Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:50 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,492 times

Advertisements

I'd worry more about your job and where your family/friends are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 01:33 PM

38 posts, read 59,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I'd worry more about your job and where your family/friends are.
We own a fitness business that is virtually all done online.. So it doesnt really matter where we live in the country we just perfer living outside of a major city. We are very friendly and will make friends wherever we live so again, thats not a big deal.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:26 PM

406 posts, read 619,613 times
Agree that both areas would be pretty interchangeable to an "outsider" - but there are some differences. Both are strong job markets, but science jobs are much more plentiful in MD vs. high tech jobs expanding in the Dulles corridor, for example

Old 06-17-2013, 09:28 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
If you work online and don't have to commute, there are many sizable cities that have much cheaper COL than the Washington area -- although the cultural attractions and overall sophistication of Washington are outstanding. And if you do live in the Washington area, you may want to pick a neighborhood away from public transportation, since housing in those areas is much costlier, and you won't be needing to commute to work. Do you have children? And will your spouse be working, and if so, in what field?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:50 AM

16 posts, read 37,149 times
My husband and I are trying to move OUT of the area for a better family life. Even without children, a commute can be very taxing. I've been taking the metro to work for 4 years now and I am just over it. We're having our first baby soon and I can't imagine how it will be working day care into the morning and evening commute routines... Same would go for getting older children to school and activities. I just don't know how people do it in this area!!

I agree with slowlane3 about cost of living issue.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:20 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,218 times
If you can live anywhere, then I would decide whether you want urban, suburban, or rural. You can do all 3 in MD or VA outside of DC.

You might want to go with a different strategy and post what you want and have people here recommend areas. (i.e. Looking for a SFH 600K to 700K, in a friendly suburban neighborhood with good activities for kids(?) outside of DC--where should we move? etc...etc...)

Old 06-18-2013, 01:50 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhc99 View Post
We own a fitness business that is virtually all done online.. So it doesnt really matter where we live in the country we just perfer living outside of a major city. We are very friendly and will make friends wherever we live so again, thats not a big deal.
You might want to read some threads about the DC area. It isn't as friendly as lots of places in the country because of the long commutes and hours people work here. Not like they are mean, its just a lot don't have time to get to know neighbors or make new friend when they don't have time to spend with their existing friends. Honestly, I wouldn't move here unless it was job related. It's just too expensive and work obsessed.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:06 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,776 times
The naysayers are starting to come out, but I would note this about many of them, generally speaking. There are a lot of transplants in the DC area, many of which have never lived in one of America's major metropolitan areas before moving here. As a result, a lot of them have a hard time coping with some of the day to day realities of living in such a place - expensive housing, long commutes, dual income families, urban unfriendliness, etc. Because all they have to compare are more mid-size metro or rural areas where the cost of living is much cheaper and the pace of life is much slower, they think the DC area is a uniquely terrible place to live.

While I don't personally have a lot of experience with Seattle and the culture and lifestyle there, my presumption would be that it has some similarities to some of the other major metro areas in which I have lived - Philadelphia, SF Bay Area, San Diego. Assuming it does, I don't think there is much that you will find to be so terrible about living in this area. To the contrary, you might find that this area is more friendly, cheaper cost of living in categories other than housing, and filled with a lot of cultural amenities and options for living that put it at least on par with America's other great cities. There are pluses and minuses to living here just like there are anywhere else, but it sounds like it could very well have some qualities for which you are looking. Of course, you might move here and hate it, but I would take what some of the naysayers on here say with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia