U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2013, 09:44 AM
 
3,156 posts, read 8,102,965 times
Reputation: 1977

Advertisements

Yeah I was gonna say...

I'm an "echo boomer" or "millenial" and my first HDTV was a few years after I graduated college. First cell phone was after college, first presidential election was '00, 9/11 was during college, and, when I graduated, the economy was so-so, but not nearly as bad as it was during the "Great Recession".

Point being, it's really tough to generalize a generation that spans 15-20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
745 posts, read 909,930 times
Reputation: 871
Good. The more, the merrier. I loved living in Crystal City and working in Rosslyn, despite DC hipsters giving it a bad rap. I love the corporate, glass-and-concrete feel of certain parts of Arlington. It just looks and feels so....so.... clean and efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM
 
326 posts, read 585,088 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Yeah I was gonna say...

I'm an "echo boomer" or "millenial" and my first HDTV was a few years after I graduated college. First cell phone was after college, first presidential election was '00, 9/11 was during college, and, when I graduated, the economy was so-so, but not nearly as bad as it was during the "Great Recession".

Point being, it's really tough to generalize a generation that spans 15-20 years.
True, I made my statements based on the middle portion of the generation like myself. The years with the highest birthrates for the millenial generation were 1989 and 1990, so it makes sense pretty much from any direction you look at it. But you are right, there are some millenials who didn't get a cell phone until college and some who probably had one in elementary school.

Last edited by hgnmx; 06-25-2013 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 07:55 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,739 posts, read 8,952,016 times
Reputation: 3857
Wow, you Millennials sure are different from us Xers. I didn't get a cellphone till 2005--many, many jobs into my career. Even now, I hate to get calls, and I don't answer half the time--because I've left it in another room. I think Bookface is a sad waste of time and fully believe it will disappear in 10 years--or be a niche hobby, like people who restore Commodore 64s. My generation loves cars and hates working in groups. The generation I most identify with is the Silent Generation (those born in the '30s).

The generation I most admire is the GI (Greatest) Generation--and not just for winning WWII (as great an achievement as that was). The Boomers get all the credit for the social advances of the '60s--but people forget that the Boomers were kids when that happened. The people who actually passed the laws and put their lives on the line (MLK, LBJ, et al.) were of the Greatest Generation. Even the groundbreaking musicians of the '60s (the Doors, the Beatles, the Stones) were/are of the Greatest Generation.

Arlington has always had lots of young people. The only difference is that pre-2002 or so, they were "normal" young people (i.e., in starter jobs, without tons of money). The only young single people who can afford it now are living off their parents' money--or perhaps sharing a divey house with 4 other young people. The County's push to sell off all buildings/land near the Metro to developers has increased the supply of expensive condos/apartments but drastically reduced the supply of moderately priced apartments--other than the County-subsidized ones that are off-limits to all but those making less than $20K a year.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 06-25-2013 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 AM
 
2,462 posts, read 8,046,748 times
Reputation: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
The only young single people who can afford it now are living off their parents' money--or perhaps sharing a divey house with 4 other young people.
I know five recent college grads living in Arlington. Three guys each making under $45K and two young ladies making a bit less. The ladies are sharing a lovely brand-new 1BR apt near Courthouse. The guys are sharing a 2BR apt in an older building around the corner. None of them are being supported by their parents. I don't think they are that unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,645,058 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
I know five recent college grads living in Arlington. Three guys each making under $45K and two young ladies making a bit less. The ladies are sharing a lovely brand-new 1BR apt near Courthouse. The guys are sharing a 2BR apt in an older building around the corner. None of them are being supported by their parents. I don't think they are that unique.
They aren't I knew atleast a dozen people who did the same exact thing including my fiance out of college. Our generation just didnt need the space, the things, or the labels. That is what sets most of us apart. We are perfectly fine with our 250 sf to ourselves as long as there is good stuff around to do and see and eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 02:49 PM
 
5,071 posts, read 8,624,346 times
Reputation: 2722
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
They aren't I knew atleast a dozen people who did the same exact thing including my fiance out of college. Our generation just didnt need the space, the things, or the labels. That is what sets most of us apart. We are perfectly fine with our 250 sf to ourselves as long as there is good stuff around to do and see and eat.
This sounds more like one of our pets than any generation of humans I've come across, whether in NoVa or elsewhere. Add "dig up" to "do and see and eat" and it's a perfect description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 02:54 PM
 
326 posts, read 585,088 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
This sounds more like one of our pets than any generation of humans I've come across, whether in NoVa or elsewhere. Add "dig up" to "do and see and eat" and it's a perfect description.
Not likely. That type of living is already prevalent in Europe and Japan as well as heavily dense cities such as San Francisco and NYC in America. "Human living space of the future" would be more accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,645,058 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
This sounds more like one of our pets than any generation of humans I've come across, whether in NoVa or elsewhere. Add "dig up" to "do and see and eat" and it's a perfect description.
Why is this kind of living so disturbing to some people. You do understand that hotel rooms are rarely ever bigger than 400sf right? If you get 250sf to yourself (ie sharing with 2 other people a 800sf-1000sf space, with a 250sf common area for kitchen or living room) that is tons of space. Its also a matter of what that space is like. Is it crowded, hot, stuffy? Or is it open, high end finishes, and central air?

Its really not a big deal living with less space. Go on vacation for a couple weeks in a high end hotel in a great city you like. You will not care less as long as its clean and a good place to sleep in

You dont live in your home when you do that, you live in your city.

For goodness sake, in college people share 200sf spaces (dorm rooms) between 2 sometimes 3 people. When your gym is elsewhere, food is elsewhere, entertainment is elsewhere, and children are not to be found then it is quite easy and comfortable I assure you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,587 posts, read 33,342,895 times
Reputation: 32233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Why is this kind of living so disturbing to some people. You do understand that hotel rooms are rarely ever bigger than 400sf right? If you get 250sf to yourself (ie sharing with 2 other people a 800sf-1000sf space, with a 250sf common area for kitchen or living room) that is tons of space. Its also a matter of what that space is like. Is it crowded, hot, stuffy? Or is it open, high end finishes, and central air?

Its really not a big deal living with less space. Go on vacation for a couple weeks in a high end hotel in a great city you like. You will not care less as long as its clean and a good place to sleep in

You dont live in your home when you do that, you live in your city.

For goodness sake, in college people share 200sf spaces (dorm rooms) between 2 sometimes 3 people. When your gym is elsewhere, food is elsewhere, entertainment is elsewhere, and children are not to be found then it is quite easy and comfortable I assure you.
I don't agree with you much but I do here. I'd love to have my own place but sharing isn't so bad. I spent most of the weekend out of the apt so I hardly notice my roommate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:22 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top