U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 03:35 PM

1,559 posts, read 3,181,508 times

Advertisements

For all you legal gurus out there. I am paranoid about my house. I'm going to be selling it shortly and I cringe with every storm, wind, etc. because I see other's roofs, siding, starting to come off...the place is 10 years old. Every day when I drive by the back of my townhouse I do a scan to check for shingles, siding, etc. I even alerted my neighbor to their siding being off...they didn't fix it for months....

Be that as it may. I arrive home to see a ladder up against my townhouse neighbors roof and I see that siding from our townhouse has been removed. The neighbor says that they had been getting water damage for quite some time and that they had a realtor over last week who saw that and the only thing they could find was coming from our side. He claims that the siding has been gone for at least a couple of weeks. He says it will be $300 to fix because our side caused the damage and our siding was missing and the now the contractor has to find new to match it and that he'll be back tomorrow.

I go out and take a look and next to a caulking gun that was left on his roof is lo and behold what appears to be our siding sitting in a small pile (here's hoping the wind doesn't blow it away). I ask my other neighbor who walks her dog daily behind our units (we are both paranoid) and she says - it wasn't missing earlier. I said - I didn't think so because I look at it every time I drive by....

What should we do, how do we approach this situation? I'm pretty peeved that they are trying to say that the siding is missing when the siding is/was there. The neighbor is just assuming now that we are going to pay for it. I also don't like the idea that they just started taking apart part of our siding without our permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 04:04 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,967,707 times
I would talk to your HOA and/or a lawyer. You're right; that is UNHEARD OF to do something to a neighbor's property without permission. They should have involved you from the very get-go.

This whole thing smells like a scam to me.

Sorry and good luck!

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 06-16-2013 at 05:31 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 04:56 PM

803 posts, read 1,623,677 times
hmm.. thats ridiculous.

i would take a video and picture as evidence of your now discarded siding, call the HOA if you live in an association like that. and then make a police report. i think at the very least, its considered property damage.

Approaching them will be awkward. u can always tell them that if there was a problem, instead of damaging your property they could have contacted you directly. they had no rite to do that. u can let them know that you have already been in contact with the appropriate authorities regarding the situation. dont pay anything until u speak with a lawyer.

Last edited by Mandy612; 06-16-2013 at 06:07 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 05:50 PM

14,724 posts, read 10,613,501 times
In my opinion they are trying to get you to pay for the damages on their home. Take pictures and video - of the house, including very close up pictures of the area where the siding is missing, and of the now broken siding. Matter of fact, if you are positive that is your siding, take it and place it in a bag. I think you will need to file an offical report of some type immediately. It would be good if you can find slightly older pictures of the home with the siding still intact. You may end up having to go to court with these people.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 PM

13,093 posts, read 19,923,341 times
Sounds like fraud. Call the cops.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:34 PM

I would not attempt to take any of the siding back; I think that could hurt your case. I would take tons of photos and then call the police. And a lawyer. What these people have done is absurd. You could easily sue them to repair the damage.

I wonder if your homeowner's insurance would help.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:52 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,827,569 times
That is really odd. Townhouses can share a roof, so replacing any part of that is typically going to involve neighbors, but siding isn't usually shared in the same way (granted, I suppose it is possible), but I think the HOA isn't going to be the one to do anything about this. I would imagine that you either have to file a claim with your insurance after you file a police report and take a lot of pictures.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:47 PM

5,048 posts, read 6,945,356 times
Take your siding back and call the police or whoever does your law enforcement re the theft AND the neighbor's and siding company's theft. I doubt you'll be the only one that has filed against his name for theft. There was probably nothing even wrong with the neighbor's house. The neighbor probably looks for marks for this siding guy. Mostly older or single women I bet.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:50 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,181,508 times
The contractor is coming out this morning and the siding is still up on my neighbor's roof. The ladder is set up on the the stairs and it goes up three stories, so I'm a little afraid to climb it. The neighbor had recently moved out and it isn't like we hadn't known them....they have been gone for over a month now. I just can't believe they thought it was acceptable to remove our siding and then acted like it was missing....I can tell you that it wasn't missing. My husband will be home and see what is going on when the contractor arrives. I already checked with the HOA and they can't do anything. They said to call the police and get a lawyer. A lawyer would probably wind up costing more than the 'repairs'. I'm thinking because we 'knew' these neighbors - we were friendly with them, they just thought it was acceptable? I don't know. Only the husband was there yesterday afternoon and he knew I was not happy.

So, now that they've opened up this 'can of worms'. We might as well approach them regarding a 'weed tree' growing in their backyward through the common fence. We we kept asking them to cut it and they didn't. We kept cutting it from our side and finally they listened and cut part of it on their side (although it is growing back because they didn't kill it). Now the fence between us is heavily damaged with the nails coming out from the force of the 'tree'. I suppose we can have them do something about that since they want us to do something about their issue.

If this isn't resolved this morning when the contractor shows than I'll call the police and file a report. I didn't want to be 'hard core' with these neighbors since, like I said, we did know them. But, I feel like what they've done has definitely crossed over the line....and they just don't get it.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:58 AM

They moved out; why are you worried about upping the ante?

These people totally disrespected your rights. I would take photos and call the police BEFORE you have a contractor disturb the evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia