U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:51 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,809,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungbill64 View Post
It would be one thing if they did it, let's say, only on the Fourth of July or Memorial Day, but EVERY Friday and Saturday night from about 8pm til 2am. The only time they don't have a fire in the street is when it's raining.

I get what everyone is saying about being neighborly, but, really? Every Friday and Saturday? There aren't many people I want to see that much of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,619,006 times
I would be annoyed if it were every Friday and Saturday like you say. On holidays - sure. Once per month? Perhaps. But every single weekend? No. It's nice that they invited you, but then again, they'd really be shooting themselves in their feet if they didn't invite the neighbors. Since they're nice, why not bring it up to them? Of course, you'll look like the bad guy. Do the other neighbors participate? Is it just in the spring/summer or all year long.

I lived on a cul-de-sac and we all got along. Sometimes there were parties, but they were special events only. I wouldn't want to live near that every. single. weekend.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:33 PM

687 posts, read 1,126,852 times
So what happens when you want to drive to or from your house? Do these people expect you to park on another street and walk to your house? I suspect these are also the kind of people who think it is ok to light fireworks a few feet away from your car.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:21 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,940,261 times
Your neighbors are a bunch of nedreck idiots. A public street is not a backyard. Call the police.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,016,057 times
If there's any alcohol involved, I think that's an additional violation the cops could get them on. I'm assuming in the Police/Nanny State that is VA, consuming alcohol on a public road is a heinous offense.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:25 AM

237 posts, read 333,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I'm looking at this from a different point of view. I've always thought that if I lived in a cul de sac area, it would be fun to have parties with the neighbors in the circle. And the fact that they invited you...I'd embrace it so long as they leave a space for people to get out with their cars.
I would pay extra to have such neighbors.

However, do you have an HOA? HOA that was over the last development I lived in was pretty hard line about stuff like this.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:44 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,016,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dystopian View Post
I would pay extra to have such neighbors.
But would you want it going on until 2am when you had to go to work the next day? Would be fine if we gathered there just during cocktail hour and the occasional weekend cookout.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 AM

617 posts, read 1,152,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
But would you want it going on until 2am when you had to go to work the next day? Would be fine if we gathered there just during cocktail hour and the occasional weekend cookout.
This is more along the lines of what I mean, though the OP said this occurs Friday and Saturday nights; they probably assume their neighbors work a standard 9-5. I was thinking more along the lines of a daytime, bust out the grills and a tv running off a generator for football sort of thing. At 2:00 a.m., I'd be annoyed.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:13 PM

213 posts, read 429,260 times
I live in a cul-de-sac and I absolutely would not put up with this. After reading this thread, I really appreciate the fact that my neighbors keep their parties in their front or back yards or in their homes and that it's quiet once it gets dark out (a lot of families have young kids). Parking and space can already get tight being at the end of the cul-de-sac, so I would find it pretty rude for a group of people to just take up all that space. What if you want to have visitors over? And what about the noise factor especially since this is late at night. I don't know what you can do about it, but definitely don't just put up with it! Good luck!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:15 AM

237 posts, read 333,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia