U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:40 AM

461 posts, read 360,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I miss NoVA and would move back. It would be my #1 destination for my career. I don't mind the weather, and I greatly prefer Virginia to California. I used to love saying, "I'm an American by birth and a Virginian by choice" If I could go back in time and stop myself from getting back with the ex and returning to California, only to remember why she was an ex...
See, I Don't think my mom would be upgrading that much moving to NoVA from Sacramento area. They seem like similar areas kind of, maybe NoVA being more pricey even than Sacramento and northeast into Reno. IMO NoVA seems like a better place if you went to school around there for HS and college, you maybe could get away with college but other than that, it seems like social ostracization if you didn't do either in the area. Leesburg also seems like an uptight town too that's pricey. I only know of these places because my mom has looked at them but I don't see them as that great. Sac area in the end would end up being better even and I didn't care too much for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 10:57 AM

7,958 posts, read 9,699,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
See, I Don't think my mom would be upgrading that much moving to NoVA from Sacramento area. They seem like similar areas kind of, maybe NoVA being more pricey even than Sacramento and northeast into Reno. IMO NoVA seems like a better place if you went to school around there for HS and college, you maybe could get away with college but other than that, it seems like social ostracization if you didn't do either in the area. Leesburg also seems like an uptight town too that's pricey. I only know of these places because my mom has looked at them but I don't see them as that great. Sac area in the end would end up being better even and I didn't care too much for that.
Wow, now we have people posting on this thread who know nothing about the area except that their mom looked at it?

SouthSota - I have only visited Sacramento a few times, so I can't really comment on the culture as compared to NoVA. (see how that works?) But I will say that it didn't appear to be similar. I also know, for a fact, that the Sacramento area was hit much harder during the housing market collapse. The economy here in DC weathered the storm much better than Sacramento.

Now, does that make one area better for your mom than the other? I certainly don't know, as I don't know what your mom is looking for.

As for social ostracism, I did not grow up here, go to high school here, or attend college here; yet I feel like I have a very large, diverse, interesting group of friends and acquaintances.

Last edited by spencgr; 01-19-2017 at 11:09 AM..

Old 01-19-2017, 11:10 AM

718 posts, read 728,210 times
NO comparison....

I lived in NOVA for over 4 years and visited Sac area several time and really cant see the comparisons. And I agree 100% that the NOVA/DC area never really suffered during the collapse, it only slowed down . Maybe home prices declined slightly but climbed right back u quickly and have always been stable. It is a good market with the likes of other markets like Minneapolis and DFW where you don't see a lot of up and downs, but things remain stable over long periods of time with the typical slight yearly increases.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:39 AM

1,989 posts, read 1,187,082 times
PWC was slaughtered during the crisis..more than 50% in some cases. But Suckramento? Not really comparable, better produce but crime and job market are problematic. Phoenix is a much better choice for many reasons.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
PWC was slaughtered during the crisis..more than 50% in some cases. But Suckramento? Not really comparable, better produce but crime and job market are problematic. Phoenix is a much better choice for many reasons.
Phoenix and Sacramento had some of the highest foreclosure rates in the US after the crisis. While PWC prices may have dropped (sometimes significantly), the foreclosure rates were much lower because jobs remained pretty steady in this area.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:22 AM

1,989 posts, read 1,187,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Phoenix and Sacramento had some of the highest foreclosure rates in the US after the crisis. While PWC prices may have dropped (sometimes significantly), the foreclosure rates were much lower because jobs remained pretty steady in this area.
I'll make sure and tell my parents' neighbors who paid 515,000 in 2006 then watched the home two doors down sell for 205,000 in 2008 that prices "may have dropped" in PWC.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:27 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,851,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I'll make sure and tell my parents' neighbors who paid 515,000 in 2006 then watched the home two doors down sell for 205,000 in 2008 that prices "may have dropped" in PWC.

make sure you ask them what it was worth in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and today, and then look at those other two markets for a comparison.

Stockon, CA, which is 30 minutes down I5 from Sacramento, was by all accounts the "poster child" for the subprime housing meltdown and great recession.

Arizona, Nevada, and Florida were also poster kids for the housing crash, as the areas were over built, being fueled by retirees before they actually retired, then couldn't retire.

Areas of PWC suffered because the outward boundary lines of housing development had not taken ahold strong enough (yet) by the time the crash happened. But I think your data will show that confidence in the PWC came back a lot quicker than most areas in the country, with Loudoun being the primary submarket prior to. Once land prices got to a point where Loudoun didn't work anymore for new entrants, which was around 2013, then PWC popped back up on the radar. Toll Brothers basically survived because of Loudoun County (Loudoun Valley Estates). An interview with their CEO on Charlie Rose is out there somewhere, whereby even he made that same statement.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:59 AM

106 posts, read 69,471 times
One problem with the Wash DC area is the lack of recreation and entertainment places I think. It is severely lacking in theme parks. The whole Disney America debacle was so dumb. They were blocked by the environmentalists and not in my backyard crowed but then they build new golf courses, housing, and a huge high school (Battlefield HS) on the land where it was supposed to be on. Hypocritical.

Wash DC is cool but it gets expensive after a while. We only have to much money to buy tickets to shows, sporting events, etc. Metro train pricing is INSANE!!!

Simply put the region infrastructure has not been able to keep up with the population growth. Immigrants come in large numbers too. Way too much Spanish and Arabic being spoken.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
One problem with the Wash DC area is the lack of recreation and entertainment places I think. It is severely lacking in theme parks. .
I don't think I am wrong in saying that you are in a very, very small minority group of people who would judge an area by their LACK of theme parks.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:23 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,130,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
make sure you ask them what it was worth in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and today, and then look at those other two markets for a comparison.

Stockon, CA, which is 30 minutes down I5 from Sacramento, was by all accounts the "poster child" for the subprime housing meltdown and great recession.

Arizona, Nevada, and Florida were also poster kids for the housing crash, as the areas were over built, being fueled by retirees before they actually retired, then couldn't retire.

Areas of PWC suffered because the outward boundary lines of housing development had not taken ahold strong enough (yet) by the time the crash happened. But I think your data will show that confidence in the PWC came back a lot quicker than most areas in the country, with Loudoun being the primary submarket prior to. Once land prices got to a point where Loudoun didn't work anymore for new entrants, which was around 2013, then PWC popped back up on the radar. Toll Brothers basically survived because of Loudoun County (Loudoun Valley Estates). An interview with their CEO on Charlie Rose is out there somewhere, whereby even he made that same statement.
I agree that PWC didn't do as poorly as some areas, but it's rebound has been very lackluster and I'm talking about recent rebound. While it never did as well as, say, Fairfax in the early 2000s, it seems the increase is even more disparate, but that's just my "feeling." I don't have data.

I purchased my home, new, in 1994. I paid $220,000. This summer, the same homes sold for just at $400,000. We had an all-time high in 2006 at about $525,000.

In looking at my long-term appreciation, it just doesn't seem like much in over 20 years. The area has grown, has become more popular, houses sell quickly, but values don't seem to match what's up the road by 10 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia