U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:17 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,752,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigsh View Post
MAY be moving to the area for a job in the City of Fairfax. Have not visited yet, so I know nothing at this point. Again, I know nothing at this point, except what I've read here. I've perused various threads about living in the area, and my idea from the posts are that if you want a nice sized house, expect to pay a half mil minimum. I was looking online at Marshall, of which I know nothing about, but there are numerous big, new construction homes in newly built suburbs for about $250 ish. Commute is straight shot down 66; map says 35 minutes.

A few q's; How long will this commute actually take? More importantly, why did I find housing so much cheaper than what I heard?
It's not 35 minutes. I drive to Haymarket and back a lot (from Fairfax) and that is 40 minutes with no traffic. My gps program says it's 47 minutes from Marshall to Fairfax on a Monday morning at 7am (in the summer). Personally, I don't believe it though. Also, there will be more traffic when summer is over. Finally, the gps times I have don't include actual addresses - they are to the border of Marshall city/town/whatever. Which means if it's another 5-10 minutes to your actual house, that's added time. I would say that on a good day, the trip would be almost an hour, and on a bad day.....who knows. Using the HOV lanes on 66 would help a little, if you could. If you are not going to be driving in rush hour or near rush hour, it might be doable if your actual home is very convenient to the 66 exit and the place you are going in Fairfax is also. However, I probably would not buy a home out there no matter how good a deal if I had to make that commute every day. Think also about the possibility of changing jobs and ending up in, say, Alexandria or someplace further east. It would be undo-able. I think it's too risky to buy without actually doing the commute for a while first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,752,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post

Warrenton is about 15 minutes away for more extensive shopping -- upscale shopping is another 15 minutes away in Middleburg.
We must have different definitions of upscale shopping. The only thing I've ever seen in Middleburg is overpriced antique stores and super overpriced "gift" stores selling things like homemade soaps and candles. It's a mini tourist trap. The only upscale shopping is in Tysons.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 AM

7,925 posts, read 9,636,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
We must have different definitions of upscale shopping. The only thing I've ever seen in Middleburg is overpriced antique stores and super overpriced "gift" stores selling things like homemade soaps and candles. It's a mini tourist trap. The only upscale shopping is in Tysons.

You either haven't been to Middleburg in years, or was there as a tourist.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:56 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,126,514 times
What upscale shopping is there in Middleburg, pray tell?

Old 06-23-2013, 10:00 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,126,514 times
To the OP: do not live in Marshall and work in Fairfax. You will hate your life. That commute is brutal.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 AM

50 posts, read 54,884 times
Marshall is nice, and has a western town feel. I wouldn't commute farther than Manassas, though. Last time I checked, property taxes were reasonable in Faquier. Nice land.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:04 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,860,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Whether it be overpriced or genuinely upscale I can't say.

Middleburg Online - Shopping

There's some custom clothing makers, etc., there. I can't say if their wares are overpriced but they do seem to use some of the high-end cloth to make their stuff.

Highcliffe, Duchessa, Betsey, English Country Classics, all seem fairly upscale.

Is the selection hugely varied? No, of course not. It is a rural area. There is of course more in Tysons, like Hermes and the things in that pink building.

But, the shopping there is more upscale than say Berkeley Springs (another rural tourist trap-py sort of place). You pay a premium for going to Tysons 2 as well.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:24 PM

493 posts, read 1,007,578 times
Do you mention buying because you're trying to plan long-range? Or you don't like renting for a year or two?

The commutes around here will really shock you.
I would really urge you to experience that (during the times you will be commuting) -- as well as the look/amenities/pricing of the varied communities in the D.C. region -- before you plunk a lot of money down.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:56 PM

7,925 posts, read 9,636,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
The definition of "upscale" is: "luxurious, costly, or elegant". (Notice it doesn't say "and".)

So, even if you only think the items are only over priced (and not quality), it still falls into the "costly" definition of "upscale". But, seriously, I can get the same name brands at Tully Rector that I can get at Neiman Marcus and Saks and other boutiques in Tysons or Bethesda.

If it is a "tourist trap", it is the ONLY one I know that doesn't hawk "Middleburg" t-shirts, magnets, shot glasses, and bumper stickers in every other shop.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:23 PM

3,879 posts, read 5,334,090 times
And, OP, beware of snarky posters who don't know what they are talking about. Middleburg has a Safeway, not a Food Lion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or