Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:50 AM

58 posts, read 76,526 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Ashburn in 3 weeks. My almost 19 yr old son has not been able to find a job here in NJ yet. It is a big problem in our area. Will his chances improve once we move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 11:54 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Any job? Sure there's tons of hourly jobs to be had in the area. It's a big metro area.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
What kind of job is he seeking? What kind of job skills does he possess? It's hard to give you advice with so little info to go on.

If you're talking retail, coffee shops, etc, there is a regional mall -- Dulles Town Center and an outlet mall in Leesburg. There are a couple of large garden centers between Leesburg and Ashburn.

There are also several golf courses/country clubs -- Brambleton, River Creek, Lansdowne, Goose Creek, 1757 and Belmont -- all very close to Ashburn.

There is also a large new movie theater -- Alamo Cinema and Drafthouse -- opening fairly soon as well as one in Leesburg by Wegmans grocery store.

Good luck.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:29 PM

147 posts, read 410,266 times
If I were the parent of an 18 year old high school grad who had no plans on going to college, I certainly wouldn't point him toward the mall for gainful employment. There's a ton of building going on around here though, from home remodels, to new builds, to office buildings, etc. I'd point him to the local community college to maybe get into some program that would eventually lead to an apprenticeship as a carpenter/electrician/plumber, or something like that.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:29 PM

He has no job experience at all. He hasn't even been able to get a job in a fast food chain around here.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:33 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minipaws View Post
He has no job experience at all. He hasn't even been able to get a job in a fast food chain around here.
Really? I got a job at CVS when I was 16, with no job experience. Maybe the job market in New Jersey is that bad that there is alot of competition for low paying hourly jobs? If that's what he's shooting for I'm pretty sure he'll find something in Northern Virginia.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
If I were the parent of an 18 year old high school grad who had no plans on going to college, I certainly wouldn't point him toward the mall for gainful employment. There's a ton of building going on around here though, from home remodels, to new builds, to office buildings, etc. I'd point him to the local community college to maybe get into some program that would eventually lead to an apprenticeship as a carpenter/electrician/plumber, or something like that.
I agree completely. But OP didn't give any indication of skills, which leads you to minimum wage jobs.

I also agree, Northern Virginia Community College is a great idea and very close to Ashburn.

But a lot of that depends on son's motivation. A few months in a dead-end job may wake him up to the importance of finding an opportunity with career growth thru education or training.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,494 times
How strong are grocery store unions (UFCW) out here?

When I was just starting college at 18, I got a job at a union grocery store chain--this was in Southern California. Pay started just above minimum wage but it was easy to get promoted quickly and pay increased a lot. Within about 2 years I was promoted to checker, making around $12/hr with "time and a half" on Sundays and "triple time" on holidays. This was back in the mid-90s, when minimum wage was around $5.50/hr--so not bad for a 20 year old college student.

Also, since it was union, you got guaranteed hours (number of hours, not guaranteed the days/times you want) and excellent health benefits.

I know I've seen some of the grocery stores around here with union stickers on the door, but not sure if the union here has negotiated as strong a contract as ours did?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:08 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
It seems like every place around Ashburn is always hiring. A lot of the high school kids don't work (either don't need the money, or they're doing sports camps or SAT camps or whatever) and there aren't a lot of college-aged people here.

Can he lifeguard? Some of the area pools (like Broadlands) didn't open with as many hours last week because the management companies use a lot of international kids (mostly from Eastern Europe) and it's been harder to get visas since the Boston bombings. My neighborhood uses Crystal Aquatics, which hires locally.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the ideas. It sounds like he will have better chances there than he has had here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia