U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:43 PM

560 posts, read 1,106,348 times

Advertisements

Hate to post anything negative about Reston, but people should be aware. The other news accounts that I read didnít mention that the last victim was jumped from behind (seems important to me)-

http://m.nbcwashington.com/nbcwashin...tguid=5ZugX8gq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 PM

813 posts, read 1,105,592 times
The story has also been picked up by the Washington Post -- Four Reston robberies, assaults may be linked - The Washington Post as well as the Reston Patch.

Frankly, I hope potential victim number five is an open-carry type of guy and blows the head off of one of them. That should put an end to this crime wave pretty quickly.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:21 PM

560 posts, read 1,106,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
The story has also been picked up by the Washington Post -- Four Reston robberies, assaults may be linked - The Washington Post as well as the Reston Patch.

Frankly, I hope potential victim number five is an open-carry type of guy and blows the head off of one of them. That should put an end to this crime wave pretty quickly.

I agree 100%, they are monsters. The Post article says they "approached the victim" not that they aproached him from behind. Thanks to NBC4, I know to look behind me every so often.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:03 AM

513 posts, read 804,105 times
At least WAPO provides a description of the Perps, unlike they did in the gang bike trail attack in DC>.

The assailants were described as two black males, around 5 feet 9 inches tall and about 150 pounds. One wore an orange tank top and appeared to be in his late teens or early 20s. The other wore a light red polo shirt.
The third suspect was described as possibly Hispanic, around the same height and possibly 18 to 20 years old. He wore a navy and gray striped pants that were loose fitting and possibly a gray shirt.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:48 PM

10 posts, read 34,336 times
Default Reston is so safe compared to most areas in the DC Metro area

I would like to chime in and say that walking around the trails and woods and Lake Anne feels VERY safe. Especially coming from DC, the "safe" part of Capitol Hill where people pay over $500k for a one bedroom apt, there really is no way I would ever call Reston dangerous. Now, tell that to the people attacked - I am sure. its terrible and we will not stand for it. But I want to keep it in perspective here - the fact that this was "news" is a good thing. I can't tell you the number of times that I KNEW of terrible attacks, stabbings, muggings, shootings...horrible things...that happenned on Capitol Hill that did not EVEN make it into the paper or news.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:03 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,801,779 times
seems to be happening near Hunters Woods area, at least based on the Post article. It's important to know this is happening, so people know to be vigilant.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:14 PM

504 posts, read 1,024,342 times
One should always have some situational awareness of the surroundings no matter where he/she is and what time of day. Some "safe" areas might actually be more likely targeted, as they are easier preys for the bad guys.

I sometimes play "mental quizzes" with my son walking down the street (especially when we are on vacation or in unfamiliar places) or grab him from certain angles - what do you do when someone does this or that, etc.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:19 PM

320 posts, read 400,612 times
Well, at least a few arrests have been made in connection to the June attacks near Pinecrest:
Police Make Arrests in Reston Bike Path Assault - Breaking News - Reston, VA Patch

Old 07-31-2013, 02:14 PM

14 posts, read 40,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
The assailants were described as two black males, around 5 feet 9 inches tall and about 150 pounds. One wore an orange tank top and appeared to be in his late teens or early 20s. The other wore a light red polo shirt.
The third suspect was described as possibly Hispanic, around the same height and possibly 18 to 20 years old. He wore a navy and gray striped pants that were loose fitting and possibly a gray shirt.
Be sure to call the police if you see individuals matching this description UNLESS the individuals are a racial minority. If you are suspicious and call the police on racial minorities, you are racial profiling. If a minority individual attacks you, DO NOT fight back. You may cause them injury and be charged with a hate crime.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:01 PM

18 posts, read 25,421 times
Default Minority should be replaced with something more specific

Generally, Asians can be easily picked upon. It's harder for the whites. A bit more for hispanics. Nobody touches the blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia