Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:20 AM

722 posts, read 1,922,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post

I can't imagine traffic being more congested there than LA! Incredible.

Thank you for your help. I will pass on what you said and see if she can give me more clear and concise answers about this move.
My family moved here from So. Cal (North San Diego County--but I had previously lived in Long Beach and Orange County) 7 years ago.

The traffic here is different than in California. During rush hour, I would say that it is worse than So. Cal---but it is predictable. You know that if you are driving North on the 95 (or East on the 66) towards DC in the morning, or South on the 95 (West on the 66) away from DC in the afternoon/evening, it's going to be unbearable. But at other times, it generally runs smooth. In California, it was bad, not quite as bad--but completely unpredictable. It could be bad at any time, on any freeway, in any direction. At least, that's been our experience.

So out here, if you are able to get a "reverse commute" going the opposite direction of traffic...or if you work non-typical hours, you won't run into nearly the traffic problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 08:15 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
tell them to stay in SoCal would be my advice

Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
So is D.C. as bad as I've heard? I've been told that crime is high as well as poverty.

If you worked in D.C., where would you live if you had 3 young kids and made, I don't know, over $100k/year. They don't want to be in the boonies, so someplace more urban, maybe suburban with a Target, Home Depot, large supermarkets, churches, movie theaters, etc. They would like to take the kids fishing and to spend time in nature, but just having it within reasonable driving distance is fine.

OP,

DC and its metropolitan area is probably one of the safest and most affluent regions in the U.S. Crime/poverty is by and large not an issue unless you're talking about specific areas within the city itself, and a few of its immediate suburbs VA and MD.

All the amenities you listed above are readily available throughout this area. Please ask your friend to pass on the specifics of where in D.C will he/she be working, a more definite housing budget etc.

Not sure what he/she is referring to by 'Fredericks' but if its the city of Fredericksburg or Frederick County VA, I would not recommend either of the two, from a commuting standpoint.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
tell them to stay in SoCal would be my advice

Ideally speaking I would move to SoCal in a heartbeat too, all else being equal. the weather absolutely cannot be beat

That said the DC area has grown on to me tremendously and is what I call "home" now

Old 05-07-2013, 08:56 AM

823 posts, read 1,783,703 times
She said her husband's company will eventually move to Tyson's Square in Northern VA. I think she means Tyson's Corner in the North? I don't know where they plan to live, but she said her husband plans to take the metro. Metro to D.C. I assume. Map shows it's about 21 minutes to drive from Tyson's Corner to D.C., so an hour by metro?

I am so lost in all this, but it seems they have a plan.

What is Northern VA like? She knows it gets humid. I read there's lots of Democrats Are the bugs a big problem? Is traffic in the North just as bad as the Fredericksburg area?

Thanks

Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
It gets quite humid in the summer, which I don't particularly like. But winters are generally pretty mild which I do like. I've never found bugs to be a big deal myself.

Your friend won't find a 4 bedroom house near Tysons Corners for 400k. They could probably find a 4 bedroom townhouse for somewhere between 400-500k, the higher they go the nicer it will be. If the husband's job is eventually moving to Tysons it will give them alot of flexibility as to where to live though. They can go much further out and still have a managable commute than they could if working in DC. I have friends who live in the Ashburn and Leesburg areas and commute to Tysons Corner for work.

Northern Virginia is such a huge area though, it's really hard to suggest specific neighborhoods without more info on what exactly they want.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:49 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
there are some parts of Arlington and Manassas that look just like east LA

Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
there are some parts of Arlington and Manassas that look just like east LA
Luckily you can actually carry in VA, not that I'd want to venture anywhere that is dangerous.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 AM

540 posts, read 790,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Luckily you can actually carry in VA, not that I'd want to venture anywhere that is dangerous.
What does this mean? There is little crime in Arlington. I lived in South Arlington for 4 years and never felt unsafe.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 AM

66 posts, read 117,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea
Where do people go or what do people/families do for fun?
One of the best things about Northern Virginia is that the kid-oriented activities are practically limitless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia