

Old 01-24-2014, 08:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,938,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenationwide View Post
Completely agree. Northern Virginia has some of the richest most diverse restaurants from all cultures, and many for very reasonable prices. One of the best thing about living in this area! The best stuff usually lies within the beltway. And Yelp is a great way to find new places.
Agree about the diversity--but next time you're wandering outside the beltway check out the ethnic restaurants tucked away in some of the outlying areas. Towns like Herndon have a lot more than you might think at first. You have to look for some of the best places--a lot of times they're hidden in the back of office parks, industrial complexes, and other places where some pretty amazing cooks found relatively low rents. Yelp is indeed a great tool, since advertising is often by word of mouth.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:19 PM

159 posts, read 374,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
And most of us who hate abandoned wastelands noted that we certainly don't agree. I find it ironic that you say this area stinks people are terrible... and yet you are the one who wants to live as far from humanity as possible. Makes me wonder what the real problem here is.

The good news is, middle of nowhere Arkansas, Utah, everywhere else is cheap as heck. Move immediately I urge you! You could live in a 20 bedroom mansion for the price of a 2br condo if you moved. Enjoy doing whatever the heck people in the middle of nowhere do. I won't be up at night over it.
I'm glad you brought that up. I'm very happy that most of us "people" hate abandoned wastelands. Otherwise they wouldn't remain abandoned. Oh by the way, what you said is exactly my point, the fact that I want to live in a rural area. Its not that I'm escaping people, I'm just going to someplace better.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 AM

41 posts, read 61,101 times
I'm in my last few weeks in DC, and I'm going to try to make the most of it. I think the one thing that bothers me most about this place, above all else, is that it's a very narcissistic and selfish city. An example of that is when a little snow is in the forecast, and all of the eggs, water, milk, bread and toilet paper are gone. Some selfish people decide to buy it in bulk, as if the world is going to end the next day, and this ends up hurting those of us who just need a little food. Of course I could go on and on, but I don't think anyone could argue against the fact that people are really selfish in Nova/DC.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:43 AM

5,740 posts, read 8,986,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
An example of that is when a little snow is in the forecast, and all of the eggs, water, milk, bread and toilet paper are gone. Some selfish people decide to buy it in bulk, as if the world is going to end the next day...
Hey--it's well known that French toast has a strong laxative effect!

Old 02-27-2014, 11:11 PM

332 posts, read 734,764 times
.. I do agree with the OP that there are wayyyyy too many workaholics and people who aren't hospitable and open to making new friends. Forever living in DC I found that the only friendly people I met were not from here but elsewhere. Why are people here so anti social except when they want something? like connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Hokie 2007 View Post
Good. Less traffic for me. I'll just take our top-ranked schools, our amazing job market, and our intelligent and cosmopolitan people.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-28-2014 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: competing site

Old 02-28-2014, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,584 times
DC has a lot of drawbacks - traffic, bland suburbs, Danny Snyder, humid summers, workaholics, and expensive housing among them, but it's also got plenty of upside: jobs, great museums, restaurants, culture, three nearby airports, reasonable proximity to beaches and (small) mountains, few sources of noxious industrial pollution, good schools, safety, little poverty, and interesting people from all over the world. It may not be utopia, but you could do a lot worse.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 AM

53 posts, read 69,095 times
I'm from San Diego, and while the cost of living there is slightly more, the overall quality of life is so much better. I've been here in NoVA for almost 2 years and it blows for me. My wife likes it, but she can handle feeling alone. I'm so used to boxing, UFC, or even Superbowl parties. Having a bbq at someones house just to get together, or families going to the beach or park together on a Saturday just to relax and enjoy the weather. I'd say we were busy too, but we needed that relax, social time. Here seems like every is too busy making money, keeping up with the Jones.

I truly miss the west coast, especially CA. The economy sucks and crime overall is higher, but I miss the people. Even Las Vegas, which is where I was living last we had that. Many people are from CA or HI where life is more laid back. I had coworkers here mention that. When they went to CA, how much more laid back people were. People love to hang out together, even at each other's homes.

I like VA Beach area more, because it has that laid back feel. My wife really wants to stay in VA, if so then Hampton Roads area it is. If you have the money, go to SoCal!!

Not to knock DMV. While I'm here I have mad the best of it. Going to all the free museums, and history places. Enjoying the 4 seasons. Crime is very low here, and schools are great.

I can't stand paying $350,000 for a descent TH, when I can go elsewhere and buy a SFH for $250,000 in descent areas as well... San Diego is a different story, but with family close anything is possible!!!

Last edited by krystsyde; 03-04-2014 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: added

Old 03-04-2014, 11:08 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,995,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystsyde View Post
I can't stand paying $350,000 for a descent TH, when I can go elsewhere and buy a SFH for $250,000 in descent areas as well... San Diego is a different story, but with family close anything is possible!!!
The sad part is, for the most part, 350K doesn't even get you a decent TH in many areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia