Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,758 times

Advertisements

Columbia Pike and George Carlin Springs Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 04:23 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The ramp from 50 East onto Washington Blvd crosses right into a right turn from Washington Blvd to S Courthouse Rd creating a mess.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=S+Was...ed=0CAsQ_AUoAg
Thanks for that. I didn't know that there was a Courthouse Rd there. You did have the "S" and that should have been enough to tell me that there was another part of Courthouse Rd somewhere. I agree that that intersection is a bad one. I try to avoid it. They rebuilt the bridge a while ago and did nothing to fix the lack of merge lanes at any point in that area.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:58 PM

494 posts, read 1,191,692 times
N Glebe Rd and Wilson Blvd Intersection, heading south on Glebe. There are 4 lanes. The far left one is for left turns, of course. The one next to it is problematic. These cars think they can go to the middle lane. Am I right on this? There should be some dotted lines directing them to stay left, correct? Couple of times I stay in the middle and they come into my lane.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:08 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
N Glebe Rd and Wilson Blvd Intersection, heading south on Glebe. There are 4 lanes. The far left one is for left turns, of course. The one next to it is problematic. These cars think they can go to the middle lane. Am I right on this? There should be some dotted lines directing them to stay left, correct? Couple of times I stay in the middle and they come into my lane.
At first, I couldn't figure out what you were saying. Then I remembered that the 3 lanes going through, don't line up well with the three lanes on the other side of the intersection. (Yes, there are three lanes on Glebe heading south where it crosses Wilson Bvld). I have often thought that they needed guidelines there because people confuse where they think the lanes continue across the huge intersection.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:53 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Columbia Pike and George Carlin Springs Rd.
It's wonderful to see that Arlington is honoring the great George Carlin!

We miss you, George!

Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 PM

494 posts, read 1,191,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
At first, I couldn't figure out what you were saying. Then I remembered that the 3 lanes going through, don't line up well with the three lanes on the other side of the intersection. (Yes, there are three lanes on Glebe heading south where it crosses Wilson Bvld). I have often thought that they needed guidelines there because people confuse where they think the lanes continue across the huge intersection.
I probably shouldn't have mentioned the left turn lane. Also Glebe kinda curves so that makes it confusing for the far left lane.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:11 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I haven't been near that intersection Dissenter mentions since they began redoing it. Previously, I didn't think it was that bad. My own list:

First place: Patrick Henry going south through Willston Center, to Route 50: Complete flustercluckery due to multiple entrances/exits for the Safeway lot on one side and for whatever is in that other center on the other side (which I never go to). And immediately after you cross 50, the tiny little slip lane to get to Home Depot has a permanent pothole and pedestrians with babies always trying to cross.

Second place: N. Pershing at N. Glebe. Always some buffoon trying to cross several lanes of traffic in exiting the tiny shopping center with the florist and the Salvadoran restaurant.

Third place: Washington Blvd going west in the morning between Glebe and Kirkwood, just behind the Giant. Too often there's an 18-wheeler blocking a lane of traffic to unload at Giant. And then the left turn onto Kirkwood (with no arrow) is sometimes a long wait.

Rosslyn is probably the most confusing place to drive, though I've hardly ever driven there on a weekday. On the weekends, the traffic isn't bad.

I should put Columbia Pike (all of it) on here somewhere, because it's such a mess--but then I hardly ever drive on it except to take our dog to the vet. All that construction, and then they're going to add a trolley, so it's only gonna get worse, permanently.

The easiest places to drive around in Arlington are the most suburan parts, north and west of the Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor. I have no problems getting around those places. North George Mason Drive is one thoroughfare that largely functions as intended, with traffic flowing efficiently, despite recent construction nearby. That's probably because it has long swaths without businesses (just homes or parkland), so you don't have people trying to enter/exit at frequent intervals. Also, whoever designed it had the good sense to create freeway-style merge ramps coming from Carlin Springs, rather than intersections (which would require stoplights). So from 50 to Wilson, it's often nonstop or stopping at one light. Contrast that with Glebe Road, which parallels it. I bet it would take twice as long to make the same trip.
I never have problems with the Patrick Henry one (Except when some idiot robbed that bank) but I totally agree with you on the entirety of Columbia Pike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
I think the entire Seven Corners intersection is insanity. I don't drive it much but I have had to do it recently and it confuses me. I am sure if I lived in the area I'd get used to it right away, but it's a mess. Also Glebe Rd near the 395 on-ramps and West Glebe is a disaster area too...constantly gets backed up in the evenings.
Seven Corners is generally not that bad. It has its times but I believe there are worse. I find the entire route on Rt. 7 through Culmore to be much more frustrating.

I would say the one I see everyday is the entrance onto Washington Blvd going toward the Pentagon right after RT. 50 and near Ft. Myer, I believe it is Walter Reed Dr. I see problems in the morning and on my way home in the evening. The merge area is effed up. I do not take that exit but I use the Rt. 50 one which just makes joining Washington Blvd from there a game of chance.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:32 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Forgive me for suggesting something that is not an intersection, but the entire pedestrian/bike/car layout of the Pentagon Row shopping center is a disaster. I am amazed that there haven't been more accidents due to its poor design.
I agree with this. It's not dangerous like the intersection Dissenter mentioned but it's not well designed. It manages to feel equally unfriendly to both pedestrians and cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia