Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times

Advertisements

Another NoVA killer cop story:

Arlington deputy sheriff charged with murder in Alexandria shooting of shuttle driver - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 07:30 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,892,222 times
article states the sheriff was off duty at the time. curious if, when the facts come out, it is established that he was just another citizen carrying a firearm..

Old 05-31-2013, 07:32 PM

939 posts, read 1,892,758 times
I'm just ashamed that the Alexandria police department let this guy go free for a week. Absolutely disgusting behavior.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 PM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
article states the sheriff was off duty at the time. curious if, when the facts come out, it is established that he was just another citizen carrying a firearm..
How or why would that make a difference?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 PM

whew.. just read through the comments from the article.. if it is true that this was over a street dice game

Old 05-31-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
How or why would that make a difference?
because if he was off duty (but legally able to CCW) and for whatever reason, got into an altercation and used his gun, IMO, the author of the article would be looking to drum up some attention by titling the article the way they did... (from an initial glance, the article would lead someone to believe that a uniformed officer killed a uniformed shuttle driver)

just sayin

Old 05-31-2013, 09:50 PM

32 posts, read 109,186 times
Quote:
because if he was off duty (but legally able to CCW) and for whatever reason, got into an altercation and used his gun, IMO, the author of the article would be looking to drum up some attention by titling the article the way they did... (from an initial glance, the article would lead someone to believe that a uniformed officer killed a uniformed shuttle driver)

just sayin
""...he was just another citizen carrying a firearm.."

Not sure what your point is... even if he was off duty, as a police officer he could carry a firearm pretty much anywhere, unlike a normal citizen with a CHP (Concealed handgun permit: which Virginia issues to 'normal' civilians ) due to Federal law (Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act)
So no , he would not just be like any other citizen carrying a firearm regardless of wether he was on or off duty.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:29 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
whew.. just read through the comments from the article.. if it is true that this was over a street dice game
I was in a barbershop in Alexandria a couple days after this happened. I talked to a guy who knew the victim and he says it was over a dice game. Basically as he described it, the deputy got mad he lost and a few hours later came back started something and shot Hawkins. If that is even partly accurate, the deputy should spend the rest of his life locked up.

I can't say I'm totally objective here. I went to TC Williams and Hawkins was friends with several of my younger friends. 22 years old, dead over a stupid dice game. Disgusting.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:12 AM

123 posts, read 243,234 times
A relative of mine worked at the Arlington Courthouse for years. He said the Deputies were a bunch of pathetic losers, who were very disgruntled that they were making less than anyone. They were always ready to start stuff at the entrance.
Total rent-a-cops.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:21 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeva View Post
...even if he was off duty, as a police officer he could carry a firearm pretty much anywhere....
He was not a police officer; he was a deputy sheriff. Their job is not law enforcement; it's guarding and transporting prisoners. In Arlington, I believe all that's requried is a background check and a lot less training--to make I think something like $40K/year for working 25-hour weeks. I used to know a deputy who was a realtor on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia