U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 09:21 PM

2,980 posts, read 3,732,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityResearcher View Post
Wish I would have done it in 2012 when I could have purchased a nice house on the outskirts of SD for the price of my Condo here in Alexandria. Prices have climbed so dramatically in SD since then that I'd be relegated to another condo if I were to move now...

That said.. the fate of the SD (and entire west coast's ) real estate market is tied to China at this point, so there might be a huge correction with their impending collapse.
SD is still a bargain compared to LA and SF. I bought 2 years ago in a great neighborhood and have seen a good amount of appreciation. If there is a market correction in the coming years I hope to be in a position to buy a second property as there will inevitably be a subsequent spike in real estate prices. Coastal SoCal real estate will always be desirable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 07:01 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,658,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictum9 View Post
Virginia gets the worst of both worlds. Winters are too cold given how hot the summers are. Or, summers are too hot given how cold the winters are. Virginia winters are not really that much warmer than places like Chicago. 9F in the morning is not all that uncommon.
I've always thought winters here were pretty mild. We get the occasional blizzard and arctic vortex but we get a lot of mild days during the winter. This past winter I remember 70 degree days in both December and February. I'll take that. The humidity can be bad in the summer but I'll still take hot & humid summers over nasty cold winters. Allergies can be bad here so I can see why allergy sufferers could dislike it.

One thing VA has going for it that a lot of other places don't is a spectacular fall. I've never seen a place as pretty as VA in the fall, especially when you head west towards the mountains. Maybe places up north like Vermont are like that but they deal with the nasty winters. I doubt SoCal will give you that. You're lucky to find a patch of grass out there. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:26 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,858,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I've always thought winters here were pretty mild. We get the occasional blizzard and arctic vortex but we get a lot of mild days during the winter. This past winter I remember 70 degree days in both December and February. I'll take that. The humidity can be bad in the summer but I'll still take hot & humid summers over nasty cold winters. Allergies can be bad here so I can see why allergy sufferers could dislike it.

One thing VA has going for it that a lot of other places don't is a spectacular fall. I've never seen a place as pretty as VA in the fall, especially when you head west towards the mountains. Maybe places up north like Vermont are like that but they deal with the nasty winters. I doubt SoCal will give you that. You're lucky to find a patch of grass out there. Different strokes for different folks.
I agree

I also enjoy the topography and convenience of certain outdoor activities. To be able to be on the beach in 4 hours, or skiing in 4 hours, is a pretty nice amenity. Plus, the convenience of hoping a train to NYC, or the beauty of PA. And have all of that with the economic powerhouse of Washington DC in your wallet, that's a pretty good mix. Sure, nothing is perfect. But for anyone who has lived in Kansas will tell you, it sure sounds pretty nice.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:32 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,858,033 times
I think people just have to find their rhythm with a place to find their peace and enjoyment, and each place has it's own unique rhythm. Personally, I've spent lots of time in S. California (Newport Beach, LA, SD) and while I agree has it's true beauty, the rhythm just didn't fit with me. Just felt uncomfortable with it. Chicago felt the same way to me. Probably one of the best skylines in the world, and has a pulse like no other, but just couldn't find my comfort zone with it. DC, I found my rhythm and love it. Feels manageable to me, like how the other places feel to those who would rather be there than here.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:40 PM

78 posts, read 108,384 times
Quote:

I agree. December is very mild. It's the January that can be brutally cold. Not exactly Wisconsin cold but like I said, a few years ago we had an unusually cold winter, a lot of houses had their pipes burst. It dropped to very low single digits for a few days. Winters here are not mild in general.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I agree. December is very mild. It's the January that can be brutally cold. Not exactly Wisconsin cold but like I said, a few years ago we had an unusually cold winter, a lot of houses had their pipes burst. It dropped to very low single digits for a few days. Winters here are not mild in general.
That's ONE month though. I'd say if you're only dealing with one month of nonstop winter cold it's a pretty mild winter. If you want zero cold days you do have to go further south.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
That's ONE month though. I'd say if you're only dealing with one month of nonstop winter cold it's a pretty mild winter. If you want zero cold days you do have to go further south.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:54 AM

78 posts, read 108,384 times
Quote:
Now you know perfectly well it's not *One* month. We've had blizzards in late January or February. Remember the March blizzard of 1993?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Now you know perfectly well it's not *One* month. We've had blizzards in late January or February. Remember the March blizzard of 1993?
One month of nonstop winter weather(January) is what I said. The rest is hit or miss. Like this past winter when we had 70 degree days in both December and February. That's a mild winter for me especially when comparing it to Chicago like you did.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:24 PM

106 posts, read 69,681 times
Day trips to Washington DC is pretty fun on nice weather days for sure. But Northern VA is a cesspool now. Immigrants go there non stop for one. Traffic is horrible. I-66 is a mess. Not much road development at all certainly it can't sustain the population growth. What was the point of expanding Metro rail if they charge an arm and a leg for a single ride now.

No theme parks no beaches anywhere as well. If your single or have no kids living there is probably a more fun experience but living in NOVA with children is no fun at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia