Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:12 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

Yesterday morning, around 7:20 a.m., a raccoon (which was more gold colored!!) - was up on our deck railing drinking from the birds' water dish, it then moseyed around awhile, then got down and walked down the steps (I lost track of it then). Today, I find out that people across the street had animal control remove 4 raccoons from their house (attic I assume but English is a barrier), husband was working in the yard and heard animal control say "I left it open so the rest can get out, I'll be back tomorrow). Last year the people next door to us had raccoons get into their attic space from the outside vent!!

I have a few concerns: we have a Cape Cod house and from the bedroom upstairs I sometimes hear "scampering/running" overheard - we have no attic access although there obviously has to be one as the ceiling isn't high-peaked like the roof, 2nd: I thought they were strictly nocturnal, not out and about during daylight, 3rd: husband is a transplant recipient and thus a compromised immune system - I worry about any possible transmission of "whatever".

Anybody seen more 'coon activity lately?

I forgot to add: many years ago, we had a feral cat colony that we cared for (they've long since been relocated), but back then raccoons would hang around, we also had a Germ. Shep. that confronted one once (as well as some opossums ) - dog has since passed but thankfully never had direct contact with any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
My dog cornered one last month. I let her out in the yard after dark, and I watched her little red light up collar (fabulous invention, by the way) bolt across the yard to the corner of the fence. I thought she was chasing a cat. I grabbed a flashlight and walked over to see what it was, and I saw the mask and the beady eyes staring back at me from under the neighbor's shed on the other side of the fence.

That thing hissed like mad, and I had to drag my whining, prey drivey dog away from it and back into the house, where she proceeded to cry at the back door all night.

They're nasty suckers. One of them killed my pet rabbit when I was a child. I'm amazed how many of my neighbors let their cats roam loose. A cat will lose in a fight with a raccoon, big time.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
I live in the country (Middleburg) and the only creatures I see are along Rt 50 when I drive home at night. Normally it's dark, so I only see beady eyes. In three years, I have never seen a single wild creature in (or near) my property.

I guess the (combined) 8 dogs in the immediate vicinity keeps the other creatures away.....

Old 05-15-2013, 06:57 AM

267 posts, read 511,888 times
I haven't seen any yet.

I'm pretty sure if they were in my area the dog would have killed one by now, seeing as she's killed most every other small critter at least once.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:08 PM

Saw either the same one or another one, again up on the railing drinking from the birds' water - saw it about 20 mins. ago so it was/is still light.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:05 AM

48 posts, read 52,469 times
I had one inside the walls of my Cape Cod a couple years ago. It pushed it's way into the attic area through a soffit on the side of the house. We made a lot of noise in the house, banging on the walls, blaring boomboxes in the attic, etc. When I was pretty sure it was gone closed the soffit up and crossed my fingers. There's always a danger that you'll lock a mother out and kids in and you won't know until they die and start to smell. I lucked out.

My mother-in-law had one in her house this spring. She heard noises in the walls and thought it was birds. Later she noticed a piece of siding torn loose. Racoons can be very strong and destructive if they want in. She paid someone to get the racoon(s) out of her place.

I would say look around your house real well for signs of entry. The signs I've seen have not been subtle.

I also have been hearing noises above the flat portion of the ceiling upstairs. In my case I think (hope) it's squirrels jumping on to the roof from a nearby tree.

Good luck.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:43 AM

21 posts, read 38,170 times
There's a raccoon wandering around Brambleton in the broad daylight which kinda odd. I wonder if its rabid. I know my neighbor called animal control.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:57 AM

Thanks mcknigs - I'll have to look better, it's really hard to see all the way up - I too hope what I hear above is just squirrels running ON the roof!

Old 05-24-2013, 07:03 PM

154 posts, read 388,118 times
Default Staffing Agencies

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good staffing agency? I am not sure if there are some that specialize in education and or international development/relations. Often times, you spend tons of time completing paper work and an interview process with them only to not be called or offered a 3 or 4 day assignment with low pay when you are looking for temp to perm or direct hire. I would appreciate it someone could recommend an agency where they had a good experience.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leerinsmom View Post
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good staffing agency? I am not sure if there are some that specialize in education and or international development/relations. Often times, you spend tons of time completing paper work and an interview process with them only to not be called or offered a 3 or 4 day assignment with low pay when you are looking for temp to perm or direct hire. I would appreciate it someone could recommend an agency where they had a good experience.
No clue why you asked in the Northern Virginia/raccoon forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia