U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 AM

595 posts, read 2,094,845 times

Advertisements

I think, according to the above poster, a 16 yo would have to squirt one out; before she would be suitable for childcare.

I doubt Stanford University will tell Condoleeza Rice, that she can't have her old job back, because she is unfit to take care of children.

Last edited by barryhussein; 01-15-2009 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 12:48 PM

27 posts, read 34,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbills View Post
my nephew is moving here from nyc where there is a terrible gang problem. I hope to give him a better life. The school for address is lee high school. Does anyone know if there is a gang problem. Where i live across from the mall is very quiet and nice. I dont really know other areas.
jbiils, i went to lee high school for four years. It's a good school with good teachers and it used to have a gang problem until around 2005. Now there's just a few wannabes.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:38 PM

43 posts, read 143,872 times
I don't want to go off topic, but I think this is related:

How would you rate the Law enforcement in your counties and school districts in taking care of any gang problems?

Are the police being a good deterrent? Where there are problems, have you seen them getting better or worse over the past few years?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM

239 posts, read 573,928 times
I used to live near Nogales, Arizona. There were some parents complaining that the kids didn't even know about gangs until the local PD started a DARE program.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:24 AM

10 posts, read 25,784 times
it appears to me that many of the parents involved in having concerns about gangs, drugs and the like dont seem to do much research into it they just beileve what the media tells them as well as any "experience" they may have had. i bet that most of you still beileve that weed is bad for you.

It has been proven that weed in no way shape or form can cause brain damage, even more a man by the name of Dr. Xia Zhang of the university of saskatchewan reported in the journal of clinical investigation that "new research has show that marijuana could possibly stimulate brain cell growth."

studies have also shown that weed helps people with cancer,emphezyma,aids,asthma,pain etc.
the study stating that marijuana usage does not cause cancer was done by another docter by the name of Dr. Donald Tashkin, MD, UCLA.

Now i assume there are a few people who use this site that smoke tobacoo.
When compared to:
AIDS
HEROINE
CRACK
COCAIN
ALCOHOL
CAR ACCIDENTS
FIRE AND MURDER
The number one killer, that takes more lives then all the above deaths combined is...Tobacoo. It is reported that it kills 450,000 people a year.
the number two killer at 85,000 is alcohol
the number three killer at 1 to 10,000 a year is......caffiene
Now in over 10,000 years of know documented usage not one single death has been reported, not ONE. it would take 20,000 joints in 20 minutes for enough toxins to even be made to do harm.

iam not saying that teens and young children should take part in marijuana usgae but that parents be aware that it in fact is more of a medicine then anything, and that the "high" that a person gets is just part of the affects of the drug.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:05 AM

27 posts, read 34,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bear View Post
it appears to me that many of the parents involved in having concerns about gangs, drugs and the like dont seem to do much research into it they just beileve what the media tells them as well as any "experience" they may have had. i bet that most of you still beileve that weed is bad for you.

It has been proven that weed in no way shape or form can cause brain damage, even more a man by the name of Dr. Xia Zhang of the university of saskatchewan reported in the journal of clinical investigation that "new research has show that marijuana could possibly stimulate brain cell growth."

studies have also shown that weed helps people with cancer,emphezyma,aids,asthma,pain etc.
the study stating that marijuana usage does not cause cancer was done by another docter by the name of Dr. Donald Tashkin, MD, UCLA.

Now i assume there are a few people who use this site that smoke tobacoo.
When compared to:
AIDS
HEROINE
CRACK
COCAIN
ALCOHOL
CAR ACCIDENTS
FIRE AND MURDER
The number one killer, that takes more lives then all the above deaths combined is...Tobacoo. It is reported that it kills 450,000 people a year.
the number two killer at 85,000 is alcohol
the number three killer at 1 to 10,000 a year is......caffiene
Now in over 10,000 years of know documented usage not one single death has been reported, not ONE. it would take 20,000 joints in 20 minutes for enough toxins to even be made to do harm.

iam not saying that teens and young children should take part in marijuana usgae but that parents be aware that it in fact is more of a medicine then anything, and that the "high" that a person gets is just part of the affects of the drug.
You completely nailed it my friend.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:58 PM

380 posts, read 950,402 times
Fairfax Mom,
Robinson is a safe school and your son should not have any problems with Gangs unless he goes looking for trouble, and for real, the gang situation is hardly an issue at Robinson,the zero tolerance of gang activity in school has helped to remove these negative influences from schools. Robinson's current principal is a hardliner against troublemakers in the school. Gangs are not tolerated. This is much the same the county over, though some schools are rougher edge. Your son's biggest challenge will be to steer clear of the spoiled rich kids who use drugs and drinking as a recreational activity, and push others to join them via peer pressure.
Last, and I repeat-Robinson is a good school and it is safe. Do not worry, if your son is a good kid, he will stay a good kid.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:01 PM

380 posts, read 950,402 times
When someone asks a question like Fairfax Mom-give them an answer, why do so many folks take the honest question of someone and spin it into some sort of political round table?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:37 AM

It has been my experience that whether or not parents are around helping,educating and supporting there children, after a point they are going to start thinking for themselves and will make the decisions to not rely of there parents views on drugs,violence and sex. The reason kids do all these things is because they want to, just like parents in both there younger and current years do things because they want to. Trying to instill fear of the outside world by telling stories of drugs gone bad, or sex leading to unplanned pregnancy is not going to help them at all or even keep them from doing those things. What needs to be done by parents is education. We send children to school to learn about how our world works and what goes on in it, but i have never seen real education. Telling children that drugs are bad,sex is bad,gangs are bad is not helping at all! Educate them tell them the truth! every generation deserves not to be lied to. When a parent finds out that there child is smoking marijuana, they flip and i know that is not what a child needs from a parent what they need is for the parent in all circumstances to sit them down and in the case of weed ask them how they feel about smoking, instead of shunning,reprimanding and all around freaking out. Parents as well need to get educated and realize that there are harmful things in this world and then there things that are filled with propaganda and over exaggeration. Parents must find pull apart the truth from the lies or how are children expected to know what consequences of sex and drugs are? educated your child but make sure your being truthful, don't fill him or her with the fear of God over a bit of weed or if he has sex for the first time. When that time comes prepare your child for making smart decisions, but be real.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN777 View Post
You completely nailed it my friend.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia