U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2007, 04:41 PM

6 posts, read 14,034 times

Advertisements

I will start a fellowship with the Department of Transportation, doing research in DC. I and my wife, are planning to move soon and wanted your suggestions on where to look for safe apartments. We are looking to spend around 1300 for a studio or 1bd (giving preference to cheaper places) in a relatively safe area in North Virginia or any place you would suggest. I'll be using the metro, and don't mind traveling for up to 1 hr each way. So should I look for places farther out (Vienna etc) or somewhere away from the metro to get these prices.. It doesn't matter if the neighborhoods don't offer anything fancy, (nice restaurants, shopping) as long as I can use the metro and get to DC.

Any letter (let alone a whole sentence with recommendation) from you is hiighly appreciated.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 08:52 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,026,991 times
My apartment complex, Munson Hill Towers, is right by Bailey's Crossroads and pretty convenient to DC/Tyson's/most places. My 895 ft 1 bedroom is only $1169...pretty sure they still have openings, might want to look into it.

And no, I don't work for Munson Hill Towers. I just really like my apartment complex :P

Plusses: Close proximity to many things, very nice building, diversity (many races), fairly cheap rent, LARGE apartments, balcony, gas stove, very clean, swimming pool, basketball court, tennis courts.

(potential) Negatives: diversity (I'd say about half the building is non-white), co-ed utilities, elevator sometimes breaks, not a big "party" building as it's mostly families here.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:06 AM

86 posts, read 349,700 times
I know there are some apartments near the East Falls Church and West Falls Church metro stations that are probably in that price range... not sure about other stations in Arlington (those tend to get more pricey).

Old 11-03-2007, 08:24 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,437,033 times
Hi,

You should do OK in that price range unless it also includes utilities. But even so, you should be able to find something. Maybe you can pull out the metro map and look at the stops. I mainly just know the orange line which hits good neighborhoods all the way out ...

Metro - Metrorail System Map (http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm - broken link)

PS - Smerky girl's recommendation sounds good; that would be pretty close in, etc.

Last edited by goldenmom7500; 11-03-2007 at 09:32 AM..

Old 11-03-2007, 10:16 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,946,020 times
Which color Metro train goes to where you'll be working?

Old 11-03-2007, 11:43 AM

192 posts, read 193,044 times
If you're working for DOT, you will be able to look in the mirror and see why you should not move to this area.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:02 PM

Will do, I'm looking at other places as well. As long as its safe, and within reachable limits of DC, I don't mind the other inconveniences. NOVA or MD is fine.. I've heard that Silver Spring may be a good substitute to Arlington. Any idea if that is true, or if there is more to that?

thanks

Old 11-03-2007, 03:05 PM

YANKEESFAN
I think the green line, goes to DOT. Its NAVY YARD station.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:20 AM

3,149 posts, read 8,085,311 times
I live in River House in Pentagon City and like it. Studios are in your price range I believe.

Area is very safe and right across the street from the Metro (Yellow and Blue line). If you're going to the Green line, Pentagon City is very convenient as you are only two stops away from the transfer point (L'Enfant Plaza).

Another perk is the shopping and restaurants right across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia