Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:31 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,307,044 times

Advertisements

Have you searched through the old threads here? I swear I've seen threads on Loudoun County's special needs programs before. I want to say they were not glowing recommendations but I can't remember exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 01:31 PM

97 posts, read 203,817 times
Since your husband is a guardsman and promotions are slot-based, what's the real downside of just not accepting the promotion at this time? I know it seems like it'll never happen again if he doesn't take it now, but it will. Slots open up all the time.

If he does take the promotion, how long will it take for you guys to reach again the effective income you earn now? 2 years? 5 years?

Old 05-20-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
If you "will only accept the best for your child", you'll need to make sacrifices (both financially, and in your husband's time). Spend more money to stay in Fairfax county, subject your Dh to a longer commute, and quit complaining about he loss of BAH and how unfair it is. If this is the first "unfair" move you've been subjected to in your husband's military career, consider yourself lucky. In fact, consider yourself lucky that staying in Fairfax county is even an option at all, even with the higher cost and longer commute. Be glad that his possible promotion won't put him in Korea or Alabama or some other place where a commute from Fairfax wouldn't be possible.
Nah, he's a guardsman, which is Virginia only. I'm sure he's been overseas for TDY deployments, but his home will always be Virginia.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:37 PM

43 posts, read 131,915 times
Quote:
If you "will only accept the best for your child", you'll need to make sacrifices (both financially, and in your husband's time). Spend more money to stay in Fairfax county, subject your Dh to a longer commute, and quit complaining about he loss of BAH and how unfair it is. If this is the first "unfair" move you've been subjected to in your husband's military career, consider yourself lucky. In fact, consider yourself lucky that staying in Fairfax county is even an option at all, even with the higher cost and longer commute. Be glad that his possible promotion won't put him in Korea or Alabama or some other place where a commute from Fairfax wouldn't be possible.
I already stated I would accept down-sizing, and I never complained about my husband's time. I am already accustomed to being on my own a lot. And when did I state it was all 'unfair?' I am trying to make the best of this situation and you're attacking me.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:43 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,922,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHunny View Post
I already stated I would accept down-sizing, and I never complained about my husband's time. I am already accustomed to being on my own a lot. And when did I state it was all 'unfair?' I am trying to make the best of this situation and you're attacking me.
No one is attacking. You seem to be very defensive, worried, and frustrated about the impending changes, and I suspect you are that much more likely to be upset by poster's comments.

You have gotten good feedback based on the questions you asked. The comments suggesting you contact the specific counties to ask about their early intervention programs are good ones. I'd do it soon, while schools/counties still have full staff on hand. In a month or so, many people will be out of the office.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:55 PM

43 posts, read 131,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
No one is attacking. You seem to be very defensive, worried, and frustrated about the impending changes, and I suspect you are that much more likely to be upset by poster's comments.

You have gotten good feedback based on the questions you asked. The comments suggesting you contact the specific counties to ask about their early intervention programs are good ones. I'd do it soon, while schools/counties still have full staff on hand. In a month or so, many people will be out of the office.
Ok. I'm just gonna bow out now. Thanks for the tips.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:01 PM

722 posts, read 1,918,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInMA View Post
Nah, he's a guardsman, which is Virginia only. I'm sure he's been overseas for TDY deployments, but his home will always be Virginia.
I see. My Dh is a Marine, so I guess I didn't think about the difference with a National Guardsman being specific to a state. I guess a better choice than "Korea or Alabama" would have been "Roanoke or Norfolk"?

Mrs. Hunny I'm sorry if you felt like I was attacking you. That was not my intention. I just felt that you came off very poorly with your assumptions about Winchester schools--even though you also admitted to knowing nothing about them. I guess I felt like YOU were "attacking" Winchester.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I see. My Dh is a Marine, so I guess I didn't think about the difference with a National Guardsman being specific to a state. I guess a better choice than "Korea or Alabama" would have been "Roanoke or Norfolk"?

Mrs. Hunny I'm sorry if you felt like I was attacking you. That was not my intention. I just felt that you came off very poorly with your assumptions about Winchester schools--even though you also admitted to knowing nothing about them. I guess I felt like YOU were "attacking" Winchester.
Gotcha. Yeah, the Army National Guard and Air National Guard are all affiliated with their home states, which is kinda goofy since they both have "national" in their names. The rest of the branches have "reserves," including the Marines, which fall under the federal purview.

FWIW, I don't think you're far off with your take on MrsHunny's tone in the OP. Just look at the subject. That said, like CaliTerp07 pointed out, I'm fairly sure there's a high degree of frustration and helplessness with her current situation, which came across in her post. I can't fault her for that. And she's probably right about Winchester's vs. Fairfax's quality with taking care of autistic kids. Sometimes, with a little cursory data, this knowledge is pretty self-evident. It doesn't make Winchester a bad place, just one with lesser means.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:40 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,307,044 times
Maybe she wasn't attacking the OP, but she could've probably done without the faceslap emoticon. Can't express your snarkiness enough with just words? Throw that in

Old 05-20-2013, 03:21 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,874,525 times
Hey.. she's in her 3rd trimester. Be more charitable! She's full of hormones emotion and freakiness right now. Pregnant woman are responsible for their words but we should be more understanding! Its not like she's pumped full of Meth and is a selfish tweeker!
She might be more accepting and less reactive of her dh's career requirements/impact a year from now, when she's had her 2nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia