U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 09:37 AM

472 posts, read 513,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Where are you moving?
Chicago, Illinois
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 09:46 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,819,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
Chicago, Illinois

To each their own I guess, I could never be able to handle the brutal winters of Chicago

Old 05-13-2016, 10:30 AM

472 posts, read 513,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
To each their own I guess, I could never be able to handle the brutal winters of Chicago
Never really bothered me. I would go out to say that this area had a far worse winter than Chicago did. Though, that is totally rare.
On the flip side of the coin, Nova/DC spring and summers are brutal on my allergies (which I never had prior to moving here) and hot, humid Summer's that keep me from wanting to go out. Like you said, to each their own.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:48 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,656,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
On the flip side of the coin, Nova/DC spring and summers are brutal on my allergies (which I never had prior to moving here) and hot, humid Summer's that keep me from wanting to go out. Like you said, to each their own.
I can't bang on you about the allergies. It can be asolutely brutal. Ever spring my significant other is just ruined for a couple of weeks because of her allergies. I'm fortunate/unfortunate to have only indoor allergies. But I feel for ya on that count.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:48 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,832,825 times
From someone who had to move to Chicago in 2009 to keep my career path intact during the recession, I couldn't get out of there fast enough by the end of 2011. But, what I realized about Chicago, is that if you have roots there, it cannot be matched anywhere else and those with roots who leave, always seem to go back. Your feelings about NoVa, are the same as I had about Chicago. It truly is "different strokes for different folks". Neither town is bad, but if it just doesn't fit, then it just doesn't fit. Personally, having lived in NC for most of my life prior to Chicago, and then to here - I love it here! My wife and I were just talking about this Friday night actually. We're glad we came here in 2011 and not back to NC. We'll go back eventually, but not anytime soon.

Traffic is traffic. Everyone has it. It sucks. You have to find your work-arounds and make them work. I lived in Glen Ellyn, worked in Oak Park. Took me no less than an hour each way (12 miles). Now, I live in Leesburg and work in Tysons Corner, and never really takes me more than 45 minutes regardless of traffic. I've done it in 35 minutes several times during off-peak times too, and it's 35 miles door to door. Granted, costs me a few grand a year (greenway), but time is money. It's all about finding your "work around" if you can.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:10 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,920,013 times
I wonder how the OP made out in San Diego - I hated D.C. myself and left - best thing I ever did in my life - I am so happy now! Goodbye dull and unfriendly people and horrible traffic - yeah - just checking in - glad I made it out!

Old 05-17-2016, 09:31 AM

2,980 posts, read 3,714,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
I wonder how the OP made out in San Diego - I hated D.C. myself and left - best thing I ever did in my life - I am so happy now! Goodbye dull and unfriendly people and horrible traffic - yeah - just checking in - glad I made it out!
I'm not the OP but I left the DC area for San Diego...going on almost 3 years now...One of the best decisions I've ever made

Old 05-17-2016, 02:24 PM

78 posts, read 107,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summertime24 View Post
I have lived here for almost 2 years now and I absolutely hate dc. The weather here sucks. It is so hot and humid in the summer and seems to rain nonstop. Winters are terrible. It snows and is freezing. Fall and spring can be nice but the 70 degree days are few and far between. And regardless of the temperature, the sun does not shine here!!!

I agree about the weather. I don't mind cold nasty winters if the summers are nice. Case in point - Milwaukee. The cold and long winters with tons of snow are more than compensated by cool summers. You don't have an acute need for AC. You can actually go out and do things without baked half to death.

OTOH, hot summers are tolerable if the winters are nice. Case in point, California. Mild, warm winter.

Virginia gets the worst of both worlds. Winters are too cold given how hot the summers are. Or, summers are too hot given how cold the winters are. Virginia winters are not really that much warmer than places like Chicago. 9F in the morning is not all that uncommon.

It hits both of these extremes IMO. I recall reading that the British embassy employees got some kind of bonus if they were stationed in DC, for extreme climate conditions. Too hot and humid in the "Humid subtropical zone". Baltimore is the same way, you are baked here all day and then all night. AC is a must. Humidity is so thick you can cut through it with a knife.

There are many places that have better climate than NoVA. Colorado, California, Wisconsin, Texas, Seattle.... and IMO.

Traffic OTOH, I don't know. It's bad but it's pretty bad in CA and in a million other places as well. I don't think NoVA takes the prize on this one. The design is pretty bad, I agree. There are not enough bridges for sure.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:44 PM

78 posts, read 107,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah8176 View Post
i've only been living in dc for about a year, but i honestly can't believe anyone wants to live here.

The rude, self-centered, pretentiousness of people around this city amazes me.

+1

Old 05-17-2016, 07:06 PM

18 posts, read 15,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
I'm not the OP but I left the DC area for San Diego...going on almost 3 years now...One of the best decisions I've ever made
Wish I would have done it in 2012 when I could have purchased a nice house on the outskirts of SD for the price of my Condo here in Alexandria. Prices have climbed so dramatically in SD since then that I'd be relegated to another condo if I were to move now...

That said.. the fate of the SD (and entire west coast's ) real estate market is tied to China at this point, so there might be a huge correction with their impending collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia