U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 05:01 PM

14,735 posts, read 10,633,607 times

Advertisements

Virginia is cleaner. And all those other things already mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 06:26 PM

7,968 posts, read 18,087,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
Simple answer: Virginia has a competitive two-party political system that with a few exceptions (see: Cuccinelli, Ken; Moran, Jim) tends to produce pragmatic politicians who generally fall in the golden middle ranging from slightly left of center to slightly right of center (see: Warner, Mark; Warner, John; Wolfe, Frank; Kaine, Tim).

Contrast that to what is essentially a one-party state north of the Potomac that has no political checks and balances to speak of.
To be fair, Maryland's previous governor Robert Ehrlich was a Republican. Also that the dense population in and around the Baltimore and DC metros is responsible for the strong Democratic leanings. I believe much of the area outside there leans conservative.

I do agree that generally speaking Virginia governors and senators tend to be moderate. I also agree that state politicians in NOVA tend to be moderate. I'm not so certain about much of the area outside of here.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:30 PM

7,968 posts, read 18,087,474 times
Virginia is where the preponderance of jobs are in the metro, particularly around Tysons and Dulles. It also helps that there are two relatively convenient airports on our side of the Potomac. That somewhat stronger tax base helps to fund the schools and also makes for more competitive pay and higher housing values/costs.

All of that said, I don't have anything against Maryland. If my wife's career didn't require her to work in VA, there are a few spots I might consider. As it stands, I am content here in the Commonwealth.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 PM

23,648 posts, read 33,445,874 times
I don't necessarily think VA is better than MD it is just works for me better. I work in Arlington and I place a high value on a short commute. If I got a job in MD, I'd probably move there.

One thing I like about VA more is car insurance is cheaper. I did a comparison on insuring my 08 Accord in Rockville with mostly similar coverages and this is my result.

Current Virginia Coverage
$91.95
Estimated monthly premium
$551.69
Six-month premium

Maryland Coverage
$132.16
$792.96
Six-month premium

Old 06-08-2013, 08:55 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,650,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
To be fair, Maryland's previous governor Robert Ehrlich was a Republican. Also that the dense population in and around the Baltimore and DC metros is responsible for the strong Democratic leanings. I believe much of the area outside there leans conservative.

I do agree that generally speaking Virginia governors and senators tend to be moderate. I also agree that state politicians in NOVA tend to be moderate. I'm not so certain about much of the area outside of here.
Voting for Ehrlich was an aberration. If you look at the overall voting pattern it's pretty one sided.

It's true that most of the liberal voting comes from between the two cities, but 90% of the state's population lies in those places too.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,650,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insurance issenter View Post
I don't necessarily think VA is better than MD it is just works for me better. I work in Arlington and I place a high value on a short commute. If I got a job in MD, I'd probably move there.

One thing I like about VA more is car insurance is cheaper. I did a comparison on insuring my 08 Accord in Rockville with mostly similar coverages and this is my result.

Current Virginia Coverage
$91.95
$551.69
Six-month premium

Maryland Coverage
$132.16
$792.96
Six-month premium
My car insurance cut almost in half when I left MD. It went from $96 a month to $55.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:36 AM

15 posts, read 23,104 times
I find most people want to be in VA either because their job is here, or if they have to commute to DC, it tends to be easier to get there from VA. VA just seems to have much more built up infrastructure.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:56 AM

79 posts, read 122,255 times
If you can afford to live anywhere north of 66, its hard to top what VA has to offer. The economy, diversity, amenities, and affordability relative to similar regions are hard to top. Although the affordability is getting squeezed, you just need to move out a bit west and you can still find it.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 AM

617 posts, read 1,157,324 times
So I'm curious how the folks on the Maryland board responded, especially if you phrased the OP the same way.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:01 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,873,297 times
I've noticed that taxes are half a dozen of one 6.5 of the other between the two states.

Property tax is LOWER if you don't live in one of MD's cities. OTOH, city taxes are way higher in MD than in VA. I'm not sure what you're paying for in Rockville, Frederick, etc. With that said, property VALUES are lower in MD than in VA.

You can get a new 4BR SFH in Urbana for under 450k, whereas you're not getting that in Ashburn for under 500k. Frederick's historic core is way different than Leesburg's, but FWIW you can get a TH in Frederick for under 300k, but in Leesburg the 70s/80s vintage THs in/near the historic core are going for 350k or so.

You can get a 3BR SFH within a mile of Rockville Metro for under 400k. You're not even getting a SFH anywhere in Vienna for under 500k.

Income tax is lower in MD but you have the county tax that puts things over the top.

There's no car tax in MD but insurance is higher. But even if you own an old car, insurance + car tax in VA is equal to insurance in MD. If you own a new car or two in VA then you're paying a fair bit for the first couple years.

IMO, the amount of lower tax you pay in VA isn't worth a longer commute, being further from family, etc., It *does*, however, affect a business in its choice of HQ location.

Also you have to consider MD minus Baltimore City and Prince George's. There's nothing in VA to compare them to, really. All the crime in Baltimore City and Prince George's isn't going to affect your purchase along the I-270 corridor on in Annapolis.

MoCo - Fairfax with Bethesda - North Arlington and Silver Spring - South Arlington/Alexandria
Howard - Loudoun
Anne Arundel - Prince William
Frederick - Frederick VA in Loudoun's location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia