Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 12:35 PM

15 posts, read 22,786 times

Advertisements

Depending on the price point, this market right now is a seller's market. Lower priced properties (sub $300 ish) are entertaining multiple offers w/ escalator clauses; however, seller could still face appraisal issues. Overall, there is low inventory so buyers are scrambling. Historically there is a shift as we enter early summer with inventory increasing and buyers dwindling. We'll just have to wait and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 01:26 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Why are there so many fewer homes available this year?
I recall more distressed properties last year.. Possible that sellers who were entertaining a short sale are trying to stick it out to see if they can get a bit more for their home to avoid the short. I know of atleast two homeowners in that situation currently.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:40 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
I recall more distressed properties last year.. Possible that sellers who were entertaining a short sale are trying to stick it out to see if they can get a bit more for their home to avoid the short. I know of atleast two homeowners in that situation currently.
I'm curious also if many people who need to move are renting out their homes rather than selling them.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:43 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,980 times
Quote:
I'm curious also if many people who need to move are renting out their homes rather than selling them.
definitely. if you can cover the majority of the mortgage and are comfortable with renters/property management, then let it sit for a year or two and reevaluate

Old 05-12-2013, 02:10 PM

540 posts, read 790,619 times
Houses in my neighborhood have been selling fast, but I've noticed in the last few weeks that the sellers are starting to shoot for the moon on ask prices, presumably knowing how hot the market is. I'm talking full-on peak prices in a neighborhood where we did get hit by 20% or so.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:17 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
Houses in my neighborhood have been selling fast, but I've noticed in the last few weeks that the sellers are starting to shoot for the moon on ask prices, presumably knowing how hot the market is. I'm talking full-on peak prices in a neighborhood where we did get hit by 20% or so.
Wow, back to 2006? If only that were reality. I'm kind of surprised Zillow forecasts only a 3.2% increase in our zip code for the year.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:39 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,982 times
Houses here are selling within a few days of being on market IF they are priced reasonably.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,997 times
On our street houses rarely went on the market over the last five years, within the last 2 or 3 months I have seen 4 or 5 houses go on the market and I think there may be one that is not under contract. It seems most have an open house and then the under market sign comes out a couple of days later.
We are 2 miles by road from the beltway.

I suggest you look at the last month of the real estate section in the Washington Post. It comes with the Saturday paper, but you may find it online. The post covers the Washington metro real estate market quite well.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:54 AM

237 posts, read 391,958 times
On my MRIS, I have 27 favorites tagged since May 1st. Of those, 9 are CnKO (which means contract with no withe pending contingencies and no kick out clause) and 18 are still active.

I also get the impression there is a ton of building going on in Loudoun County.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 AM

979 posts, read 1,775,389 times
I think in the sub-$350k market, it was similar last year. I know when we were looking, and that was our budget, EVERYTHING we looked at that we offered on had multiple offers, and some got bid up beyond our budget. The one we ended up getting we only got because the seller had a soft spot for us since I was pregnant! They did have another offer in hand that would have netted slightly more than our offer, but not enough for him to shoot down the young family.
Quote:
Yes. I know multiple people looking to move who will be renting out their current homes. I'm doing the same - renting our townhouse while we live in our newer SFH. We really had no choice since we are still too upside-down on our townhouse to sell it. Well, we did have a choice - not to move. But our quality of life is significantly improved now that we both live closer to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia