Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM

39 posts, read 113,584 times

Advertisements

My husband was given orders to work at the base in Quantico and we are running out of time to find a house. We're planning on moving mid-June (July the latest). We are house hunting based off elementary schools. My first school choice is in Stafford and next pick was Parkside Ele in Fredericksburg, but...that seems too far? It's like a 30 minute commute to base without traffic. Sooo realistically how long would the commute be? This could be a make-or-break for us...I don't want him driving 2+ hours a day, I think he'd be miserable :/ But I have noticed you get less bang for your buck in Stafford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,573,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylijah View Post
My husband was given orders to work at the base in Quantico and we are running out of time to find a house. We're planning on moving mid-June (July the latest). We are house hunting based off elementary schools. My first school choice is in Stafford and next pick was Parkside Ele in Fredericksburg, but...that seems too far? It's like a 30 minute commute to base without traffic. Sooo realistically how long would the commute be? This could be a make-or-break for us...I don't want him driving 2+ hours a day, I think he'd be miserable :/ But I have noticed you get less bang for your buck in Stafford
What time does he have to be at work?

During regular rush hours, the trip up from Fredericksburg north is VERY heavy. Also, in the past year there have been an increasing number of accidents around the Quantico HOV area on I-95. This means even severe backups. Then, I've heard that getting on the base is no picnic. I would definitely lean toward Stafford. Depending on your budget, you could move north of Quantico and then do a reverse commute. Much better, especially during the summer months when I-95 is brutal.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:16 PM

127 posts, read 354,427 times
Depending on your BAH you should probably look North.
And - Welcome to NoVa!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:21 PM

512 posts, read 1,013,414 times
He could take the VRE or Amtrak from Fredericksburg to Quantico. PS VRE is building a new station in Stafford. Check out the schedules online. THe train is much better than driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia