U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 12:35 PM

140 posts, read 188,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystsyde View Post
I'm from San Diego, and while the cost of living there is slightly more, the overall quality of life is so much better. I've been here in NoVA for almost 2 years and it blows for me. My wife likes it, but she can handle feeling alone. I'm so used to boxing, UFC, or even Superbowl parties. Having a bbq at someones house just to get together, or families going to the beach or park together on a Saturday just to relax and enjoy the weather.
I went to a Superbowl party almost every year when I livedin NOVA, and I don't even like the Superbowl. We hung out with other familiesat the lake or at the park. We went to barbecues at people's houses. If this is not happening for you, maybe you should consider being the host and inviting people to your house for these things.

Or maybe you are living in a quite upscale neighborhood? I found the lower and middle-middle class neighborhoods to be more community oriented, and of course we also had a church family, which was a big part of the hanging out at other people's houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 12:53 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,368,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyks View Post
I went to a Superbowl party almost every year when I livedin NOVA, and I don't even like the Superbowl. We hung out with other familiesat the lake or at the park. We went to barbecues at people's houses. If this is not happening for you, maybe you should consider being the host and inviting people to your house for these things.

Or maybe you are living in a quite upscale neighborhood? I found the lower and middle-middle class neighborhoods to be more community oriented, and of course we also had a church family, which was a big part of the hanging out at other people's houses.

I agree with the statement about being the host. In NoVa we were on a cul-de-sac (10 or 12 houses) and we hosted several Holiday and summer cookout parties over the years. Yet in those many years, only one other neighbor ever hosted anything. A different neighbor used to whine to me that the neighbors are so unfriendly, there's no sense of community, there's nothing to do etc.

I tried to help her find a couple activities she said was into but there was always an excuse -- it's too far, it's too expensive, the people weren't friendly. Never once did she try to host a get-together.

After a while, you just give up on people like that.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:34 AM

1,444 posts, read 2,125,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyks View Post
If you noticed these cars had a light out, why didn't you notify them?

When I lived in NOVA, people would notify me if I had the lights out by blinking their lights at me. Not everyone heeds a notification.
1) When did I specifically say that I didn't?

2) Well I didn't....I guess I fit in rather well then.

Apparently very few heed a notification based upon the crap that I see on the highway...truly unbelievable!

Old 05-24-2014, 10:59 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,094,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
But even more importantly, this thread allows people who are not enamored of the NoVA/DC area to express their opinions and experiences. The responses of those who dismiss negative posts or the posters themselves as having "bad luck in meeting/dealing with people or exaggerating things a bit" demonstrate the reason why some people are not happy living in NoVA/DC. A few posters here harbor an intense intolerance for any experiences or observations that are less than flattering of the area and claim that the person who doesn't care for DC must be the problem--not the fabulous, thriving, and tolerant DC metro.

Criticizing/dismissing rural communities and the people who live in them, however, seems to always be in fashion in NoVA/DC.
I live in a rural Virginia town and I'm perfectly fine with NoVa/ DC staying exactly where it's at.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:30 AM

531 posts, read 1,208,577 times
Any place has lovers and haters. Nothing to be surprised. People vote with their feet. If they don't like a place, they'll leave eventually.

So why get offended when someone complains about your city? If you like beer, you know there are people who can't stand beer. Some people live in Nova because they are compromising for their jobs. Others think NOVA is the best place on earth. Chill out and enjoy the nice weather we have now.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:36 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,125,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
Any place has lovers and haters. Nothing to be surprised. People vote with their feet. If they don't like a place, they'll leave eventually.

So why get offended when someone complains about your city? If you like beer, you know there are people who can't stand beer. Some people live in Nova because they are compromising for their jobs. Others think NOVA is the best place on earth. Chill out and enjoy the nice weather we have now.
Gotta rep you for this one!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:46 PM

41 posts, read 61,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You might find that "refreshing." But I'm the kind of person who wouldn't even live in America if it were not for a steady, high-paying job.
This is an interesting comment. I honestly wouldn't stay in America for money. If that was it, I would have left years ago. I live in Los Angeles and choose to stay in America because there is no better place on the planet to do what I want to do for a living. I love the weather out here, and it is a much more pleasant environment than DC, but there's several things in America that have made me think twice about considering other countries.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
you hate it or you love it.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:00 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,100,922 times
I suppose 10 years later on a necro thread is too late to say, "Bye, Felicia?"

Old 05-05-2016, 07:45 AM

886 posts, read 606,566 times
cyberius - you registered just to post that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia