U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,023,055 times
Reputation: 6824

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I was in a barbershop in Alexandria a couple days after this happened. I talked to a guy who knew the victim and he says it was over a dice game. Basically as he described it, the deputy got mad he lost and a few hours later came back started something and shot Hawkins. If that is even partly accurate, the deputy should spend the rest of his life locked up..
If he took money off the victim, I believe that would make this a capital offense (murder during commission of a robbery). The rest of his life may not be all that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2013, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,557 posts, read 10,846,462 times
Reputation: 5564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
He was not a police officer; he was a deputy sheriff. Their job is not law enforcement; it's guarding and transporting prisoners. In Arlington, I believe all that's requried is a background check and a lot less training--to make I think something like $40K/year for working 25-hour weeks. I used to know a deputy who was a realtor on the side.

Wrong. Sheriff is an elected position and the highest ranking LE position within their jurisdiction. Deputies are sworn LE and have the same arrest powers as all police officers. I don't know what they make there but in many localities the pay is the same as the police officers in the same county. PWC is one example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,023,055 times
Reputation: 6824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Wrong. Sheriff is an elected position and the highest ranking LE position within their jurisdiction. Deputies are sworn LE and have the same arrest powers as all police officers. I don't know what they make there but in many localities the pay is the same as the police officers in the same county. PWC is one example.
In some counties and cities including Arlington, Fairfax and Alexandria, there are regular police departments and I believe the sheriff deputies are just marshals of the court who do things like serve warrants, provide courthouse security and supervise prisoners. What you're talking about would be more the model in a county like Loudoun, where they act as the main county police force. Where I live, I can't imagine anyone gets pulled over or arrested for a street crime by the Fairfax County Sheriff's department. That's for the folks in the blue cruisers to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,573 posts, read 33,297,972 times
Reputation: 32138
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
In some counties and cities including Arlington, Fairfax and Alexandria, there are regular police departments and I believe the sheriff deputies are just marshals of the court who do things like serve warrants, provide courthouse security and supervise prisoners. What you're talking about would be more the model in a county like Loudoun, where they act as the main county police force. Where I live, I can't imagine anyone gets pulled over or arrested for a street crime by the Fairfax County Sheriff's department. That's for the folks in the blue cruisers to do.
A few years back I almost got hit by a guy who blew through a red light in Alexandria. A sheriff's deputy was right behind me and turned on his lights and went right after the idiot. Deputies inside the beltway will probably not be doing the traffic extortion, err, enforcement, but they will not hesitate to go after obvious acts of driving stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,557 posts, read 10,846,462 times
Reputation: 5564
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
In some counties and cities including Arlington, Fairfax and Alexandria, there are regular police departments and I believe the sheriff deputies are just marshals of the court who do things like serve warrants, provide courthouse security and supervise prisoners. What you're talking about would be more the model in a county like Loudoun, where they act as the main county police force. Where I live, I can't imagine anyone gets pulled over or arrested for a street crime by the Fairfax County Sheriff's department. That's for the folks in the blue cruisers to do.
The erroneous information just continues on here. The Sheriff's Departments, regardless of where, can and do enforce traffic and criminal laws around here. In places like Alexandria, Arlington where the primary LE is a police department they do mainly focus on court security, jail security, civil process, mental commitments and so on. Go ahead and run a red light in front of a PWC deputy and let me know how that goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,023,055 times
Reputation: 6824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
The erroneous information just continues on here. The Sheriff's Departments, regardless of where, can and do enforce traffic and criminal laws around here. In places like Alexandria, Arlington where the primary LE is a police department they do mainly focus on court security, jail security, civil process, mental commitments and so on. Go ahead and run a red light in front of a PWC deputy and let me know how that goes.
I don't think anyone here disputes they're sworn peace officers and I'm not sure what difference it makes to this case. I've lived in my county a long time and never once seen someone pulled over by a deputy, although I'm sure it's theoretically possible.

I'd actually prefer a system where the chief law enforcement officer was elected rather than hired. Although that sentiment may come from my Western heritage. I have a bunch of elected county sheriffs in my family tree.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 06-01-2013 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 03:16 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,738 posts, read 8,943,215 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Wrong. Sheriff is an elected position and the highest ranking LE position within their jurisdiction. Deputies are sworn LE and have the same arrest powers as all police officers. I don't know what they make there but in many localities the pay is the same as the police officers in the same county. PWC is one example.
You obviously would know more about deputy sheriffs' (not those of the actual sheriff) arrest powers than I--but I wonder if the duties (as well as pay) are different in Arlington and PWC. This help-wanted ad for deputy sheriffs in Arlington states: "A Deputy Sheriff performs a variety of duties either in corrections, inmate transportation, service of legal process or courtroom/courthouse security. Initial assignment will be in our state of the art direct supervision detention facility."

It also notes that applicants need only a GED to be eligible. And re. pay: "Earn a starting salary of $48,006 while working only 15 days per month Work mostly 12-hour fixed shifts with evening shifts earning an extra $1.00 per hour.

Bottom line: A GED, clean record, and lack of morbid obesity mean a young person can make a high income performing what Arlington County advertises as what anyone would describe as prison-guard duties.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 06-01-2013 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,557 posts, read 10,846,462 times
Reputation: 5564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
You obviously would know more about deputy sheriffs' (not those of the actual sheriff) arrest powers than I--but I wonder if the duties (as well as pay) are different in Arlington and PWC. This help-wanted ad for deputy sheriffs in Arlington states: "A Deputy Sheriff performs a variety of duties either in corrections, inmate transportation, service of legal process or courtroom/courthouse security. Initial assignment will be in our state of the art direct supervision detention facility."

It also notes that applicants need only a GED to be eligible. And re. pay: "Earn a starting salary of $48,006 while working only 15 days per month Work mostly 12-hour fixed shifts with evening shifts earning an extra $1.00 per hour.

Bottom line: A GED, clean record, and lack of morbid obesity mean a young person can make a high income performing what Arlington County advertises as what anyone would describe as prison-guard duties.
GED or not the Sheriff can still be picky on who he chooses. This is just a minmum. Also, check and I'll bet that salary is very close to the starting salary for the Arlington PD. This same definition will be listed for all the Sheriff deputies where they are not the primary LE agency. But it doesn't take away the fact they are sworn LEO's with the same arrest powers as a police officer.
PWC still does not require a college degree to be hired although the vast majority of officers being hired do have degrees. When I was hired back in the late 70's few of us had any degrees. We were encouraged to obtain one early on and many did complete one.

I did a quick search and the starting salary for an Arlington Co Police Officer is: Starting annual salary of $48,000.

Also, deputies from all Sheriff's Offices do attend an accredited police academy. (In the NOVA area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 04:09 PM
 
Location: DMV
10,136 posts, read 11,615,351 times
Reputation: 3181
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I was in a barbershop in Alexandria a couple days after this happened. I talked to a guy who knew the victim and he says it was over a dice game. Basically as he described it, the deputy got mad he lost and a few hours later came back started something and shot Hawkins. If that is even partly accurate, the deputy should spend the rest of his life locked up.

I can't say I'm totally objective here. I went to TC Williams and Hawkins was friends with several of my younger friends. 22 years old, dead over a stupid dice game. Disgusting.
If that is true, then that is definitely not good for the deputy. One thing about this case that I did not understand is they declared this a homicide, and then stated that they had to take days to investigate further before making an arrest. I'm sorry but if you are announcing that something is a homicide, then you are basically saying, somebody shot this man, if that is the admission then else is left to be investigated? Was there somebody else that could have possibly shot him besides the deputy? I definitely didn't hear such a thing. It sound like some shady police work if you ask me. Hopefully all the facts come out and if he did indeed kill this young man (regardless of the reason), he will not see the light of day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 08:42 PM
 
123 posts, read 179,873 times
Reputation: 73
GMU cops are actually State Police Officers, with arrest powers throughout the state, however, their actual duties are confined to checking plastic cups of 20 year olds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top