Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM

179 posts, read 296,918 times

Advertisements

For all of those that work in Tysons Corner, where do you live and commute from? How far are you willing to commute? I am thinking about moving to Ashburn and considering this via non-toll road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 12:30 PM

9,860 posts, read 13,979,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle4Life View Post
For all of those that work in Tysons Corner, where do you live and commute from? How far are you willing to commute? I am thinking about moving to Ashburn and considering this via non-toll road.
Ashburn via to Tysons via Toll Road? - not so bad, especially if you leave early or later.
Ashburn to Tysons without the Toll Road? - why?? this will likely take you an hour or more.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:33 PM

179 posts, read 296,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Ashburn via to Tysons via Toll Road? - not so bad, especially if you leave early or later.
Ashburn to Tysons without the Toll Road? - why?? this will likely take you an hour or more.
Why? Because that cost adds up fast on a daily basis.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:36 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,898,650 times
Quote:
I never had to take the greenway, but I worked in Reston while living in Crystal City. I once took 7 instead of 267. When I calculated the difference in time lost at work/wear and tear on the car, it absolutely cost less to use the toll road.

I think it was a 30 minute difference in time to save $2 (or whatever it was at the time). My time is worth a heck of a lot more than $4/hour.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:38 PM

9,860 posts, read 13,979,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I never had to take the greenway, but I worked in Reston while living in Crystal City. I once took 7 instead of 267. When I calculated the difference in time lost at work/wear and tear on the car, it absolutely cost less to use the toll road.

I think it was a 30 minute difference in time to save $2 (or whatever it was at the time). My time is worth a heck of a lot more than $4/hour.
Exactly.

Quote:
The extra gas you will be using as you crawl down Rt 7 will also add up fast on a daily basis.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:58 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,179,438 times
I worked a couple years in McLean, right across the Beltway from Tyson's and commuted from Centreville - it was not fun. Though it was quick to get used to the traffic flow (thus totally expecting pretty much everything that was coming), taking 45+ minutes or so each way simply wasn't enjoyable. The backup consistently started at the Parkway (using 66) and extended all the way to the Beltway, easing til the McLean location, then coming back from the location til route 28 (though after 50 there was a slight easing).

Old 06-25-2013, 12:59 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,297,072 times
Quote:
Since I am part of the group of people you are asking upon (work in Tysons), i suppose I will answer to. I live in Tysons

Old 06-25-2013, 02:11 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,298,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Exactly.

The extra gas you will be using as you crawl down Rt 7 will also add up fast on a daily basis.
The greenway is what now, $6 each way? Add another $2 for the tollroad portion and you're looking at $16 a day. There's no way it's costing someone $16/day in extra gas/wear & tear on your car from not using the tollroad. So the OP is right, it absolutely will cost him/her more money. Now what your time is worth is another story, because that is where the cost of not using the tollroads will be steep.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,494,807 times
I'd consider finding a way to 7/Waxpool, then taking 28 + the toll road.

Belmont Ridge and Lexington (I think) will become interchanged in the next couple years, making the Greenway less and less valuable.

Sterling is an ocean of red lights especially on the way home, and Tysons itself will be a zoo.

I live in Leesburg. Tysons is as far in as I'd go.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:27 PM

301 posts, read 688,431 times
Until 4 years ago, I worked in Tysons for several years. During that time I lived in Arlington (near East Falls Church Metro), then I moved to Tysons/Falls Church across from the Pimmit Library, and then I moved to Merrifield between Dunn Loring and Vienna metro. In all cases, the commute was pretty easy. Depending on the type of home you're looking for and what type of commute you're willing to deal with, I'd probably try to stay in the Vienna/Great Falls/Reston area, Falls Church near East and West Falls Church Metros, McLean, or Annandale/Fairfax areas bordering Merrifield. I'm not saying these places are cheap, but the commute would be very reasonable from any of these locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia