Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:18 PM

106 posts, read 238,723 times

Advertisements

I am planning to make a small counter, sink, floor, and shelf in a corner of my basement for a relative who is temporarily staying with me. I want to give him some private kitchen space. I am not making a kitchen in my basement as I live in Fairfax County. A fiend of mine will do the counter/sink/shelf for me. I just need a person to run the water line for the sick, add some outlets (possibly run a new fuse to the breaker box), and put in a kitchen floor 9ether tiles or a sheet).

I live near the Pohick Rd/Fairfax Cty Pkway intersection. Can anyone recommend a very affordable and quality person to do this small job the right way please? Thanks.

-=SunnaH=-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,429,140 times
Just as an aside, you may need a permit from Fairfax County to do this, even though it isn't a full kitchen. If people here can't suggest one person to do all of what you want done, I would recommend Chandler's Plumbing to run the water line. Others here may be able to suggest electricians and tile people.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,116,672 times
Can I Have Two Kitchens in My Home in Fairfax County? Is it a Zoning Violation? - Real Estate Advice

Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 PM

504 posts, read 1,206,701 times
This is a timely topic - I am not trying to build another kitchen but have been looking at several houses with full walk-out in-law suite in the lower floor.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,757,062 times
Plumber, electrician, and tile guy. Basically small contractor. Any plumber can do it, but it's liable to Be a much bigger deal than you think - the reason is drainage and venting.

You are likely to be unpleasantly surprised by what the affordable bid is. Depending on where things are now in relation to the build out.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:16 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,692,520 times
If you don't have full egress out of your basement a licensed guy may not do it. This stopped a neighbor of mine. they had a full bath so thought they could put in a mini kitchen, just sink and microwave. Contractor came in, took one look around at a full living suite with a couple relatives and turned them in to the county. Another neighbor says that didn't change anything, paid a fine/told them they were leaving, whatever, and of course they are still there. We have a very tough homeowners rules about people living there that aren't on lease/deed and are not adult children etc, and I know someone turns them in regularly to the HOA, but since they rarely come outside, never park anywhere but their driveway (4 cars..lots of car moving in the morning and night) and mow their grass most of us could care less.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:07 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,547,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
If you don't have full egress out of your basement a licensed guy may not do it. This stopped a neighbor of mine. they had a full bath so thought they could put in a mini kitchen, just sink and microwave. Contractor came in, took one look around at a full living suite with a couple relatives and turned them in to the county. Another neighbor says that didn't change anything, paid a fine/told them they were leaving, whatever, and of course they are still there. We have a very tough homeowners rules about people living there that aren't on lease/deed and are not adult children etc, and I know someone turns them in regularly to the HOA, but since they rarely come outside, never park anywhere but their driveway (4 cars..lots of car moving in the morning and night) and mow their grass most of us could care less.
Interesting about Fairfax County. So are mother-in-law suites and multi generation homes (3 or 4 generations) accomplished at all...say with permits?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Interesting about Fairfax County. So are mother-in-law suites and multi generation homes (3 or 4 generations) accomplished at all...say with permits?
You must have proper egress (exits) out of a basement to qualify. For instance, in my neighborhood, the houses do not have walkout basements or those exits where there is a door below ground level. We only have the below ground level windows with the grates. You can't get out in case of a fire. You also cannot legally have a bedroom in a basement that doesn't have it's own egress. You can have a walkout basement, but if there is a walled in bedroom, it must have an additional exit, as well as closets to be classified a bedroom. A bedroom must have two exits. This isn't just FFX County.

Different HOA are addressing the problem in different ways. Ours has many factors that allow it..parents/grandparents of any legal dweller (on lease/deed) allowed, adult children of legal dweller BUT it has stipulations on the total # of people (adults) based on the number of legal bedrooms. It is the legal bedroom thing that gets em. You can't tell a family that live in a 3 bedroom that they can't have 12 kids, but you enforce it when they become adults. Of course that is not the issue faced here, but you get the point.

Of course all this has to be enforced, that is where things breakdown. And it is a two fold problem, fire safety and a parking problem (which is huge in this area) I imagine most are turned in/complained about for parking issues.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,547,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
You must have proper egress (exits) out of a basement to qualify. For instance, in my neighborhood, the houses do not have walkout basements or those exits where there is a door below ground level. We only have the below ground level windows with the grates. You can't get out in case of a fire. You also cannot legally have a bedroom in a basement that doesn't have it's own egress. You can have a walkout basement, but if there is a walled in bedroom, it must have an additional exit, as well as closets to be classified a bedroom. A bedroom must have two exits. This isn't just FFX County.

Different HOA are addressing the problem in different ways. Ours has many factors that allow it..parents/grandparents of any legal dweller (on lease/deed) allowed, adult children of legal dweller BUT it has stipulations on the total # of people (adults) based on the number of legal bedrooms. It is the legal bedroom thing that gets em. You can't tell a family that live in a 3 bedroom that they can't have 12 kids, but you enforce it when they become adults. Of course that is not the issue faced here, but you get the point.

Of course all this has to be enforced, that is where things breakdown. And it is a two fold problem, fire safety and a parking problem (which is huge in this area) I imagine most are turned in/complained about for parking issues.
Thanks. I knew about the closets and windows. I know of some areas that consider the windows an egress as they would from a second story bedroom in event of fire. I wonder if it's a matter of size of those basement bedroom windows.

Got me thinking. Thanks.

What is the legal number of adult per legal bedroom there? Two per room?

Old 05-10-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Thanks. I knew about the closets and windows. I know of some areas that consider the windows an egress as they would from a second story bedroom in event of fire. I wonder if it's a matter of size of those basement bedroom windows.

Got me thinking. Thanks.

What is the legal number of adult per legal bedroom there? Two per room?
Not sure about the number per room or the window size. Can't be more than 2 people I would expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia