Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 08:33 PM

32 posts, read 38,719 times

Advertisements

A few general questions...

1) First comes the loaded affordable rent question. In this case it's quite an awkward position because all of the apartments that I've found in or near Front Royal have income limits and as a single male making 60K means I can't live there LOL where might I want to look?

1B) Would I be insane to consider a commute from either Bealeton or Culpepper to Front Royal?

2) Is there wealth in Front Royal? I ask because I'd be working for a bank in an investment sales position and I noticed that the lobby of this location is pretty quiet, I know FR is a pretty awesome place but with all of the 'affordable housing' in the area (that I ironically make too much to live in LOL) will I even have the opportunity to profile and sell investments to people w/ larger incomes?

3) Is FR considered part of the DC Metro region? I would assume it isn't per-se but I want to justify a higher salary for this position when I negotiate next week since Reston/Leesburg are pretty expensive places in terms of a 1 bedroom apt, am I naive to think that HR should understand where I'm coming from with this?

I've been living in the area for a few months w/ family that has been here for a few years in Nokesville so I'm slightly familiar with things but not 110% there yet, any feed back would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 10:00 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
1) On 60k you can likely rent (maybe a share) a SFH in Front Royal. Winchester VA will have more rentals and is much better if you want "in town" living. There are probably many options if you want to have a little bit of land.

1B) Not insane but why, when you could rent in Winchester? Not sure how much you are into socializing/partying/etc., but Winchester is better for that than either Bealton (strip mall exurbia) or Culpeper (smaller town than Front Royal). Plus, it's closer. Rarely does the twain of "closer" and "a more fun area" meet up like this.

2) There are some commuters that make 70-120k HHI, mostly on the eastern side of Warren County, but the demographics are certainly poorer than further in.

3) Front Royal is very much an exurb of the DC area but is unique in that it was Hell Town for over 200 years before the greater DC blob hit. Likewise for Winchester, Warrenton, Culpeper, etc., etc.

Most who work in Front Royal live either there or up in Winchester.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,469 times
stpickrell is correct, but don't rule out Middletown, Strasburg, or Stephens City. Been a while since I was back there, but they are close by and bound to have grown some. There is a new Power Station coming to Front Royal, and that may bring some more business your way.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
stpickrell is correct, but don't rule out Middletown, Strasburg, or Stephens City. Been a while since I was back there, but they are close by and bound to have grown some. There is a new Power Station coming to Front Royal, and that may bring some more business your way.
But isn't most of the development out that way single-family homes from the low 200s and the such?

Old 05-04-2013, 07:32 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
stpickrell is correct, but don't rule out Middletown, Strasburg, or Stephens City. Been a while since I was back there, but they are close by and bound to have grown some.
Can't speak on Stephens City, but Strasburg and Middletown have not grown at all. For a single person, I think these small towns would be too isolating. I suggest looking in Winchester.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:39 AM

32 posts, read 38,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
1) On 60k you can likely rent (maybe a share) a SFH in Front Royal. Winchester VA will have more rentals and is much better if you want "in town" living. There are probably many options if you want to have a little bit of land.

1B) Not insane but why, when you could rent in Winchester? Not sure how much you are into socializing/partying/etc., but Winchester is better for that than either Bealton (strip mall exurbia) or Culpeper (smaller town than Front Royal). Plus, it's closer. Rarely does the twain of "closer" and "a more fun area" meet up like this.

2) There are some commuters that make 70-120k HHI, mostly on the eastern side of Warren County, but the demographics are certainly poorer than further in.

3) Front Royal is very much an exurb of the DC area but is unique in that it was Hell Town for over 200 years before the greater DC blob hit. Likewise for Winchester, Warrenton, Culpeper, etc., etc.

Most who work in Front Royal live either there or up in Winchester.
The rent seems cheaper down in Bealeton and Culpepper, you see I have this dumb complex about paying more than $800 for a one bedroom apt when I a mortgage could potentially be a few hundred more. Since I'm new I'd like to rent for a yr or 2 at max so I can save up funds towards a downpayment and buy something on the outskirts with 2 acres or so. I do not understand why people go crazy for these expensive, cheaply built, cookie cutter town homes out here but C'est la vie... By the way thanks for the feed back so far!

Old 05-04-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsox83 View Post
The rent seems cheaper down in Bealeton and Culpepper, you see I have this dumb complex about paying more than $800 for a one bedroom apt when I a mortgage could potentially be a few hundred more. Since I'm new I'd like to rent for a yr or 2 at max so I can save up funds towards a downpayment and buy something on the outskirts with 2 acres or so. I do not understand why people go crazy for these expensive, cheaply built, cookie cutter town homes out here but C'est la vie... By the way thanks for the feed back so far!
Maybe try Luray or Woodstock then ... those would be a shorter commute than Bealton and Culpeper. I'd only do those two if you can't find something in Winchester for $500-$600 or so ... if you have a way to get the Winchester Star do that, also some of the Winchester posters say that folks in the Old Town will just put a sign saying "For Rent" in their window.

Now if cost is a higher priority than "things to do" then I absolutely endorse looking at Woodstock and Front Royal. Maybe even look around Martinsburg WVA.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 AM

367 posts, read 884,347 times
I'm scratching my head, why would you be able to afford a townhouse in front royal, it's cheap area! As far as your position my opinon after living there is FR is a poor town, but I'm sure there are also people with money as well.
As a young single person let me tell you how miserable you will be and you will find yourself on 66E for entertainment moreso. Nokesville might feel country but you are a hop , skip and a jump from life. 60K is great income for the area its just personally what you are willing to sacrifice, the type of people is way different and not as diverese. I lived in the "village" 14th street - 8th street think near the hospital which constisted of old ranchers and townhomes, you could easily rent one of those for 600-750/month.
Personal experience don't be a sell out! I shutter thinking about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia