Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 06:38 PM

19 posts, read 27,087 times

Advertisements

I am from Connecticut and I just accepted a job in Potomac, MD so I will be moving in a few weeks. I am not familiar with the area so I've been trying to research areas to live in that won't be too far from Potomac. I am a single female so I am ultimately looking for an area that is safe, but is also a good area for singles. I was thinking about Alexandria, Silver Spring, Germantown or maybe College Park. I don't know about the areas, but are these good areas to look at relocating? I am also looking for a place where the rent won't be expensive. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 06:47 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Very very very different feelings in those areas. What are you looking for?

College Park is a university town. There is really nothing there except the university and businesses that cater to students. I have a soft spot for it, since I went to Maryland, but I still wouldn't live there today. Just not a lot going on for someone who's not in school.

Silver Spring has a pretty neat downtown with bars and high rise buildings, metro access and an urban feel.

Alexandria has a quaint "Old Town" area in the city proper. I love that area, but it will be a trek to Potomac. It also has suburban sprawl in the county portion (still has an Alexandria mailing address, but is technically Fairfax County, not Alexandria City). Still a trek to Potomac.

I think I would stick to looking in Maryland unless you have a reason to live in Virginia. If you can avoid a long commute crossing bridges into other states, you will thank yourself for it once you see the traffic here

I am not familiar with Germantown.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:55 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
The only place you mentioned that is NoVA is Alexandria. And if you are looking for "less expensive rent", you won't find it anywhere close to Potomac on the NoVa side.

I recommend re-posting on the Md Suburbs of Washington sub-forum. They will likely have many more suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia