U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 10:13 PM

886 posts, read 606,991 times

Advertisements

Just landed a job in Buffalo, NY. Will be nice to be paying $900/month for a SFH instead of $1650/month for a 2 br apartment, with only a 6% decrease in pay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 01:27 AM

6,589 posts, read 10,900,305 times
But it's Buffalo?

We just hired a guy from the Buffalo area. His wife will join him soon here. He's not living in NOVA but out near Front Royal so the COL is lower for housing. I wonder if come February you'll still enjoy living in Buffalo.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:30 AM

6,589 posts, read 10,900,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Day trips to Washington DC is pretty fun on nice weather days for sure. But Northern VA is a cesspool now. Immigrants go there non stop for one. Traffic is horrible. I-66 is a mess. Not much road development at all certainly it can't sustain the population growth. What was the point of expanding Metro rail if they charge an arm and a leg for a single ride now.

No theme parks no beaches anywhere as well. If your single or have no kids living there is probably a more fun experience but living in NOVA with children is no fun at all.

"But Northern VA is a cesspool now. Immigrants go there non stop for one"

This is enough to know what you really are like. But that said, my kids grew up from birth and had a damn good life in NOVA. Both are in their upper 20's now. It's all what you make of it and we made good use of living in NOVA. I lived in NOVA from 73-2015 until the wife and I moved out to the Shenandoah Valley.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:14 AM

170 posts, read 146,221 times
No theme parks, hard LOL

Old 05-27-2016, 08:25 AM

7,966 posts, read 9,718,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffx rez View Post
No theme parks, hard LOL
Seriously. If you judge a location to live by preaence of theme parks, then I hope you leave this area.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:29 AM

886 posts, read 606,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
But it's Buffalo?

We just hired a guy from the Buffalo area. His wife will join him soon here. He's not living in NOVA but out near Front Royal so the COL is lower for housing. I wonder if come February you'll still enjoy living in Buffalo.

Oh believe me, shoveling your driveway and digging out your car gets OLD by early January! That area is where our family is, though, and with a baby at home now it will be nice to have the help. Plus, it's home...

Old 05-27-2016, 09:51 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,859,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
Oh believe me, shoveling your driveway and digging out your car gets OLD by early January! That area is where our family is, though, and with a baby at home now it will be nice to have the help. Plus, it's home...

And it doesn't matter if the Caribbean is your back yard, or 11 feet of snow - nothing beats "home". Especially when it comes with help for a new parent! When we had to move to Chicago in February 2009 from Chapel Hill, NC, we did so with our first child who was just 9 months old, and we lost our family network of support (in NC). It was tough. So, nobody can argue that you're not making the right decision here!

Old 05-27-2016, 12:26 PM

472 posts, read 515,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I think people just have to find their rhythm with a place to find their peace and enjoyment, and each place has it's own unique rhythm. Personally, I've spent lots of time in S. California (Newport Beach, LA, SD) and while I agree has it's true beauty, the rhythm just didn't fit with me. Just felt uncomfortable with it. Chicago felt the same way to me. Probably one of the best skylines in the world, and has a pulse like no other, but just couldn't find my comfort zone with it. DC, I found my rhythm and love it. Feels manageable to me, like how the other places feel to those who would rather be there than here.
I had the same experience, just the other way around. I never really got into my groove here in DC. I tried, and it just never worked.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:52 PM

948 posts, read 675,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Day trips to Washington DC is pretty fun on nice weather days for sure. But Northern VA is a cesspool now. Immigrants go there non stop for one. Traffic is horrible. I-66 is a mess. Not much road development at all certainly it can't sustain the population growth. What was the point of expanding Metro rail if they charge an arm and a leg for a single ride now.

No theme parks no beaches anywhere as well. If your single or have no kids living there is probably a more fun experience but living in NOVA with children is no fun at all.
I feel like you are describing a different city. Nova offers more to families than any large city I've lived in. Theme parks? Mkay then.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:53 PM

472 posts, read 515,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
But it's Buffalo?

Evidently, Buffalo is having a little boom of its own right now. Appearently, younger people find affordable cities appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia