Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 10:15 PM

85 posts, read 160,795 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a permanent placement in the Aquia Harbour neighborhood, but we're open to neighborhoods with a similar feel: established, treed, amenities, access to water, good schools. We haven't been in Stafford much outside of AH, and we're clueless! The schools on the other side of 95 look a little bit better, but we really are in love with the environment in AH. We have two young girls, husband might be working in Arlington on off hours, and we love the water, nature, and need a one-car garage at least. We will be renting to start but plan on buying within the same school district within a few years. There aren't many rentals within our budget ($1800) in AH right now. Any ideas are helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 02:12 PM

300 posts, read 606,718 times
Vista Woods is another older, treed, established neighborhood in Stafford. Most of those homes are about the same age as those in Aquia Harbour. Not sure if you'll get the same amenities in Vista Woods, although decent schools are in the neighborhood (Rockhill ES, Garrisonville ES, and AG Wright Middle). Hampton Oaks is a little newer neighborhood, built in the mid-90s, and has good amenities (clubhouse, pool, in-neighborhood elementary school) but is less treed/more open and has more major roads running through the subdivision. Aquia Harbour is the only gated community I can think of in North Stafford. If you don't mind an older home, I'd go with the Harbour simply due to amenities and the private, natural feel.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:32 PM

Thank you! That's what I was assuming...Aquia Harbour seems to be its own gem. We can live without the gate in the community, but it is nice. I'll check out the others and see if it's worth pursuing!

Old 05-21-2013, 05:29 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,117 times
Arlington is a long way from Stafford no matter what time of day you go. Consider something closer.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:45 PM

It's the closest we can afford, and he would be second shift (T-Sat), so we'll make do. We would love to be closer, but it isn't feasible. I think we're in the same boat as many others!

Old 05-22-2013, 11:56 PM

39 posts, read 114,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2write79 View Post
My family is considering a permanent placement in the Aquia Harbour neighborhood, but we're open to neighborhoods with a similar feel: established, treed, amenities, access to water, good schools. We haven't been in Stafford much outside of AH, and we're clueless! The schools on the other side of 95 look a little bit better, but we really are in love with the environment in AH. We have two young girls, husband might be working in Arlington on off hours, and we love the water, nature, and need a one-car garage at least. We will be renting to start but plan on buying within the same school district within a few years. There aren't many rentals within our budget ($1800) in AH right now. Any ideas are helpful!
It would be hard to find a nice, decent priced rental in Stafford. I considered taking that route too but refuse to pay off someone else's mortgage. My price limit is $300,000 to buy and $1800 to rent. Have spent endless hours researching where I want to settle and have decided that it's the school thats most important. Garrisonville is in the top 5% - out of the 1060 schools in VA - and I'm going to jump on that. I felt a weight lifed off my shoulders when I decided to send him there because I know I'm giving him the best.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 AM

15 posts, read 26,294 times
I know I have a lot of clients that consider Stafford when they move here, but quickly knock it off their lists when they realize how far away it is. There are some great places there (Aquia Harbour is definitely one of them), and some pretty good schools, but you never get to go home due to the commute.

There are other areas to consider on the northern side (along the toll road) that can be had for around the same budget. I would talk to your Realtor and have him/her show you around up there. Whenever I do that for my clients, they tend to change their mind.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:07 PM

389 posts, read 1,229,936 times
I personally can not stand driving through Aquia Harbor. The roads drive me nuts, and Richmond (I think that is the name) is very hard to get up in icy conditions. I'd look at Austin Ridge, North Hampton, and Park Ridge first. I'm also big on downsizing for a smaller commute and would encourage you to look at Burke/W. Springfield as well.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:17 PM

Thanks for all of the input, everyone! We're also considering Lake Ridge, and I really love it there. My husband grew up in Annandale, and while we'd love to be in the Springfield area, it's not in the budget. We're looking to spend around $1800. He'll be on an afternoon/evening shift, so the traffic won't be too much of a concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia