U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 04:33 PM

3,666 posts, read 4,901,282 times

Advertisements

hi,
i can't find this info for the life of me!!!!!
does anyone know what the setback reqs are for residential additions?
(extending an existing garage and want to know how close to the property line i can build)

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:17 AM

244 posts, read 479,837 times
Took me 30 seconds:

http://www.loudoun.gov/documents/3/6...0Ordinance.PDF

Fairfax has a nice table to reference. Looks like Loudoun's is not as clear. Find out the zoning of your property and find the relevant section in the ordinance to figure out what your setback is.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 AM

took you 30 seconds to find what? lol you still don't have the answer. I've seen that document and went through it....i can't even find which freakin zone i'm in lol

you're right though....ffx has made it very easy! why is it so damn hard to find the actual setback requirements for my property?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:44 PM

968 posts, read 1,437,032 times
If you have an HOA, also check with them. My HOA documents specify that any additions or even our driveway must be at least 5 feet from the adjoining property line.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:43 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,633,331 times
@thinking man, first you need to figure out what zone you are in, because asking what a setback in Loudoun County is, is like asking what the maximum number of lots you can build is, or the height of any building anywhere in the county. There is no such one standard.

If you are in A-1 agro land its a heck of a lot different than R-1, R-4, etc

If you figure out the zoning then you can figure out all the requirements.

@JB - Accessory unit (ie sheds, canopies, above ground pools, below ground pools) setbacks are different than building setbacks. Not sure which one he is really after, but thought I'd make that distinction. Saw a custom homebuilder lose $22,000 in foundation work by making that mistake once.

Loudoun County Mapping GIS

Open up the plus sign on the left next to zoning, and turn on zoning and zoning labels. Then go near your neighborhood and read the label.

Come back on here when you have that, and I can give you an actual answer

PS its easiest when you find your neighborhood without the zoning coloring on, just the labels, then turn on the coloring once you have found your neighborhood and use the legend if there isn't an adjacent label near by

Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 PM

thank you everyone for your responses......the online info is crap....i called the county today....(in case anyone is interested in answer....), at least 9' from the property line....but 5' if you are 16' away from the neighbor's house, and 3 other requirements, all of which i meet :-)

thanks again.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 PM

244 posts, read 479,837 times
Just in case someone else browses this thread looking for similar info: the numbers posted by Thinking-Man is useless to anyone else without knowing what zoning his property is in. Don't look at his numbers thinking that it's the same for all properties in the county. It isn't.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:00 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,817,969 times
Bringing up an old one here, but have a question myself about this. I'm in Leesburg (outside of city limits though). My zone is PDH3.

I recently replaced an existing "dry-stack" retaining wall that had been there for years and was failing. Replaced it with a paver wall from Belgard. Max height point is around 20 inches.

Setup: Looking at my plat, I see this line running across the front yard labeled "25' B.R.L", and I'm thinking that is the setback line? My retaining wall exceeds this line by several feet, but still leaves me with at least 15 feet to the street and at least 30 feet to my neighbor's property.

Question: do retaining walls (especially less than 20 inches tall) qualify as a violation of the setback restrictions? And if so, would a dry-stack retaining wall be considered different than a paver wall?

When I bought the house, the HOA inspected and gave a clean bill of health. I just assumed since I was replacing something that was already there at the same height and footprint, and HOA didn't cite it, that I was in the clear. I am hoping that is indeed the case? Too late for me to call Loudoun tonight to discuss.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia