Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 03:02 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
The "government shutdowns" only apply to "non-essential workers," so there are usually 5-10 that actually work on those days.

But when it happens, and I know this is a selfish thing to say (it's DC, sue me), it's like that episode of Seinfeld when Kramer restriped the roads for "luxury lanes". It makes commuting a breeze. Honestly, cruise control on the beltway. Right up there with walking on the moon.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:30 PM

490 posts, read 649,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
The "government shutdowns" only apply to "non-essential workers," so there are usually 5-10 that actually work on those days.
I'm talking about snow days. And even essential workers don't show up on those days.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:31 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,968,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Just looking back. I used to hate NoVA with a passion. I've been back for 4 years and it has grown on me. With a job offer I recently accepted, I'll probably be here at least 2-3 more years. This area just works for me right now plus I don't have an overwhelming desire to go anywhere else.
^^This really applies to most of the DMV area for sure.

4 types of folks that come here:

1- by default types because of IT/security credentials and jobs, but wouldn't be here if they didn't have to.
2- Some of the above hate it with a passion and can't wait to leave.
3- Others learn to accept and deal with the area.
4- then there are those that absolutely thrive in this culture of fed land, hyper educated, and intellect.

Sadly, those that hate it and love it never seem to get why the other either hates it or loves it. Reason being is that they are on totally opposite ends. DC tends to attract extreme types but more so of the thrivers. The blue collar or creative types that are here by default are also A-types but on the opposite scale. The latter tends to need more stimulation outside of work and community/familiarity structure.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:45 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,968,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Seriously. If you judge a location to live by presence of theme parks, then I hope you leave this area.
This proves my point. Look at the response and how harsh you are. I totally get where this person is coming from. I also get where people enjoy walkable spaces, quaint neighborhoods, and historic landmarks.

However, the two types can't get along. You are prime example of not understanding that some people need that type of stimulation in order to cope on a social level. Others will not understand that some people enjoy cobblestone historic neighborhoods.

If you come from a place like California, NY, the midwest, or even Florida, you are practically inundated with plentiful attractions at every corner. When you come to NOVA, you are a bit isolated. The types that want theme parks don't necessarily go there. But just knowing that it's there, they are affected by the activities surrounding these areas. It's like living in NJ but never entering into NYC. The energy of proximity is what keeps them going.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:34 PM

108 posts, read 110,693 times
Glad to see this thread still alive again.

I also left Nova almost 3 years ago (now live near Pasadena, California) and can say I'm so glad I got out. I didn't hate the DC winters, as I grew up in the midwest. I understand why DC is appealing to some, but with the exception of the awesome museums, I found it pretty dull. I mean, you get on the buses and all people talk about is politics, their stocks and trust funds, and other incredibly boring business stuff.

My ideal place to live is probably not Los Angeles too, but I'm here for a long time because of work. Pale-skinned white dudes like me do not like the LA sun, oh well, can't have everything, right? I'd still like to come back to DC to visit some friends, but have no interest in living there again.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:02 PM

150 posts, read 219,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
Glad to see this thread still alive again.

I also left Nova almost 3 years ago (now live near Pasadena, California) and can say I'm so glad I got out. I didn't hate the DC winters, as I grew up in the midwest. I understand why DC is appealing to some, but with the exception of the awesome museums, I found it pretty dull. I mean, you get on the buses and all people talk about is politics, their stocks and trust funds, and other incredibly boring business stuff.

My ideal place to live is probably not Los Angeles too, but I'm here for a long time because of work. Pale-skinned white dudes like me do not like the LA sun, oh well, can't have everything, right? I'd still like to come back to DC to visit some friends, but have no interest in living there again.
DC winters are relatively mild compared to the Midwest! It may sound odd, but to me L.A. is a lot faster paced and hurried than anything in the DC area. I know people out there and they say its a bit of a culture shock.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:28 PM

108 posts, read 110,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
DC winters are relatively mild compared to the Midwest! It may sound odd, but to me L.A. is a lot faster paced and hurried than anything in the DC area. I know people out there and they say its a bit of a culture shock.
There's some truth to this. If you live near the ocean (Santa Monica, Huntington Beach, etc.) or in the Hollywood area, it is fast-paced. Hollywood is a dump, but I stay out of the west LA areas unless I'm going to the beach. The real culture shock is the traffic. The number of cars here is insane, but I actually find most of the drivers are more friendly than in Nova.

I'm glad to live in Pasadena because it's a lot more mellow than the westside or downtown. The further you live away from the beach, the slower the the pace of life. There's several sleepy areas that surround Los Angeles.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:48 AM

461 posts, read 554,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summertime24 View Post
I have lived here for almost 2 years now and I absolutely hate dc. The weather here sucks. It is so hot and humid in the summer and seems to rain nonstop. Winters are terrible. It snows and is freezing. Fall and spring can be nice but the 70 degree days are few and far between. And regardless of the temperature, the sun does not shine here!!! And don't even get me started on the traffic here..

Also, I find that people are just rude and dull in DC. All they care about is work. It's all about working from 6:00am to 7:00pm, what you do, who you know, ect. Way to many workaholics. And people aren't very open to making new friends. There's no hospitality in this city, for sure. Sure, if you went to UVA or VA tech, you've got tons of friends here. But all of those people don't want to branch out and make new friends. And then you have the transients. People who move here for a job (because let's face it, why else do people move to dc) work for a couple years, and then leave in search of greener pastures. So they aren't trying to make new friends either.

So, after giving DC a fair shot for 2 years, I've decided that I'm blowing this joint and moving to Sunny San Diego!!! I'm getting a job transfer and am going to be loving life very soon. This will be my last cold and nasty winter ever!!!!!!
Funny how much it sounds like a more work focused Florida, but with the same social ills. The transients don't want to meet people (FL). Its who you know (FL). The people who do work are workaholics (FL). the rest are unambitious or have enough money pretending to be happy. But those people don't meet new people much either. Bring your own friends or your own gf because you wont meet one. (FL). All there seems to be is jobs, and you may be able to keep busy because of that, but really seems like your social life is crap in this area. Not a lot different from Miami or Tampa when it comes to making friends, just more jobs. All that DC seems to offer from what I research.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:51 AM

461 posts, read 554,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollx View Post
I'm in a situation where I've been in NoVA since '86. My then-spouse just had to live near Mommy and Daddy, who were insufferable twits. We finally found a neighborhood in the Falls Church area that we loved, with wonderful neighbors who were there for the long haul - a real community. Unfortunately, I got royally shafted in our divorce, and have not been able to afford to get my own house in that neighborhood.

In 2010, I was hired by the feds, and the job pays pretty well, but NoVA is more fun when you have two incomes. I'm appalled by the high rent I have to pay to live within reasonable commuting distance to my job in Bethesda. Also, as an amateur guitar player, I have found that this is a totally dead area of the country for playing rock music.

I'm not going any further south in the future (I came here from NYS), but would love to go somewhere with cooler weather where I can buy a house. Beaches are not important to me, but having an international airport nearby would be nice. Wish me luck in my own escape.

It sounds like you want Plattsburgh/Burlington VT area.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:21 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,659,842 times
I miss NoVA and would move back. It would be my #1 destination for my career. I don't mind the weather, and I greatly prefer Virginia to California. I used to love saying, "I'm an American by birth and a Virginian by choice" If I could go back in time and stop myself from getting back with the ex and returning to California, only to remember why she was an ex...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia